Snooker

RedWeb

He doesn't have the dominance of Hendry at his peak, or the sheer natural ability of O'Sullivan, but he's the best match player since Davis himself IMO.

I would say this is pretty accurate. Take Higgins matchplay, Hendrys dominance and Ronnies ability and there you have it. Easy as that.

I was gutted for the Welsh Bottling Potting Machine, really wanted him to seal it.

• 4 weeks later...

Masters on Sunday and some good looking stuff in there.

Mark King vs. Mark Selby

Ali Carter vs. Peter Ebdon

Mark Williams vs. Ding Junhui

John Higgins vs. Graeme Dott

Ronnie O'Sullivan vs. Mark Allen

Stephen Maguire vs. Marco Fu

Neil Robertson vs. Stephen Hendry

Shaun Murphy vs. Julian Cope

The ones that bounced out to me were Williams vs. Junhui and Maguire vs. Fu.

Fu has been a really dangerous player in the last couple of years, while Williams is finding some of that old form. Should be two tough games.

Been a fantastic tournament so far with 7 of the 8 facilities exitingat the first round ensuring a new name on the trophy. I would like to see Robbo continue his good form and win the tournament.

Ronnie once again missed a lot of easy balls and is on the decline.

Hendos last Master IMO, such shame.

Robertson v Allen today at 1.30 looks a belter.

Hate snooker but I thought it worth starting a thread to commemorate the arse that is Ronnie O'Sullivan conceding a frame when he was 23-0 down. The bloke is a disgrace to the sport and the sooner he packs it in the better.

O'sullivan is a flawed genius, but a genius none the less. Yes this was strange, but not totally unexpected. He falls into the same bracket as the likes of Gascoigne, Alex Higgins, George Best, Maradona. All with god given talents, which sort of holds them back.

Ronnie should be winning more tournaments than he does. But what i Like about him is he keeps you interested, on the edge of your seat. I say lets just enjoy the talent while hes still in the game, and forget all the politics.

Predicting a big big year for Ding, he's been on the cusp of true consistent greatness for a while now, seems to have really matured. Think this is going to be his year with many more to follow. Will definitely be putting a cheeky tenner on him for the World Championship.

• 2 weeks later...

Have any of you been watching any of the "Snooker Shoot-Out" on Sky? It's all best of one frame, with a 10 minute time limit on the frames and a shot clock.

I've caught a few matches of it and it's quite entertaining, even if it can be a bit of a lottery at times. The players seem to be enjoying it too.

I tried watching it about an hour ago. Had a good laugh at the big voiceover thing, and then just got annoyed.

Barry Hearn may well be doing not bad appealing to the lowest of the low, as that is essentially what you need to become big ( see darts ), but this doesn't appeal to me. As long as the other tourneys stay as they are, I'm not caring.

Have any of you been watching any of the "Snooker Shoot-Out" on Sky? It's all best of one frame, with a 10 minute time limit on the frames and a shot clock.

I've caught a few matches of it and it's quite entertaining, even if it can be a bit of a lottery at times. The players seem to be enjoying it too.

Seen a bit of it tonight. The endings to the Drago v McLeod and Robertson v MaManus games were sensational. The flukey black from McLeod was ridic. Robertsons 30 odd points in under a minute was mental as well!

• 9 months later...

Just finished watching the semis and the final of the "Power Snooker" on ITV4 there, and I have to say it was fairly entertaining. Martin Gould, who is fast becoming my favourite player, beat Ronnie O'Sullivan in the final.

For those of you who haven't seen it, it's basically a timed match which goes on for 30 minutes exactly. When they clear the table it's re-racked and they start again. The player who scores the most points overall wins. There was plenty of other rule changes too, including a "power red" which when potted triggered a 2 minute "powerplay" during which you picked up double points.

As long as these things are done in addition to the normal snooker season, rather than replacing any of the major tournaments, I'm in favour of trying them out.

Edited by craigkillie

As long as these things are done in addition to the normal snooker season, rather than replacing any of the major tournaments, I'm in favour of trying them out.

Ill go along with that. As long as it doesnt change the snooker calendar its fine.

You might get players moaning about the additional games though.

Edited by MattBairn

Ill go along with that. As long as it doesnt change the snooker calendar its fine.

I think these things are a lot more lucrative than most of the traditional tournaments, so I'm sure most will be fairly happy.

Player have been crying out for a more packed calender for years. They want more tournaments and more games. Their wish is steadily being realised. Power snooker was a good change of pace but the whole thing with the crowd was a bit 'dartsy' and contrived IMO. It's like the whole makeover of darts in the last 10 years and building up of pub athletes (if you like) into superstars planted directly onto snooker players was awkward to watch.

I don't think it's really in the nature of most players to thrive in that kind of atmosphere when they're used to the silence and respect afforded them by traditional crowds. But that's not to say it's not a welcome addition to the sport, it was in need of some regeneration.

Player have been crying out for a more packed calender for years. They want more tournaments and more games. Their wish is steadily being realised. Power snooker was a good change of pace but the whole thing with the crowd was a bit 'dartsy' and contrived IMO. It's like the whole makeover of darts in the last 10 years and building up of pub athletes (if you like) into superstars planted directly onto snooker players was awkward to watch.

I don't think it's really in the nature of most players to thrive in that kind of atmosphere when they're used to the silence and respect afforded them by traditional crowds. But that's not to say it's not a welcome addition to the sport, it was in need of some regeneration.

I mustve been getting mixed up. I thought they were wanting a reduced calendar. Shows how much attention I pay to their complaints :P

I have no problems with snooker the way it is, but I do appreciate it needs something to try and push more money into the game.

As I said, as long as it doesnt change the current tournaments then Im all for it :)

Edited by MattBairn