Snooker

RedWeb

Hate snooker but I thought it worth starting a thread to commemorate the arse that is Ronnie O'Sullivan conceding a frame when he was 23-0 down. The bloke is a disgrace to the sport and the sooner he packs it in the better.

I quite like watching O'Sullivan, there's normally plenty of entertainment whether on or off the table. The game needs characters, and he's certainly one of them. And he's an absolutely brilliant snooker player.

He's a perfectionist...if he thinks its going against him, he'd rather stop and re-focus. It's maybe not in the etiquette of the sport, but he's in it for himself, no-one else.

What IS a disgrace is the way Virgo and Thorne sook up his arse at every available opportunity. He was making a standard comeback break in his match tonight, missed a pot, and Thorne moaned claiming that would have been one 'of the greatest clearances ever' :lol:

He's a perfectionist...if he thinks its going against him, he'd rather stop and re-focus.

ie he can't take a beating. Hendry has had some fearful thrashings over the last couple of years but he sits there and takes it. You have to win and lose with dignity. I agree sport needs characters but does it need arseholes :huh:

ie he can't take a beating.

Na, I don't think it's that, he's taken plenty beatings in the past. In his own mind, if he's not performing to the standard he thinks he should, then sometimes he'd rather walk away and start again.

I don't particularly agree with it as it can be disrespectful to the opponent, but I can understand his reasons for doing so.

Why does nobody else do it ? Are you saying Hendry or Davis are/were not perfectionists ?

I'd argue Davis and Hendry were even more perfectionists than O'Sullivan.

I once drunkenly asked John Higgins if he thought O'Sullivan was a dick. He said he was alright.

I'd argue Davis and Hendry were even more perfectionists than O'Sullivan.

It was only last week Hendry said O'Sullivan would never reach the number of titles him or Davis have.

O'Sullivan proves exactly why the week after. I think the main issue is that O'Sullivan has mental health issues. The whole bizarre jogging thing is another alarming example of this.

It was only last week Hendry said O'Sullivan would never reach the number of titles him or Davis have.

O'Sullivan proves exactly why the week after. I think the main issue is that O'Sullivan has mental health issues. The whole bizarre jogging thing is another alarming example of this.

I only read O'Sullivan claiming this, he fully admits that he will never match Hendry simply because he is too much of an underachiever and has absolutely no love for the sport.

He is a better player though for my money, but he's his own worst enemy and his talent has never been fulfilled.

Edited by dubs

ie he can't take a beating. Hendry has had some fearful thrashings over the last couple of years but he sits there and takes it. You have to win and lose with dignity. I agree sport needs characters but does it need arseholes :huh:

To be fair it's not like he storms out the room refusing to congratulate his opponent*. As Stewarty says he appears to just view it as a wate of time to hang around. The idea of a gracious loser is often overstated to be honest, I'm far more pissed off by bad winners.

*I did not watch last night's match so if he went off in a huff feel free to point out I'm a tosser.

Guest The Phoenix
I agree sport needs characters but does it need arseholes :huh:

Somewhere to pot the brown? :unsure:

Anyways I agree with your overall point and the governing body has rules to address this particular aspect of his behaviour.

After he had conceded the frame to go 5-7 down, he was warned by the match referee that if he repeated this type of concession (i.e. when he could still win the frame), he would be penalised an additional frame - i.e. he would have gone 5-8 + 1 frame penalty = 5-9 and loss of match.

Speaking from personal experience, O'Sullivan is typical of many geniuses in that he has flawed personality traits. :rolleyes:;)

After he had conceded the frame to go 5-7 down, he was warned by the match referee that if he repeated this type of concession (i.e. when he could still win the frame), he would be penalised an additional frame

What's the rule that allowed the ref to warn about this?

I thought you could concede a frame at any time you liked?

Guest The Phoenix
What's the rule that allowed the ref to warn about this?

I thought you could concede a frame at any time you liked?

It is a rule of the sports governing body not a rule of snooker.

It's to ensure that members of the association provide "value for money" - imagine the scenario of a World Championship Final where there is a sell out crowd and O'Sullivan proceeds to concede frames because he "can't be bothered".

It is a rule of the sports governing body not a rule of snooker.

It's to ensure that members of the association provide "value for money" - imagine the scenario of a World Championship Final where there is a sell out crowd and O'Sullivan proceeds to concede frames because he "can't be bothered".

Yeah, seems sensible. I just wondered what the criteria was.

I suppose it's similar to the tennis "not trying" rule.

Guest The Phoenix
Yeah, seems sensible. I just wondered what the criteria was.

I suppose it's similar to the tennis "not trying" rule.

Sorry - I realise I didn't actually answer your original question properly - the criteria for the referee to "award" a one frame penalty are that, having been warned about conceding a frame which in the referee's opinion could still have been won, if the offending player repeats this act, he can have the penalty applied.

The referee's "opinion" is not purely judged on arithmetic (i.e. less points on the table than the player is behind) - he/she can still technically award the penalty under what you so appropriately call "not trying" if snooker(s) are required.

I thought this thread was going to be about the match-fixing allegations levelled at Maguire and Burnett in their match on Monday.

A large number of bets were placed on Maguire winning 9-3, and, of course, that was how the match finished, with Burnett missing a fairly simple black in the last frame to hand Maguire the victory.

Burnett claimed that he found out about the betting during the interval, and that he missed the black because of the massive pressure on him to make the pot to avoid accusations of cheating :rolleyes:

Burnett claimed that he found out about the betting during the interval, and that he missed the black because of the massive pressure on him to make the pot to avoid accusations of cheating :rolleyes:

His attempt at that black was absolutely woeful. Wasn't even close to the jaw of the pocket.

Must have been the pressure

I thought this thread was going to be about the match-fixing allegations levelled at Maguire and Burnett in their match on Monday.

A large number of bets were placed on Maguire winning 9-3, and, of course, that was how the match finished, with Burnett missing a fairly simple black in the last frame to hand Maguire the victory.

I would like to second your :rolleyes: .

How funny that the pressure hit just at the right wrong moment. Life is funny that way.

His attempt at that black was absolutely woeful. Wasn't even close to the jaw of the pocket.

Must have been the pressure

That was a bit strange to me.

Surely if he was trying to fix the match, he would have tried to make it seem as though he was trying to pot the ball, and would have only missed it by a narrow margin. Missing it by so much would surely arouse suspicion.

Although, perhaps it's because he's a shite snooker player and was worried that if he tried to miss it by a wee bit, then it might actually have went in.