Snooker

RedWeb

Well Higgins getting horsed and getting no run. 

Can't say Brecel was anything less than worth his 6-2 lead though. Big opening session needed for Higgins tonight. 

20 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Disappointed for Higgins but nice to see Brecel win it. He deserved it. 

Five finals for Higgins this season and he's not won one :o 

Just the 4 finals so far. But he has only lost to tournament winners including the UK!

7 hours ago, GiGi said:

Just the 4 finals so far. But he has only lost to tournament winners including the UK!

I was sure they were saying four earlier this week. Maybeez no then. I'm no going to look to look, life is far too short for all that :)

1 hour ago, Trackdaybob said:

I was sure they were saying four earlier this week. Maybeez no then. I'm no going to look to look, life is far too short for all that :)

Aye so far it's 3/3 home nations finals and the champion of champions.

On 12/12/2021 at 11:26, IrishBhoy said:

The snooker seems to be on non stop these past few weeks so I’ve been enjoying getting back in to it. It’s funny that snooker seems to be the only sport where the standard of player doesn’t seem to have improved compared to 15-20 years ago. Higgins and O Sullivan are still regarded as the two best players in the game, and guys like Mark Williams, Selby, Murphy etc have been at the top for that time as well. Trump sort of goes against that but even he has been around for years, and there’s never been a superstar coming from the Far East like everyone seemed to expect.

Will never tire of watching Higgins though, when he’s on his A game it’s brilliant to watch. Nothing better than watching a Higgins match with a long drawn out safety battle. 

My theory on this is that there's maybe nowhere really for the standard at the top to go (I think the standard across the whole tour is significantly higher). I feel like snooker has a limit in that if you can consistently knock in a long red and make 70-80 from it then you're going to be able to win matches against anybody regardless of how good they are themselves. I think you see that in the fact that basically any of the top 16-20 (and a few lower down the rankings as well) are capable of having a random match or even week in which they are unplayable.

It then becomes a battle of who can generate chances with their safety most often, who can make the fewest mistakes in the balls when they get their chances and who can keep their level high/deal with it best when their level dips across the longer matches and across the whole season. All of those I think are things that lend themselves to experience - which is why you haven't really seen Higgins/O'Sullivan/Williams drop off all that far even though they are all a good way beyond their peak.

Tight, tense 1st frame between Maguire and Lisowski. Lisowski shading it. 

Maguire furiates me. Never seems to have reached the levels expected from him. Never seems to play well consistently. 

21 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Tight, tense 1st frame between Maguire and Lisowski. Lisowski shading it. 

Maguire furiates me. Never seems to have reached the levels expected from him. Never seems to play well consistently. 

Scrappy in the next one as well. It's weird because these two should be made for each other, just going for stuff and not caring what they leave on. But the scoring has been shit.

21 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Scrappy in the next one as well. It's weird because these two should be made for each other, just going for stuff and not caring what they leave on. But the scoring has been shit.

... He says as Lisowski gets down and knocks in 128 clearance in the next frame. 

1 minute ago, Trackdaybob said:

Fair play. 1-3 down and he's dug in to win it. 

One of those matches where getting angry drove him on to play better. He was staring the balls into the pockets. 

On 13/12/2021 at 14:09, MrWorldwideJr said:

My theory on this is that there's maybe nowhere really for the standard at the top to go (I think the standard across the whole tour is significantly higher). I feel like snooker has a limit in that if you can consistently knock in a long red and make 70-80 from it then you're going to be able to win matches against anybody regardless of how good they are themselves. I think you see that in the fact that basically any of the top 16-20 (and a few lower down the rankings as well) are capable of having a random match or even week in which they are unplayable.

Aye that’s a good point. I was also thinking Snooker is a game that can’t really be advanced by technology in the way other sports have in recent times. I’m sure the balls,  cloth, tables etc have advanced slightly as time has went on, but not too any degree that younger players would have an advantage over older guys. 

I can't recall Robertson making mistakes like that. Certainly not so many unforced errors. 

Fair play to Ronnie, he sharpened up towards the end. Deserved it in the end. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody going to the World Championship this year? A few of my mates and I are going for 3 days in the first week. Went in 2018 and really enjoyed it. Never got to see Higgins when we were there before so hope we get one of his sessions. I would also love to see Ronnie in full flow, but the dream would be to witness an O'Sullivan defeat.

I'm going, potential lockdowns permitting. Bought tickets for 2020 and have carried them over twice. Have the second afternoon of the quarter finals but sat where I should be able to see two matches at once. Have been twice before and loved it each time.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

• 2 weeks later...