Snooker

RedWeb

26 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Didn't catch the 1st one, but the other three players' entrance music for the evening sesh were fucking terrible. And to add insult to his shite tune, Donaldson hasn't even got a nickname. 

Poor showing. 

In the first session Virgo admitted he didn't know anything about Donaldson, a player who's been in the top 30-40 for the last few years. Absolute dinosaurs.

Thankfully I think it was Murphy who was with him who confirmed that Donaldson is in fact a capable player.

So following on from yesterday, I've decided that I'll watch the match with the players with the best entrance music. 

Stuart Bingham vs Lyu Haotian

• "Ballrun's" entrance music - what a load of shite. Some hip-hop pish. Does nobody write a nice melody these days?
  • I didn't recognise Lyu's pop song, but it was a pleasant enough ditty. 

Thepchaiya Un-Noon vs John Higgins

• Not sure of the significance of F1's Two Tribes by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, but it's a tune I've heard of, which counts in its favour.
  • That's Life by Frank Sinatra for Higgins... includes the line "You're riding high in April, shot down in May"... genius. 

Higgins vs Un-Noon it is. 

Was in Sheffield this weekend for a few sessions. Been to snooker all over the place in all sorts of formats and venues but there really is nothing like the Worlds at the Crucible. Ally Pally might have a better atmosphere, modern theatres might handle the numbers better, pretty much any generic conference centre could offer better corporate / VIP stuff, but there is honestly something in the air at the Crucible and in that small corner of Sheffield. It would be an absolute shame if they packed all that in so Neil Robertson can walk around the table better and they can flog more alcohol more quickly to punters. 

1 hour ago, southernrover said:

Was in Sheffield this weekend for a few sessions. Been to snooker all over the place in all sorts of formats and venues but there really is nothing like the Worlds at the Crucible. Ally Pally might have a better atmosphere, modern theatres might handle the numbers better, pretty much any generic conference centre could offer better corporate / VIP stuff, but there is honestly something in the air at the Crucible and in that small corner of Sheffield. It would be an absolute shame if they packed all that in so Neil Robertson can walk around the table better and they can flog more alcohol more quickly to punters. 

Yeah McGill had the right of it (even though you'd need to look hard to find his interviews).

He said if someone wants to make a bigger and better tournament than the worlds with more fans, more prize money etc then great, go do it, but leave this tournament and the Crucible as it is.

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

So following on from yesterday, I've decided that I'll watch the match with the players with the best entrance music. 

Stuart Bingham vs Lyu Haotian

• "Ballrun's" entrance music - what a load of shite. Some hip-hop pish. Does nobody write a nice melody these days?
  • I didn't recognise Lyu's pop song, but it was a pleasant enough ditty. 

Thepchaiya Un-Noon vs John Higgins

• Not sure of the significance of F1's Two Tribes by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, but it's a tune I've heard of, which counts in its favour.
  • That's Life by Frank Sinatra for Higgins... includes the line "You're riding high in April, shot down in May"... genius. 

Higgins vs Un-Noon it is. 

I honestly think the best part about being a snooker player would be picking your music. I'm either coming out to death metal or dancing down the stairs to the Big Break theme tune. 

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

8 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Yeah McGill had the right of it (even though you'd need to look hard to find his interviews).

He said if someone wants to make a bigger and better tournament than the worlds with more fans, more prize money etc then great, go do it, but leave this tournament and the Crucible as it is.

I've always thought the most telling thing about it all is that not even Barry Hearn would touch it, I think he's actually on record saying he didn't want to be the man who did. 

McGill is spot on with what he says. The past few seasons have proven there's space for largely whatever you want in the snooker calendar - formats like the Shootout; new enterprises like the Home Nations and Turkish Open; and crowd stuff like between-frame DJs and dancecams... The Worlds is what it is because it has endured whilst everything else has changed. The long formats, the lack of space, the formality, the density and proximity of the crowd. I don't doubt that if people like Judd had his way, everything would be best of fives in a t-shirt and it'd be held in a nightclub...

Was at the Crucible this afternoon. Been to other events but there's something about the Crucible that's just special. I was in awe walking into the theatre and taking my seat. Just a truly special sporting  arena. First thing I seen off the train in Sheffield was Ronnie O being chased down the road, waving away autograph hunters..

PXL_20220419_122126072.thumb.jpg.5e6ba709f6777d1f8c4e55755bee2d81.jpg

Our seats were overlooking the opening session of Higgins Vs Thepchaiya which turned out to be the session of the tournament so far. Couple of fantastic pots, and some inexplicable misses. Couldn't have asked for a better 9 frames tbh. One off the bucket list for sure, but also have a definite appetite to return next year. Don't miss it if you get the opportunity.

PXL_20220419_122212571.MP.jpg

Edited by Christophe

Today's afternoon session sees yet another professional whinger, Judd Trump, take on the first Iranian to play at the Crucible, Hossein Vafaei. 

Of course, the biggest question on everyone's lips will be, "What will be Hossein's entrance music?".

Assuming it's not some Iranian song that I've never heard of, and assuming he's got a bit more taste than to choose some dirge by Adele or some hip-hop nonsense, I'm going for The Safety Dance by Men Without Hats. Literally one in a million chance of getting this right, but imagine if I'm right?

Ooh, here they come.