Snooker

RedWeb

Booked up to go to the Scottish Open hosted in Llandudno, Wales. I take the week off for it every year anyway so f**k it.

All day tickets from Monday-Thursday are £11 a day and you could genuinely see close to 12 hours of snooker in a day, sensational value. Even the Friday for the quarters is £19 for the full day. Won't be doing the semis or final though, gets too pricey for what is actually less snooker after that.

Edited by GiGi

• 3 weeks later...

Trump is playing in the 9 ball US open. Won his first round match at a canter against a very weak opponent (won 9-0). He's been seeded for it, for some reason, and apparently started at 6/1 making him one of the favourites :lol:

Looked really good though. His touch was excellent and barely missed a pot. Still, he has no jump shot and I think any of the real seeds will beat him handily. He could win a few matches with some luck.

Edited by GiGi

Watched it. He played some great shots but, it should be said, his opponent missed some pots most people on here would get pissed up. Still, be interesting to see how he gets on. I know Tony Drago has done well in pool as have some former snooker playing women.

8 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Watched it. He played some great shots but, it should be said, his opponent missed some pots most people on here would get pissed up. Still, be interesting to see how he gets on. I know Tony Drago has done well in pool as have some former snooker playing women.

Aye his opponent is either absolutely shite or he just froze in front of the cameras having not expected to be right on the TV table against one of the most well known faces in it. 

Either way I think given Trump only got hold of a table the week before the tournament to start his practice, it's clear if he put his mind to it for any length of time he could reach a world level standard in pool before long. 

22 minutes ago, Raven said:

Trump took his second match 9-2. Looking forward to what happens when he comes up against a pro.

Jason Shaw was commentating and says if he wins his next match then he'll be next in line for Trump.

Shaw would give him a proper hiding at this stage, Trump lost a couple of silly racks today and should even have lost more but again wasn't punished by a nervous opponent.

3 minutes ago, GiGi said:

And Shaw predictably sits Trump down for most of the night and wins 11-1. Huge gulf there.

TBH on that match Shaw would have beat anyone. Still interested to see who Trump gets next but he's a bit of a side show at this.

On 15/09/2021 at 23:45, Raven said:

TBH on that match Shaw would have beat anyone. Still interested to see who Trump gets next but he's a bit of a side show at this.

I was actually quite impressed with Trumps attitude up to and including his hiding from Shaw. You got the vibe that nearly all of the pro Pool players had the major hump with the bookies making Trump the favourite, and it almost seemed like Shaw was acting on behalf of all 9 ball pool players who wanted to see Trump taken down a peg or two, even although he had acted very respectfully towards the players and the game itself. 

I think Trump freely admits he’s not at the standard of the top players, that was evident against Shaw, but it wasn’t his fault the bookies overreacted to him by making him favourite. The bookies prices will only react to money, there’s not a guy sitting at William Hill saying ‘I think Trump will win this’. They obviously had a sizeable amount of people staking money on Trump to win, and had to reduce their odds in order to protect their book.

I can’t say I was upset seeing Shaw trounce him though, I was sort of hoping for a complete whitewash 11-0. I’ve not played a lot of 9 ball before but I’ve played enough Snooker and British pool to see that Trump is still trying shots that might come off on the green baize, but are amateur level at 9 ball. His safety play especially was very poor, you can get away with leaving the ball open on a snooker table due to the length of it, but if you are not completely full ball snookering your opponent on those 9 ball tables then guys like Shaw are going to eat you up. And even when you do get a full ball snooker, they can jump the cue ball and still make the pot :lol: 

I know the pockets are bigger on these tables and you will get people saying it isn’t on the same planet as snooker skill wise, but the control Jayson Shaw had of that cue ball the other night was a joy to watch. I’m sure most people on this thread will have had a go at 9 ball before, but it’s actually very difficult to apply bottom, top spin etc. on those size and weight of balls, it requires an extremely fluent and accurate cue action. For a player at my level, it’s also extremely difficult to keep the white ball out of the pocket, and my main memory of any game of 9 ball I’ve ever had is seeing the cue ball going in off multiple times a frame. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

15 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I was actually quite impressed with Trumps attitude up to and including his hiding from Shaw. You got the vibe that nearly all of the pro Pool players had the major hump with the bookies making Trump the favourite, and it almost seemed like Shaw was acting on behalf of all 9 ball pool players who wanted to see Trump taken down a peg or two, even although he had acted very respectfully towards the players and the game itself. 

I think Trump freely admits he’s not at the standard of the top players, that was evident against Shaw, but it wasn’t his fault the bookies overreacted to him by making him favourite. The bookies prices will only react to money, there’s not a guy sitting at William Hill saying ‘I think Trump will win this’. They obviously had a sizeable amount of people staking money on Trump to win, and had to reduce their odds in order to protect their book.

I can’t say I was upset seeing Shaw trounce him though, I was sort of hoping for a complete whitewash 11-0. I’ve not played a lot of 9 ball before but I’ve played enough Snooker and British pool to see that Trump is still trying shots that might come off on the green baize, but are amateur level at 9 ball. His safety play especially was very poor, you can get away with leaving the ball open on a snooker table due to the length of it, but if you are not completely full ball snookering your opponent on those 9 ball tables then guys like Shaw are going to eat you up. And even when you do get a full ball snooker, they can jump the cue ball and still make the pot :lol: 

I know the pockets are bigger on these tables and you will get people saying it isn’t on the same planet as snooker skill wise, but the control Jayson Shaw had of that cue ball the other night was a joy to watch. I’m sure most people on this thread will have had a go at 9 ball before, but it’s actually very difficult to apply bottom, top spin etc. on those size and weight of balls, it requires an extremely fluent and accurate cue action. For a player at my level, it’s also extremely difficult to keep the white ball out of the pocket, and my main memory of any game of 9 ball I’ve ever had is seeing the cue ball going in off multiple times a frame. 

Good post mate. I hadn't seen much from the actual players in terms of comments about Trump, mainly because I'm watching the games and zooming through the interviews! But there's definitely comments online from fans grumbling about Trump being hyped. But as you say, his price being low doesn't mean hills think he'll win. The fans online are always grumbling about something, whether it's Shaw or Filler or whatever.

I thought he played well enough as a rookie. People talk about the jump but as you say there's way more different skills applied. He ain't gonna kick like Efren. Or break like De Luna. Or do anything like SVB. Great move by matchroom getting him over there.l though. They're doing a job promoting  the sport.  He's also doing great business in exhibitions while he's there!

• 4 weeks later...

Watched a bit of Higgins this week at the Northern Irish open and he has lost an absolute power of weight. Can see a jawline there. 

He still looked quite heavy at the start of the year so he's lost at least 2 or 3 stone in a short space of time. Can only help with his snooker. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wakelin wins 4-0 playing as good as anyone could play. 98% pot success and Hendry didn't get a sniff. 

Similar to when he played at the Gibraltar open against Selt. Another low ranked bald egg playing like a world beater. 

Aye will be watching what I can of this. Both in very good form although Higgins made quite hard work of Bingtao last night, looked a bit tired. 

Hope he's had a good kip for this.