Snooker

RedWeb

Has anyone on here ever been down to the Crucible? Me and my dad try and get a game of snooker once a week, and even though we are both pretty terrible at the game most of the time, we always enjoy it. There’s usually 2 or 3 shots each week, or a break of 18, that keeps us going back.

We were watching the snooker earlier on and I asked him if he fancied going down to the Crucible next year for a couple of days. I’ve never watched snooker live but my Dad told me he was at the Motherwell Civic Centre many years ago, watching Alan McManus v Ken Doherty. He told me he enjoyed being able to watch these guys play snooker up close, and he appreciated the skill on show etc as you would expect. His only complaint was how uncomfortable the seats were, and the amount of time you were required to stay sitting down for in order to see a full session. The seats in The Crucible do look pretty comfy, and I know you get a break every 4 frames for a stretch of the legs, but does anyone have any first hand experience of what it’s like to attend? Is it worth spending a couple of days or does the novelty wear off quite quickly and you end up itching to stand up and go for a pint? 

6 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Has anyone on here ever been down to the Crucible? Me and my dad try and get a game of snooker once a week, and even though we are both pretty terrible at the game most of the time, we always enjoy it. There’s usually 2 or 3 shots each week, or a break of 18, that keeps us going back.

We were watching the snooker earlier on and I asked him if he fancied going down to the Crucible next year for a couple of days. I’ve never watched snooker live but my Dad told me he was at the Motherwell Civic Centre many years ago, watching Alan McManus v Ken Doherty. He told me he enjoyed being able to watch these guys play snooker up close, and he appreciated the skill on show etc as you would expect. His only complaint was how uncomfortable the seats were, and the amount of time you were required to stay sitting down for in order to see a full session. The seats in The Crucible do look pretty comfy, and I know you get a break every 4 frames for a stretch of the legs, but does anyone have any first hand experience of what it’s like to attend? Is it worth spending a couple of days or does the novelty wear off quite quickly and you end up itching to stand up and go for a pint? 

They've got comfy seats in the Crucible and I'm sure there are plenty times you can sneak out for a pint, maybe even taking one back in with you. Only went to see a play but you'll be pretty close to the action, the seating's in the round and quite steep.

23 hours ago, GiGi said:

The camera is doing my nut in. As soon as the ball hits the pocket they're showing the player's reaction, while the white is still moving and is really important to see where it lands. They need to stop that.

It's like modern football coverage on TV. Five replays and by the time they cut back someone's on the attack and you've missed two minutes of actual play.

8 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Honestly just do it, if it all gets too much you can head down to the concourse for a drink or whatever for a frame and come back the next. Being permanent the seats are certainly better than the temporary stuff you normally get at a tournament.

1 minute ago, southernrover said:

Honestly just do it, if it all gets too much you can head down to the concourse for a drink or whatever for a frame and come back the next. Being permanent the seats are certainly better than the temporary stuff you normally get at a tournament.

Yeah I think I will. Do the tickets for next year go on sale at the end of the championship? And do you think it’s better to go when it’s the 2 table set up or the single table? 

The seats do look fine, they seem like old fashioned cinema seats with plenty padding. My Dad is a massive Ronnie fan, closely followed by Higgins so I think I will try and get tickets for both sessions two days in a row, and hope either O’ Sullivan or Higgins are in action during one of them. I’ve seen Tiger Woods at the Open, Federer and Nadal at the o2, Messi at the Nou Camp; but I think seeing either O Sullivan or Higgins at The Crucible would be up along side them. 

9 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Read back just one page! You will see a few of us have been down just this week!

Crucible is comfy, and you can take a bevvy in. Depends on your interest level but definitely worth a 2-3 day visit to take in a good few sessions, no danger of getting bored I wouldn't imagine. Bars all around the Crucible also so not far to go if you fancy a change of scene for a bit. Fan Zone, Winter Gardens directly opposite also where the BBC film their studio bits. Lots of value in player spotting around the city centre too, well worth a visit 

56 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Yeah I think I will. Do the tickets for next year go on sale at the end of the championship? And do you think it’s better to go when it’s the 2 table set up or the single table? 

The seats do look fine, they seem like old fashioned cinema seats with plenty padding. My Dad is a massive Ronnie fan, closely followed by Higgins so I think I will try and get tickets for both sessions two days in a row, and hope either O’ Sullivan or Higgins are in action during one of them. I’ve seen Tiger Woods at the Open, Federer and Nadal at the o2, Messi at the Nou Camp; but I think seeing either O Sullivan or Higgins at The Crucible would be up along side them. 

I've only ever been to the two table set up, but would certainly recommend it as it is the epitome of 'that' Crucible atmosphere. The only thing with booking tickets I'd mind is making sure you get good sessions (see anyone who went to the 1430 one today, only one match on, which was Ronnie one frame from victory!) - maybe best keep an eye on this year for booking next as an example. Tickets on presale at the moment, general sale is day of or after this year's I think. Not too bad if you need to leave it a while mind as the two table at least normally has good avilability for a while.

7 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Read back just one page! You will see a few of us have been down just this week!

Crucible is comfy, and you can take a bevvy in. Depends on your interest level but definitely worth a 2-3 day visit to take in a good few sessions, no danger of getting bored I wouldn't imagine. Bars all around the Crucible also so not far to go if you fancy a change of scene for a bit. Fan Zone, Winter Gardens directly opposite also where the BBC film their studio bits. Lots of value in player spotting around the city centre too, well worth a visit 

Aye I think I will go for it, I will show my dad these posts to put his mind at ease because I think the seats was his biggest issue :lol: I imagine it’s similar to attending the golf where you get to see people play a sport a few feet away from you, at a much higher level than you could ever imagine.