Snooker

RedWeb

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Those fucking T-shirts though.

Aye, howling. Not a good look on the chubster or the mature gentleman, or combinations thereof.

If they're going to make them wear polos can they not get some decent designer ones with a non-shiny, moob-hugging material?

Anyway Higgins was mince this afternoon and should have been out. Ding was just as bad and still has no bottle. Tonight he was very good, heavy scoring and O'Sullivan missing plenty of easy balls to let him in to do damage. He's having a good season but could do with lifting some silver pots soon for all his form.

I think most of my posts on this thread are pointing out that Shaun Murphy is a gimp. 

Shaun Murphy is a gimp. 

On another note I was looking at the world rankings after reading this story and it's wild how stagnant it is, guys like Nigel Bond and Ken Doherty still in the top 75 (does seniors money count towards rankings?) and even Hendry still in the top 100. 

Just now, Fuctifano said:

I think most of my posts on this thread are pointing out that Shaun Murphy is a gimp. 

Shaun Murphy is a gimp. 

On another note I was looking at the world rankings after reading this story and it's wild how stagnant it is, guys like Nigel Bond and Ken Doherty still in the top 75 (does seniors money count towards rankings?) and even Hendry still in the top 100. 

That's not really due to stagnation as such. Its more a function of the fact that there are only 128 pros (give or take) at any one time, with about 32 of them new at the start of each season and therefore starting off on 0 points.  Therefore, just by virtue of being on the second year of a tour card (as all three of those guys are) and having points carried over frome the previous season you are likely to be in the top 100 at this time of year.

Hendry and Doherty both effectively have tour cards for life if they want them - they are both currently competing on invitational tour cards based on their standing in the game rather than cards that they have qualified for, so they are effectively artificially in the top 128. This also applies to JImmy White. The only one of them who would realistically have a chance of qualifying for a card on merit at their current level is Doherty and even he is borderline.

Nigel Bond is the only one of the guys you mention who is still legitimately on tour because he's qualified to be there and he's been flirting with relegation for years now. I doubt he'll be back once he does drop off tour.

Neil Robertson not exactly covering himself in glory either.

Australia's Neil Robertson, who faces amateur John Astley on Thursday, told BBC Radio 5 Live that he had sympathy with Murphy.

"I totally get where Shaun's coming from," said the defending champion.

"When you're playing one of the Chinese boys, some of them are amateurs, but some are as good as anybody in the top 50 in the world.

"Amateurs are under a completely different pressure where there's actually no pressure, because they're not competing for ranking points.

"They're basically on a free hit at a pro, so I completely agree with what Shaun's saying there, because it is very dangerous.

"You want to give people fair opportunity. What they do a lot of the time, if there's 128 players on the professional circuit and a couple drop out, they replace those spots with top-up places, from best-performing players.

"That's probably what would have happened on this occasion.

"Because Shaun's so highly ranked, he would have been playing a quite low-ranked pro, where he certainly wouldn't have lost.

"But on this occasion he's played someone very good."

20 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Neil Robertson not exactly covering himself in glory either.

There's at least a logic to what Robertson is saying, although I still don't agree with him.

Its true that most of the top up players are comfortably better than the players who fill the bottom 8-10 places in the rankings. That's not an argument against top up players though, especially given that the alternative is just handing byes to the top 8 or so in every event - its an argument for making changes to the way tour cards are handed out so that these players have one and the players regarded as virtual walkovers don't

In any case, it goes without saying that whether they get a top up player or the world no. 120, a top 16 player should be able to beat them over best of 11 and if they don't then they have no business still being in the tournament and they certainly have no right to moan about having to play someone a wee bit too good.

Edited by MrWorldwideJr

3 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Murphy gets punted out in the first round by an amateur and then has a vintage head's gone.

Saw someone share this on the BBC comments section...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/golf/48752528

It would seem Shaun is quite happy to take part in other sports as an amateur.

Edited by NorthernLights