Snooker

RedWeb

There's pretty much no value to be gained in looking for a snooker off the break. The pack will not be open and the snookered player will just roll into it since it's a massive target and no chance of leaving anything on.

Much better to be tight to the cushion and leave a much more difficult return of safety.

4 hours ago, printer said:

You're wrong. 

35 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

That's just bollocks.

Well that's me told :lol:

In the unlikely event that I suddenly get good at snooker and find myself in the finals at the Crucible, I shall step up to take my break and announce "This one's for Printer and Pandarilla", then nestle the ball directly behind the yellow. My opponent will fail to get out the snooker and I'll get a free ball, and subsequently rack up the first ever 155 break. Bookmark this page. 

2 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Well that's me told :lol:

In the unlikely event that I suddenly get good at snooker and find myself in the finals at the Crucible, I shall step up to take my break and announce "This one's for Printer and Pandarilla", then nestle the ball directly behind the yellow. My opponent will fail to get out the snooker and I'll get a free ball, and subsequently rack up the first ever 155 break. Bookmark this page. 

If you get to the final at the crucible and your opponent leaves a free ball with 15 reds on the table then the sport is finished anyway.

Well that's me told [emoji38]
Noted. God speed.

McGill threw in a pretty crap 2nd session but he won a crucial final frame. Should be 9-7 or arguably even 8-8 but he's somehow got out 10-6 in front. He'll be delighted with that because he did his best to fluff a very commanding lead.

Even at 10-6 I wouldn't be confident of him putting Maflin away.

On the subject of nicknames

Ding Junhui is the Dragon

Yan Bingtao is the Tiger

The other Chinese boy whose name I forget that went out in the first round was called the Firecracker

Can only assume the next Chinese guy to make the tour will be called the Wall or something equally ridiculous 

39 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

On the subject of nicknames

Ding Junhui is the Dragon

Yan Bingtao is the Tiger

The other Chinese boy whose name I forget that went out in the first round was called the Firecracker

Can only assume the next Chinese guy to make the tour will be called the Wall or something equally ridiculous 

5G?

Back to McGill, I see since his storm in a teacup run-in with Clarke that it's given some mutants an excuse for anti-Scottish sentiment to come pouring out. People calling him McCheat, which aside from being rank awful patter (and it being his opponent who was literally breaking the rules) and generally making sure to call him a Scottish cheat just shows the masks slipping for some.

I'm usually happy enough to see a Scot doing well but I'm now fully behind him to win the entire tournament just to annoy as many of these gammony ghouls as possible. If he was to make to the final and beat O'Sullivan I might need revived from the laughter.

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

My order of preference for winning the tournament is:

Maflin
MacGill
Wilson
Williams
O'Sullivan 
Selby

So get your money on Selby.

Swap McGill for Maflin and Selby for O'Sullivan and that's about the size of it for me.

The winner of Maflin and McGill is not getting past Wilson though. Neither are going to be consistent enough over 33 frames.

Yeah, I can't see it. MacGill could maybe grind down someone like O'Sullivan. Not that he is massively negative but his frames often seem to go scrappy. However, Wilson doesn't seem the sort to be bothered if he has to play a few shitfest frames, even more so as he should be the freshest player left in it having had the first round off.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Yeah, I can't see it. MacGill could maybe grind down someone like O'Sullivan. Not that he is massively negative but his frames often seem to go scrappy. However, Wilson doesn't seem the sort to be bothered if he has to play a few shitfest frames, even more so as he should be the freshest player left in it having had the first round off.

McGill has struggled to breakbuild and I think is the only remaining player not to knock a ton in. He's broken down on 30 or 40 because his positional play has been poor. His safety has generally been ok.

Maflin is just a super low percentage shot player and while he'll pot 2/3 really difficult shots, the ones he'll inevitably miss will catch up to him like they have against McGill so far. He had to red line it for a prolonged period to get past Higgins and I just don't see him getting to 17 frames before someone mega consistent and more patient like Wilson.

I like Maflin, he goes for everything. He's basically me if I wasn't massively rubbish. But yeah, his all round game isn't gonna see him home. Be fun watching him try for a few more sessions, though, so I hope he wins tonight. If not, I'm switching allegiance to MacGill for the semis. Wilson will have plenty more chances to win the title. This is probably a once in a lifetime chance for Maflin/MacGill.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa