Snooker

RedWeb

That was a brilliant final. Williams deserved it over both days but Higgins has balls of steel the way he came back into it tonight. I see Williams has turned up naked to the press conference like he said he would if he won it[emoji23]

Great final

Higgins made much more of a game of it than I thought we would get. Williams led the whole match though.

I think it was probably the best World final we have had. The opening red and clearance from Higgins to pull back to 17-16 and then the break from Williams in the final frame. 85 had drama, this had high pressure quality and drama.

2002 was probably the closest with Hendry and Ebdon exchanging frames from 14-14

Anyway, delighted to watch Higgins scrape his way back into it then spend the last half hour sat chewing wasps. When I finished school and was able to watch this stuff for hours a day Williams was the first player to make me appreciate what safety play was, so it's nice to see him come back around this late in his career and play that well.

I'm still coming down from that. I think it's the best final I've seen in years. I was favouring Higgins slightly but I'm delighted for Williams. He wore his heart on his sleeve out there. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mark Selby out of the UK Championship before the BBC even start televising the second round, knocked out 6-4 by 22 year old relative rookie James Cahill. Strong attacking performance from Cahill in fairness, rolling a ballsy long pink down the cushion into the green pocket to win it. 

Shaun Murphy also papped out by some sub-100 ranked Chinese non-entity, and John Higgins scraped past Poomjaeng on a decider after a shaky performance. 

Already has the feel of a tournament that Ronnie O'sullivan will coast unfortunately. 

Edited by AMMjag

On 30/11/2018 at 01:22, AMMjag said:

Already has the feel of a tournament that Ronnie O'sullivan will coast unfortunately. 

Ken Doherty has other ideas at the moment. 

O'Sullivan spouting the greatest guff yet; plans for a new breakaway tour featuring players like O'Sullivan, Hendry (coming out of retirement), Higgins, who admits he currently couldn't give a shit about snooker and playing like it, and the two recently banned Chinese guys.

You'd think he's either seriously deluded or saying utter pish for his own amusement when the experts spend time discussing it in great details, however, you then turn on the snooker coverage only to find Rory McLeod and Dominic Dale playing and you realised you'd immediately begin calling up the ghost of Alex Higgins in a bid to get away.

It must be soul destroying for Mark Allen to get the draw only to discover he's got to suffer a night playing McLeod, a player who makes you wish Peter Ebdon was the opponent.