Snooker

RedWeb

12 hours ago, Christophe said:

Just googling some of these c***s. That guy Nigel Bond played today hasn't even ever been on the WST....what's the fucking point of this! 

To be fair, if you're going to try to make this a legitimate World Seniors title, which appears to the aim, then you have to have some sort of route for anyone over 40 to qualify regardless of whether they were a top pro in their day or not. Aaron Canavan won the title a couple of years ago and as far as I'm aware he was never a pro.

That said, it does leave the whole tournament feeling a bit anti-climactic. Watching guys you've literally never heard of obviously isnt particularly interesting when the standard is low. And even once you get to the final stages its far more likely that this week ends with someone like Michael Holt or Peter Lines winning it, than say Hendry or White, which again doesnt hold a lot interest.

He has been very good, banged in three centuries I think. Shame for him that the season is finishing because if he could take that sort of form onto the main tour he could make the latter stages of the odd tournament again. This is the best I've seen him play for over a decade.

Cazoo to sponsor the World Championship going forward. Makes them them the sponsor of pretty much every major UK event other than the Home Nations series.

Good news short term I suppose, it's obviously better than no sponsor at all, but I'm starting to feel a bit concerned at how reliant on a single company the health of the circuit is. If Cazoo were to decide to stop for some reason then pretty much every major event on the calendar would suddenly be sponsorless.

Different circumstances and different people in charge now but that didn't end well when tobacco sponsorship was banned and took the sport a long time to recover from.

2 hours ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

Cazoo to sponsor the World Championship going forward. Makes them them the sponsor of pretty much every major UK event other than the Home Nations series.

Good news short term I suppose, it's obviously better than no sponsor at all, but I'm starting to feel a bit concerned at how reliant on a single company the health of the circuit is. If Cazoo were to decide to stop for some reason then pretty much every major event on the calendar would suddenly be sponsorless.

Different circumstances and different people in charge now but that didn't end well when tobacco sponsorship was banned and took the sport a long time to recover from.

Just hope they don't reposition the cameras to make the Cazoo advertising board the top quarter of the screen. I have trouble watching when the table is squashed on screen like that. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/04/2022 at 19:29, GiGi said:

Liang Wenbo suspended after WST find out about him battering a woman only by the outcome of a court case no one knew about.

Nasty wee fucker. Hope his ban from snooker is a long one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/61694957

Banned until August. 4 months total, most of which is the off-season. So he'll miss the diddy Championship League and be back in action. Not even a slap on the wrist. Total joke.

The suspension should have been for at least 4 tournaments starting from today and not 4 months backdated. WST are shitebags.

Edited by GiGi

• 1 month later...

Just watched Hendry's qualifying match against Mark Joyce there. This won't be a surprise to anyone who watched him over the last couple of years but he just looks completely done. There's no scoring power there unfortunately and it just leaves his opponents under no pressure. Joyce is obviously far from a world beater but he's always been a decent scorer and if you give him chances and put no pressure on him missing then he's going to win frames in one visit.

Perhaps he's just enjoying playing but I struggle to see what Hendry is getting out of this. When he first came back I thought he would be able to get to a decent-ish level, win his first match fairly regularly and maybe have the occasional decent run where he shocks a top 32 player but he looks an absolute mile from anything like that at the moment. Which is sad, I'd love to see him get a result or two but it feels like it would be happening by now if it was going to.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...