Snooker

RedWeb

Does the referee really need to get himself involved here? A young guy in his first final taking just over 2 minutes to play an important shot, it’s hardly something we haven’t seen from numerous players before. I’ve watched snooker for years and I’ve seen players take 2 minutes plus over a shot countless times without the referee urging them to hurry up. 

It's a difficult one. The referee has a right to ask the player to get on with it if he thinks they're taking the piss/too long to get on with proceedings but in that instance you could argue Zhou's brain just wasn't working under the pressure.

No real issue for me, when pressed by the ref Zhou played the right shot.

3 hours ago, GiGi said:

It's a difficult one. The referee has a right to ask the player to get on with it if he thinks they're taking the piss/too long to get on with proceedings but in that instance you could argue Zhou's brain just wasn't working under the pressure.

No real issue for me, when pressed by the ref Zhou played the right shot.

Aye he didn’t seem too bothered by it to be fair and ended up playing a good shot, but getting hurried along after 2 minutes? I’m sure I’ve seen guys like Ebdon and Selby humming and hawing over safety shots for far longer than that and I’ve never seen the referee ask them to play quicker. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

• 3 weeks later...

When I saw that they had changed the format to only 32 qualifiers, I was hoping it meant they had gone back to multiple session matches but sadly still just best of eleven until the final. Can you still watch both games or is there a divide like at The Crucible? Was thinking of going to the UK Championship one season as a change from going Sheffield every year.

Ronnie just beat Stevens 6-2 and, in the post match interview giving it the i couldn't care less spiel again and how he shouldn't be playing at his age etc etc.

An absolute snooker genius but jeez.... definitely entertaining on and off the table. 

I can kind of see Ronald's point about feeling like an imposter. The people he plays against are devoting their entire lives to something, he turns up treating as an inconvenience and he pots everything at will. I don't believe for a minute he's as disconnected from it as he says he is, but the ease he plays with relative to everyone else must be bizarre to experience, even more so if you've often struggled to keep yourself in the right frame of mind.

He's still a w**k.

BBC and Eurosport showing the same fuckin match :rolleyes:

No, I don't want to watch it on my laptop or phone. 

You used to get the choice of table on the red button coverage. Damn the BBC and their shoddy coverage :lol:

1 hour ago, Trackdaybob said:

BBC and Eurosport showing the same fuckin match :rolleyes:

No, I don't want to watch it on my laptop or phone. 

You used to get the choice of table on the red button coverage. Damn the BBC and their shoddy coverage :lol:

Can't you get iPlayer on your TV? They always show both matches.

Kyren Wilson just got maybe the best fluke I've ever seen.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

10 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Can't you get iPlayer on your TV?

No. Its not a smart TV. Still old fashioned sky+ box and flat screen TV. 

That black was something else :o

I watched Ding blowing Clarke away yesterday and it's the first time I've seen him play in a while. He looked fantastic.

He's not doing badly today either, 4-0 up at the interval against that cock O'Sullivan, who he usually goes missing against. Hope he finishes the job with room to spare.

His game yesterday was the best individual performance I've seen in a while.

I don't know anyone who likes O'Sullivan but he always seems to have all the crowd behind him at tournaments. Is it just us Scots that don't like him? I must admit his constant whining of the game is pretty tiresome, nobody is forcing him to play. Certainly got pumped today.

Edited by keptie