Snooker

RedWeb

Gonna stick my neck out and say this is Matthew Stevens' year. Cue him getting papped out in the first round.

Probably will get through the first round at least after dicking Marco Fu 8-1 in the first session. Woof!

I'm glad I skipped the Morton game today to watch him. What a lesson for Bingham. Hendry was in world-beating form today, he hardly missed a ball and 3 or 4 of those shots in the maximum were unbelievable. That cut on the red into the middle from near the baulk line to get (just) on the black was superb. Hendry is my sporting idol and it's brilliant to see him in devastating form again, however long it lasts.

He might have taken heart from the run Ebdon put together to win the China Open beating no less than John Higgins, Ding, Robertson and Maguire along the way at a similar age and point of his career to Hendry. I would love it, absolutely love it if he won an 8th world championship. :P

I didn't make the same wise decision as you unfortunately! Saw the 147 later and was really impressed with it. Doubt he'll go on and win but you never know! It's really open and unpredictable so there's always a chance it could happen.

Mark Allen has been disciplined for his comments about his opponent cheating by not declaring a push. It was pretty blatant and it's poor of his opponent not to call a foul on himself, which is the done thing in Snooker. The ending to his match was pretty hilarious though, he had to pot the black to stay in the match, he potted it and started celebrating only for the cueball to go in the pocket. :lol:

I think it would be really bad actually, at least from a selfish British perspective. China is so huge that if the game becomes really popular there, in 20 years time the top 16 will be all, or almost all, Chinese.

What do you mean 'if'? It already is enormously popular in China. They will be dominating it soon.

Again as I said to Gnash - why?

Millions playing doesnt mean that they will automatically be world class.

Where are the World Class Chinese or Indian footballers?

We're seeing more players from the far east coming through. I can't see them completely dominating, as the guys in the top ranks currently are excellent, and the guys from the Far East would have to be the very best in the world if they want to get in there.

Mark Allen has been disciplined for his comments about his opponent cheating by not declaring a push. It was pretty blatant and it's poor of his opponent not to call a foul on himself, which is the done thing in Snooker. The ending to his match was pretty hilarious though, he had to pot the black to stay in the match, he potted it and started celebrating only for the cueball to go in the pocket. :lol:

I was absolutely pishing myself. Brilliant.

Gnash and Tigerton could pick anyone from China and I'd wager they would be leading Dott 7-0 at the moment.

What do you mean 'if'? It already is enormously popular in China. They will be dominating it soon.

It probably will happen right enough, but it'll happen even quicker with a Chinese world champion to inspire the young players. Not a bad thing for the game as a whole, I suppose, but personally I would find it less interesting if most of the top players were Chinese.

Of course they won't automatically be world class. I said nothing of the sort. It's pretty obvious, even to you I suspect, that the more people play the game in China, the more world class players there will be.

It doesn't work in football for at least 3 reasons - football isn't as popular in China as it is here (and it's really not very popular in India); football is very popular in most of the world, so there is more competition, unlike snooker which is only popular in the UK (and increasingly some other countries including China); football is a team game - it's not just about having the best individuals and it's harder for any one team to dominate.

You're an idiot.

Anyway, yeah, Mark Allen. The sooner football does this the better.

Ding spits the dummy about the crucible crowd. I watched his whole match against Ryan Day and heard nothing untoward from anyone in the audience. More soor grapes and another seed bites the dust. The winner of Hendry/Higgins on Friday will be rubbing their hands at the draw now, as will O'Sullivan.

Hopefully Trump gets pumped next.

Mark Selby was my tip to win it this year. I also fancied Stephen Lee to go far, given his form has been red hot. And I tipped Peter Ebdon to knock out Ronnie in the opening round...Seems I'm as good at picking winners at this as I am at the fitba.

I reckon it's O'Sullivan's to lose here, he's not had the usual hype pre-tournament with few giving him a chance, but with many of the top guys gone already, it's opening up for him.

The most impressive performances for me so far have been Neil Robertson and Matthew Stevens. Closely followed by Hendry in imperious form. A first time winner would be good.

Aye, it was totally out of character, but I can't believe there is anything dodgy - he wouldn't have made it so blatant! Hendry was pretty poor this evening to be fair, and still won 7-1.