Snooker

RedWeb

Snooker World Championship qualifiers start today, 1330 live on Eurosport. Think the first game on is former semi-finalist Andy Hicks against million or so time women's champion Reanne Evans. Not seen confirmation of who this evening's TV pick is, but Jimmy White is playing so expect it will be him.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

33 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Anyone watching Cahill v Mertens? The guy who beat O'Sullivanlast year is getting his tatties handed to him by a 15 year old boy.

Mertens wins 6-2 with only 81% pot success. Great win for a child nonetheless!

• 2 weeks later...

This whole Anthony Hamilton thing is ridiculous. I’d be fucking fuming if I was Scott Donaldson. Hamilton has known for weeks that there will be a crowd but then waits til the day before before making a decision, denying players who were willing to play.

If what John Parrot said that the rumours amongst the players is that he done it purely for the ranking points and £20k prize money whilst knowing full well he would withdraw is true, then that’s a fucking disgrace. 

I hope Trump gets put on his arse here. He’s such a boring, mundane c**t.  

Barry Hearn going mental now. Excellent.

Edited by Karpaty Lviv

Completely disagree. 

Firstly, you don't know if he intended to enter and then changed his mind. Only Hamilton does.

Secondly, even if he didn't intend to play in front of crowds, England has seen local lockdowns and changing circumstances on a near-daily basis. Noone knew for certain that this would be going ahead in front of crowds until after the qualifiers had started.

Thirdly, it's what he does for a living. Why should he sacrifice the qualifying money when he feels perfectly safe at the qualifiers but not the finals? That prize money could make the difference between whether he is able to stay on the tour or has to give up the game.

Finally, an employer like Hearn should not be on television publicly lambasting an employee for not attending work when he has a valid health reason not to do so, during a global pandemic. If Tim Martin or Mike Ashley did that, we would, quite rightly, be calling them a c**t. That's exactly what Hearn is in this instance. To do so in literally the same interview in which he spoke about "the mental health of the nation" is an appalling lack of self-awareness.

The decision to pilot crowds was announced four days before qualifying started. He knew full well that should be have qualified, he would have to play in front of them. If he felt unsafe, he should have withdrawn. Absolutely no one would have had any issues with that. 

Literally nobody on here would have turned down £23,000 in the circumstances. The qualifiers were safe, the finals aren't. Every professional has had the opportunity to qualify but failed to do so.

What if he falls off the tour next year by £5,000 worth of ranking points? He would effectively lose his entire career by choosing not to play for a few days in an environment in which he felt completely safe. 

In any case, there is no reason why they couldn't have chosen a "lucky loser" to replace him in the draw. 

34 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

This whole Anthony Hamilton thing is ridiculous. I’d be fucking fuming if I was Scott Donaldson. Hamilton has known for weeks that there will be a crowd but then waits til the day before before making a decision, denying players who were willing to play.

If what John Parrot said that the rumours amongst the players is that he done it purely for the ranking points and £20k prize money whilst knowing full well he would withdraw is true, then that’s a fucking disgrace. 

I hope Trump gets put on his arse here. He’s such a boring, mundane c**t.  

Barry Hearn going mental now. Excellent.

Total shite start to finish.

The rules on crowds wearing masks were only clarified a few days ago and he obviously disagrees. He has a right to go through qualifying if he wants, he's not a fucking millionaire who can turn down the money and ranking points that he is very well entitled to and won by beating the players in front of him.

7 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Checking the rankings, the money earned in qualifying makes up 1/6th of his annual income. Anyone on here happy to give up two months wages?

Wages earned as well. He had to win matches to get that prize money. The spot in the tournament is his to withdraw if he wants.

Ooft apparently spectators could now be banned again from tomorrow. What an utter riot. Hearn should never have put the players in this position just to line his own pockets, then criticise the players for looking after themselves.

Ooft apparently spectators could now be banned again from tomorrow. What an utter riot. Hearn should never have put the players in this position just to line his own pockets, then criticise the players for looking after themselves.

Aye Boris saying that the test events to be cancelled which includes the snooker. Can Hamilton now play ?

Just now, lichtie23 said:

Aye Boris saying that the test events to be cancelled which includes the snooker. Can Hamilton now play ?

Don't think so, he's already withdrawn and the walkover is confirmed for Wilson.

Checking the rankings, the money earned in qualifying makes up 1/6th of his annual income. Anyone on here happy to give up two months wages?
But it's not a normal job. He's a snooker player. It's a dream job.

It's absolute journeyman behaviour and i don't really have any sympathy with him. I think o'sullivan is being a dick too - but then i have such an unchecked hatred for him it's impossible for me to be rational.

What a miss that blue could turn out to be btw. He'll need to beg mentally strong to not let that affect his final session.