Israel And The Palestinians

xbl

What are the thoughts of people on this latest attempt to find the final solution?

For the last couple of years Israel has been gradually starving the Gaza strip, in an effort to break Hamas (which was originally democratically elected, just like Arafat was), and then they act all surprised when an oppressed and starving people get violent!

At the moment they are (amusingly enough) trying to find a final solution, ignoring hundred of years of precedent about what violence achieves. Short of killing everyone in the West Bank and Gaza (which even they probably wouldn't do), there is no military way for them to achieve peace. This latest invasion will achieve the square root of f**k all, just like all their previous attempts.

Listening to the arguments on the radio they cant even agree who started it.

It is a serious problem in a very troubled area. Israel by the look of things will go in on the ground and things will escalate .Although there can only ever be one winner.

I wonder if the Israelies fear Obama in a way,will he be as supportive of them as the Rebublicans.Or will he ratchet up the peace process,maybe even Israel fear that.

Im afraid it is a case of two wrongs dont make a right as far as i can see,a battle lost in stats of how many civillians were killed by which side.Your atrocity was worse than ours. Heads need rattled togeather.

Where is Tony Blair i thought he was going to save the middle east,if he is not up to the job send Gordon i saved the world Brown. This should be a piece of cake to him.

What are the thoughts of people on this latest attempt to find the final solution?

For the last couple of years Israel has been gradually starving the Gaza strip, in an effort to break Hamas (which was originally democratically elected, just like Arafat was), and then they act all surprised when an oppressed and starving people get violent!

At the moment they are (amusingly enough) trying to find a final solution, ignoring hundred of years of precedent about what violence achieves. Short of killing everyone in the West Bank and Gaza (which even they probably wouldn't do), there is no military way for them to achieve peace. This latest invasion will achieve the square root of f**k all, just like all their previous attempts.

Disgusting choice of words there, well done.

Israel has a right to defend itself and to attack installations that are used to launch attacks on it's citizens. The issue is that this reaction is probably what Hamas wanted to achieve. After the ending of their ceasefire they immediately launched rocket attacks on Israel, I don't think anyone could be in any doubt what the response would be.

I think the approach from Israel has to be to ensure that the rocket attacks stop whilst advancing the peace process by moving things forward in the West Bank. Hindsight is always 20-20 but I imagine that if the post-1967 period could be lived again there are probably no Israeli's who would allow the settlements in the West Bank to be built. David Aaronovitch had an interesting quote from Shimon Peres in his column yesterday - the problem with the peace process isn't that there is no light at the end of the tunnell - there is light but no tunnel.

:lol:

That would be somewhat ironic would it not?

Ironic it may be, however, given the 'international community's' nauseating acceptance of Israeli policy in the West Bank and Gaza it is the most realistic.

It is also worth noting that there is no genuine prospect (currently) of a peaceful 2 state solution. The Israelis are not going back to their original borders and people who are prepared to fight tanks with stones are unlikely to accept that.

[quote name='Xbass Threepwood' date='Dec 31 2008, 10:34' post='3031847'

That would be somewhat ironic would it not?

ironic it would be but i reckon a lot of the peacful arab nations would like to see the palestinian problem disappear!!

ironic it would be but i reckon a lot of the peacful arab nations would like to see the palestinian problem disappear!!

Certainly the Egyptians would be delighted at a Hamas defeat. Egyptian border guards have actually fired on Palestinians trying to cross the border. Egypt have also kept the border closed in the past fwe months, the government of Mubarak is vehemently opposed to the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood in their own country who have close links to Hamas.

Israel has a right to defend itself and to attack installations that are used to launch attacks on it's citizens. The issue is that this reaction is probably what Hamas wanted to achieve. After the ending of their ceasefire they immediately launched rocket attacks on Israel, I don't think anyone could be in any doubt what the response would be.

I think the approach from Israel has to be to ensure that the rocket attacks stop whilst advancing the peace process by moving things forward in the West Bank. Hindsight is always 20-20 but I imagine that if the post-1967 period could be lived again there are probably no Israeli's who would allow the settlements in the West Bank to be built. David Aaronovitch had an interesting quote from Shimon Peres in his column yesterday - the problem with the peace process isn't that there is no light at the end of the tunnell - there is light but no tunnel.

It's far from certain that the latest rocket attacks - which, while I completely condemn, are pretty modest when compared to the retaliation - are being launched by Hamas. They didn't stop the launches, true, but are we not getting close to collective punishment if we assume that the launches were orchestrated by Hamas?

Israel lacks any sense of proportionality, but it's in their interests to act this way as they don't want a two-state solution. I don't envision this conflict ending until one side is completely wiped out.

For Israel to treat another group of people in the way they do with Palestine, after the way the Jews have been treated throughout history is abhorrent.

That's correct. It's like making a defence for child abuse because you, yourself were abused as a child.

In what way?

Yes. Hamas knew what they were doing. Will the attacks keep Israels citzens safe, or will they make things worse?

I think the approach from Israel has to be to ensure that the rocket attacks stop whilst advancing the peace process by moving things forward in the West Bank.

You mean continuing to move the wall forward to split the west bank in half?

Egypt have also kept the border closed in the past fwe months, the government of Mubarak is vehemently opposed to the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood in their own country who have close links to Hamas.

Ah yes, Egypt the democratic and free good guys!

Yes. Hamas knew what they were doing. Will the attacks keep Israels citzens safe, or will they make things worse?

if israel shows any weakness to people that chuck some rockets into it,it would only encourage others to join,so in the long run it will keep israelies safe

if israel shows any weakness to people that chuck some rockets into it,it would only encourage others to join,so in the long run it will keep israelies safe

From where I'm standing it looks like the exact opposite. Every disproportionate action breeds more resentment.