Snooker

RedWeb

There was one point in the final when Shaun Murphy was snookered on a red, missed it and hit the blue. Fu then got up, had a look and let Murphy play again, but the blue ball wasn't re-spotted to were it had been.

I hadn't seen this before. I assumed you had to play the exact same shot.

There was one point in the final when Shaun Murphy was snookered on a red, missed it and hit the blue. Fu then got up, had a look and let Murphy play again, but the blue ball wasn't re-spotted to were it had been.

I hadn't seen this before. I assumed you had to play the exact same shot.

You do.

If that happened (I wasn't watching) then it was an error.

• 2 weeks later...

For a ludicrous bump...

It peaked at around the early 00s when you had Williams, Hendry, O'Sullivan, Doherty, Higgins and Stevens all playing exceptionally well. Interest and prize money peaked then too.

The game is in decline now, the 'rising stars' haven't delivered and the same cloggers are present. Look at top 32, many of these guys aren't any better than the men who have been mocked earlier in the thread (Meo, Johnson, etc) Few are capable of winning the Worlds now.

A good workmanlike player can hang in there for a good while now - not the sign of a flourishing game.

Edited by King Kong Bundy

• 2 weeks later...

O'Sullivan attention seeking again this week. Says he snapped his cue before his 1st Round Masters win over Joe Perry because he didn't want to play and he thought breaking the cue would keep him away from the tournament. :huh:

He makes a good point about the game needing a shot in the arm, however. It's a tough one though, you can't go the same way as darts has, as snooker relies on the audience being quiet, and introducing a darts style crowd to the game isnae going to work.

How do you market snooker for the 21st century? The players are there, the venues are there, the tournaments are there, so what can you do with it to make it a marketable sport? RedWeb mentions the re-introduction of 'characters' to the game. I think a lot of the iconic snooker players of the 80's only have that status because everything was new then, television audiences had never saw that before, and these people became legendary. It's more difficult to have characters in snooker now. In Darts, it's easy to be wild as that fits in with the buzz from the crowd, but you won't get that in snooker.

Shame, because it's a great sport, and despite protestations on this thread, the current crop of players are among the best there's ever been, so the talent is there.

What can you do though?

For a ludicrous bump...

It peaked at around the early 00s when you had Williams, Hendry, O'Sullivan, Doherty, Higgins and Stevens all playing exceptionally well. Interest and prize money peaked then too.

The game is in decline now, the 'rising stars' haven't delivered and the same cloggers are present. Look at top 32, many of these guys aren't any better than the men who have been mocked earlier in the thread (Meo, Johnson, etc) Few are capable of winning the Worlds now.

A good workmanlike player can hang in there for a good while now - not the sign of a flourishing game.

I'd generally agree other than that I think in terms of public interest it peaked much earlier than that. Mid-80's more likely and certainly the early 90's at latest.

The standard of play on the other hand we'll go round in circles about but personally I think it peaked 4 or 5 years earlier than you have it.

Hendry is well past it.

Is it time Hendo packed the cue away and found a new day job ? Yes, he's probably still playing at a level which would see him hang around the top16 for a few more years but is that enough for a 7 times world champion ? I know Davis has hung around but I for one would like to see Stephen call it a day. However, I don't think he will but how long can he keep losing to blokes not fit to lace his boots. Worse still how long can he keep on missing the kind of pot he used to get with his eyes shut.

Guest The Phoenix
7-7 in the final of the Masters between O'Sullivan and Selby, a great match once again ruined by John Virgo's fawning praise of O'Sullivan. I'm quite sure he has Ronnie posters all over his bedroom.

This one has pride of place...

post-7951-1232319365.jpg