Snooker

RedWeb

I like Steve Davis best at demonstrating stuff on the spare table. Don't particularly like or dislike anyone too much on commentary except for hating Virgo's tedious "where's the cueball going?" which he does for effect when the white isn't within two yards of the pocket. Big fan of Seema Jaswal in the studio. O'Sullivan annoys me as he has had decades of TV appearances and still infects each sentence with at least three "y' know"s. Surely someone could have coached that out of him by now? He is decent apart from that, someone should tell him.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Hendry, McManus and Davis are all good. Hendry is scathing at times but it's better than the kiss-arse attitude some of the others take usually. He knows he has the standing to say whatever he wants and does so with abandon. Very good.

I actually think O'Sullivan and Foulds are both good on Eurosport, when O'Sullivan's meds are still working at least.

On 09/05/2021 at 22:42, Bully Wee Villa said:

The first episode of "Gods of Snooker", focusing mainly on Alex Higgins, was really good. Would recommend watching on iPlayer if you missed it.

Have seen all three and it's a brilliant series. Next one moves on to the middle of the decade and Steve Davis then the third one takes us up to the Hendry era but focuses on Jimmy White.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The British Open has drawn Mark Allen against his ex missus and baby drama mama Reanne Evans :lol: They absolutely hate each other, they better televise that. 

In other news minnows Mark Selby and Shaun Murphy also playing each other on the first round. 

On 28/07/2021 at 12:59, GiGi said:

The British Open has drawn Mark Allen against his ex missus and baby drama mama Reanne Evans :lol: They absolutely hate each other, they better televise that. 

In other news minnows Mark Selby and Shaun Murphy also playing each other on the first round. 

An alternative to Joshua vs Fury!  😂

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Liking the random draw. Much more exciting than watching Selby and Trump swat away the world number 125 eight times a season.

Random draw good. Bo5 matches not good.

The quarters and semis are 7 frames and the final 11 which confirms it as a diddy-tier tournament. Would like to see a bigger event try the format.

Still, £100k up for the winner which is great money for a short format.

Yeah I only don't mind the best of 5 frames if it's some soft of group stage with each player playing at least three games. They can't argue they don't get a fair go, then. Being kicked out of a tournament for losing three frames seems harsh.

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Yeah I only don't mind the best of 5 frames if it's some soft of group stage with each player playing at least three games. They can't argue they don't get a fair go, then. Being kicked out of a tournament for losing three frames seems harsh.

The likes of Trump and Lisowski could conceivably win matches before most other games have got out of their first frames. I prefer to settle in to watching snooker on the tv but you will see some matches over in 30-40 minutes here.

• 3 weeks later...
The British Open has drawn Mark Allen against his ex missus and baby drama mama Reanne Evans [emoji38] They absolutely hate each other, they better televise that. 
A reminder that this is tomorrow night at 7pm, hopefully ITV have it on.

John Higgins is in effect the reigning champion as he won it when it was last played 17 years ago.

Not sure If I have ever seen two flukes in a row before a player loses a frame- Tian fluked a red off a safety and then hard the brown come out out and roll along the cushion before going into the opposite pocket.

Williams made him pay for missing a fairly easy yellow.

Edited by Comrie

Also John Higgins kicked off his defence of the title with a 147 in the first frame. Wins 3-1.

He's off the drink apparently and looks a good couple of stone leaner. Great to see.