Snooker

RedWeb

Will be in attendance at the AECC tomorrow night for the Premier League games. Stephen Hendry v John Higgins is the main reason for this. Also O'Sullivan v Murphy. Been a couple of years since I've seen any live action, looking forward to it.

A decent night's entertainment this evening - both matches still alive going into the sixth frame. Sadly only one century, coming in the first frame of the night, with several other breakdowns in the 70s and 80s from all four players. Did enjoy Murphy's exhibition black right round the table though.

• 1 month later...

The UK championship started today and some games have been played but none completed.

Shaun Murphy (Eng) 5-3 Gerard Greene (NI)

Stephen Maguire (Sco) 4-4 Michael Holt (Eng)

Mark Selby (Eng) 1-0 Jamie Cope (Eng)

Mark King (Eng) 5-2 Anthony Hamilton (Eng)

Ryan Day (Wal) 0-0 Liang Wenbo (Chn)

Neil Robertson (Aus) 2-0 Tom Ford (Eng)

All best of 17 frames so first to 9 wins

SECOND ROUND (best of 17 frames) Mark Selby (Eng) 5-3 Stephen Hendry (Sco)

Stuart Bingham (Eng) 2-6 Stephen Maguire (Sco)

Liang Wenbo (Chn) 7-1 Mark King (Eng)

Neil Robertson (Aus) 3-5 John Higgins (Sco)

Shaun Murphy (Eng) v Ding Junhui (Chn)

Stephen Lee (Eng) v Allister Carter (Eng)

Peter Lines (Eng) v Mark Williams (Wal)

Ronnie O'Sullivan (Eng) v Peter Ebdon (Eng)

FIRST ROUND (best of 17 frames) Result: Allister Carter (Eng) 9-7 Rory McLeod (Eng)

Result: Ding Junhui (Chn) 9-5 Mike Dunn (Eng)

Result: Marco Fu (HK) 3-9 Peter Lines (Eng)

Result: Ronnie O'Sullivan (Eng) 9-3 Matthew Stevens (Wal)

Result: John Higgins (Sco) 9-7 Ricky Walden (Eng)

Result: Mark Allen (NI) 8-9 Stephen Lee (Eng)

Result: Stephen Hendry (Sco) 9-6 Steve Davis (Eng)

Result: Peter Ebdon (Eng) 9-4 Judd Trump (Eng)

Result: Mark Selby (Eng) 9-8 Jamie Cope (Eng)

Result: Joe Perry (Eng) 4-9 Stuart Bingham (Eng)

Result: Neil Robertson (Aus) 9-3 Tom Ford (Eng)

Result: Ryan Day (Wal) 3-9 Liang Wenbo (Chn)

Result: Mark Williams (Wal) 9-2 Graeme Dott (Sco)

Result: Mark King (Eng) 9-2 Anthony Hamilton (Eng)

Result: Shaun Murphy (Eng) 9-5 Gerard Greene (NI)

Result: Stephen Maguire (Sco) 9-6 Michael Holt (Eng)

He's still got enough to beat Selby if he's concentrating hard enough. Having met the great man himself I'm always wanting him to win anyway. His match was Davis was brutal to watch though.

Hendry is crap nowadays, however Selby ain't playing that great either.

Snooker has died a death lately though, it's a chore to even watch it now. Unsure how they could ever give it a kick up the arse but it badly needs one from somewhere.

Snooker has died a death lately though, it's a chore to even watch it now. Unsure how they could ever give it a kick up the arse but it badly needs one from somewhere.

O'Sullivan came out with a couple of quality shots yesterday, notably an exhibition swerve to dislodge the blue and two reds from a cushion at the far end of the table once he'd secured a frame at the end of the afternoon session. The kind of thing that makes it all worth watching.

Speaking of kicks up the arse, Peter Lines is in for one today. I'd never even heard of him til I read this snooker blog on the UK Championship, but it sounds like he won a dire contest against Fu yesterday, with the lowest maximum break I've heard about between high calibre players. Williams will hoover him up today.

I had no idea Baz Hearn was being lined upfor the Chairmans job, thats absolutely excellent news if true and basically what I was meaning, he will have it sorted in no time.

Yeah Ronnie was getting a semi over that too.

I was hoping for a bit more needle in the Ebdon game because of their history but its been pretty mudane, mainly because Ronnie is comfortable as hell.

I did enjoy Grifthes speculating that Ronnie hadnt shaved to have a wee dig at Ebdon for being bald!:lol:

They are considering making it 15 ranking events a year instead of 6 and playing all around the world.

SEMI-FINALS (best of 17 frames) Fri 1330 & 1900: Ding Junhui (Chn) v Stephen Maguire (Sco)

Sat 1300 & 1900: Ronnie O'Sullivan (Eng) v John Higgins (Sco)

Predictions?

I think that we could have an all Scottish final.

I'm hoping for Ding to go through as he is definately one for the future and any confidence he can pick up will make him a better player. That clearup he did to make it 1-1 had one of the most astonishing positional shots I've ever seen.