Israel And The Palestinians

xbl

Here is what Obama said when he visited Sderot in Israel during the election campaign:

What funding does the 'Jewish lobby' give to Israel? Israel is a modern state, with a modern economy. A quick glance at some stats says that US economic aid to Israel was worth around 0.1% of GDP.

Whilst I see Obama's point, I can also equally see the argument that if a country was forcing my children to live in gut wrenching poverty I'd feel compelled to react against them. The idea that the provocation is one-sided is ludicrous.

An even better fact is that US Economic Aid runs at about $3 Billion dollars a year under the condition that a major percentage of that is spent on millitary hardware purchased from US companies.

Because Israel refused to be reasonable.

so because the other side didnt agree to something, hamas says f**k it lets get the rockets out again,we have had so much success down that route in the past

Edited by doulikefish

so because the other side didnt agree to something, hamas says f**k it lets get the rockets out again,we have had so much success down that route in the past

I don't agree with their actions precisely because I don't believe it will work. I can, however, see the justification for fighting against an oppressive regime.

Theres another thread on this, but using that quote alone " criminal and terrorist Zionist regime" is NOT the same as the country itself!

Semantics as you well know. Name me one other country that could be said to be "Zionist" or else refrain from pointless scoring based on literalism. Ya fanny. :P

They will never sort this out.

Israel is a terrorist state funded and presided over by the most powerful country in the World.

It is the main reason for terrorism and hatred towards the West but due to the Holocaust and a powerful Jewish Lobby in the States they get away with blowing up innocent people.

The Palestinians are only attacking them in sheer desperation and frustration.

What funding does the 'Jewish lobby' give to Israel? Israel is a modern state, with a modern economy. A quick glance at some stats says that US economic aid to Israel was worth around 0.1% of GDP.

A quick google found this on the Washington Report on Middle East Affairs website:

http://www.wrmea.com/html/us_aid_to_israel.htm

Total U.S. aid to Israel is approximately one-third of the American foreign-aid budget, even though Israel comprises just .001 percent of the world's population and already has one of the world's higher per capita incomes

That's enough to keep the wolf from the door...

An even better fact is that US Economic Aid runs at about $3 Billion dollars a year under the condition that a major percentage of that is spent on millitary hardware purchased from US companies.

Regarding US military aid, there are numerous countries who also recieve US aid. Israel is also a major US ally in a region not noted for having many US friendly regimes.

Anyway, the point is not how much aid Israel recieves but the idea that the US funds Israel due to the mechanations of the 'Jewish lobby'.

I don't agree with their actions precisely because I don't believe it will work. I can, however, see the justification for fighting against an oppressive regime.

so you agree with the policy of ,if the other side doesnae agree we will launch rockets at it???

ever thought of applying for a job in the un??

They will never sort this out.

Israel is a terrorist state funded and presided over by the most powerful country in the World.

It is the main reason for terrorism and hatred towards the West but due to the Holocaust and a powerful Jewish Lobby in the States they get away with blowing up innocent people.

The Palestinians are only attacking them in sheer desperation and frustration.

:lol::lol:

Yep they have only started killing Israelis in the past year or two.

Yep they have only started killing Israelis in the past year or two.

Did I say that?

Anyway how does one wee pishy firework=100's dead + tv station blown up?

Edited by DAFC

Regarding US military aid, there are numerous countries who also recieve US aid. Israel is also a major US ally in a region not noted for having many US friendly regimes.

Anyway, the point is not how much aid Israel recieves but the idea that the US funds Israel due to the mechanations of the 'Jewish lobby'.

Apologies for not making this clear. You are absolutely correct on this point. It's a patently absurd suggestion that I assume was only possible due to poor phraseology.

so you agree with the policy of ,if the other side doesnae agree we will launch rockets at it???

ever thought of applying for a job in the un??

No but my application for the ICC is partly complete :lol: .

Please note; I said I disagree with it because I don't believe it will work. This is because I believe that violence merely breeds violence. I also said I understood. Clear difference.

Okay then, I will live in your house and you can f**k off into that crowded slum area?

Does that sound okay?

Oh, and if you don't like it my big bully friend will batter you with his big stick.

Israel has no right to occupy that land.

Yes the Arabs stole it from the Romans and the Romans stole it from the Jews but where do we stop?

Move all the Anglo Saxons back to Germany and everyone out of America?

Was it not the case that the last time peace talks were progressing Sharon walked through the Temple Mount and started another intifada?

Edited by DAFC

A quick google found this on the Washington Report on Middle East Affairs website:

http://www.wrmea.com/html/us_aid_to_israel.htm

That's enough to keep the wolf from the door...

No-one would dispute that the US provides a significant level of military aid to Israel. I don't think this is because of a mendacious Jewish lobby. Israel is an ally of the US in an important strategic region, you'd expect it to provide aid to this country.

The US provides almost as much military aid to Egypt as it does to Israel but no-one would suggest that the Egyptian lobby have influenced this.

No-one would dispute that the US provides a significant level of military aid to Israel. I don't think this is because of a mendacious Jewish lobby. Israel is an ally of the US in an important strategic region, you'd expect it to provide aid to this country.

The US provides almost as much military aid to Egypt as it does to Israel but no-one would suggest that the Egyptian lobby have influenced this.

around 2 billion usd a year to egypt

They are one of the most powerful lobbies within the US, along with the Cubans.

Now I am sure the US would fund Israel to some extent anyway, but they are very good at keeping issues that effect Israel near the top of American foreign policy. Obviously this comes into play at election time when parties are trying to raise campaign funds.

You just need to look at the candidates in the last US election both made great play that Israel and Cuban issues would remain a US priority and they would not soften their foreign policies where these countries were concerned. In fact even in the primaries Hilary Clinton made a great play of this, so I don't think the influence of the Israeli lobby on American foreign policy can be understated.

I cannot see Gaza and the West Bank being one viable Palestinian state. Perhaps it'd be easier (if not necessarily better) to create two Palestinian states, both of which seem from my very limited view to be economically viable. If Hamas in Gaza then continued with aggressive acts, Israel could play them off against the West Bank. Reading from Aaranovitch's article (I think), we certainly need more carrots in this peace process. Treating the West bank seperately from Gaza might just do that.

Edited by vikingTON

Yes it does. It has a UN mandate and is recognised as a state. Whether it is morally correct or not is a whole different ball game.

Not the land it took in 1967.

A number of international bodies, including the United Nations Security Council, the International Court of Justice, the European Union, Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch and many legal scholars have characterized the settlements as a violation of international law, but other legal scholars, Israel, and the Anti-Defamation League disagree with this assessment. (See Legal background)