Snooker

RedWeb

Been there since yesterday and enjoyed some good stuff. McGill was best of the early games then later had sterling performances on adjacent tables from O'Sullivan and Day. Both won in very short order. 

After that sublime stuff from old Fergal. Higgins up first today now (nothing interesting in the morning session).

5 on the spin for Higgins in the quarters tonight to win from 3-0 down. Excellent.

McGill in the other semi. Outside chance of an all Scottish final at the Scottish open (in Llandudno).

That's me done at the event though, heading home in the morning.

27 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Anyone able to explain why the Scottish Open is being played in Wales?

"Contractual issue" with the Commonwealth (Emirates) Arena in Glasgow. Supposedly they wouldn't host an event with a gambling company as sponsor. Llandudno was the only venue available at such short notice.

Edited by Cyclizine

1 hour ago, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

Hope Brecel wins. Don't like same faces winning everything.

Higgins has been in a truckload of finals this season already and has no trophies. He deserves this.

I was also all for Luca until he scuppered the all Scottish final at the Scottish open (in Wales) so f**k him now

I don't really care about whether anyone is Scottish in snooker. If I had grown up in an era when no Scottish player had ever won anything, maybe I would. But I started caring when Hendry was winning everything, then Higgins came along. I like to see the diddies win, whether they're from Milngavie or Malawi.

24 minutes ago, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

I don't really care about whether anyone is Scottish in snooker. If I had grown up in an era when no Scottish player had ever won anything, maybe I would. But I started caring when Hendry was winning everything, then Higgins came along. I like to see the diddies win, whether they're from Milngavie or Malawi.

There’s a teenage Ukrainian player on the pro circuit now so you might not have to wait too long for a Malawi lad rocking up to Milton Keynes. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a pool table in Ukraine never mind a snooker table. 

The snooker seems to be on non stop these past few weeks so I’ve been enjoying getting back in to it. It’s funny that snooker seems to be the only sport where the standard of player doesn’t seem to have improved compared to 15-20 years ago. Higgins and O Sullivan are still regarded as the two best players in the game, and guys like Mark Williams, Selby, Murphy etc have been at the top for that time as well. Trump sort of goes against that but even he has been around for years, and there’s never been a superstar coming from the Far East like everyone seemed to expect.

Will never tire of watching Higgins though, when he’s on his A game it’s brilliant to watch. Nothing better than watching a Higgins match with a long drawn out safety battle.