Snooker

RedWeb

The difference in quality between both matches was so noticeable. Ronnie's match flew by with some misses and tactical play by both but both going for shots and not pissing about. Williams looked as if he was playing as good as when he won it two years ago yet whilst very relaxed. Maflin looks fucked mentality which left McGill in frequently.

2 hours ago, microdave said:

One thing that gets on my nerves about O'Sullivan (not of his making) is how he's referred to as Ronnie. The presenter on bbc just twice referred to him by first name and to Mark Williams as Williams.

Snooker players are often refered to by their first name in commentary. Ronnie does get it more often than most but O'Sullivan is a bit of a mouthful.

Ronnie is right that it would take something traumatic to knock him out the top 50. but snooker has changed in the last decade to a better ranking system with more tournaments so dropping out the top 16 isn't as punishing as it used to be. I'm not even sure that 10 years ago there were 50 full time snooker pros.

Because no professional tries to do that with the break. They try to leave it dead weight against the cushion.

First frame back after the break. Wilson breaks off and nestles it nicely behind the brown. Commentators: "That's a pacy one". "He got lucky there". How the hell do they know he didn't mean it? 

Second day of the QF is normally the best day of the snooker calendar, IMO. Looking like it could be a bit anticlimactic this year, though, with the one sided matches.

Though I suppose it'll be quite a story if Trump and O'Sullivan lose on the same day, even if we don't get any exciting finishes.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

19 minutes ago, printer said:

Because no professional tries to do that with the break. They try to leave it dead weight against the cushion.

I'd have thought leaving it tight behind a baulk cushion and snookering your opponent would be preferable to leaving an awkward shot from the cushion. Yes - it's high risk but given that these players can hit it at just the right power to leave the cue ball exactly where they want, I find it hard to believe that Wilson fluffed the shot. 

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Snooker players are often refered to by their first name in commentary. Ronnie does get it more often than most but O'Sullivan is a bit of a mouthful.

Ronnie is right that it would take something traumatic to knock him out the top 50. but snooker has changed in the last decade to a better ranking system with more tournaments so dropping out the top 16 isn't as punishing as it used to be. I'm not even sure that 10 years ago there were 50 full time snooker pros.

In fairness, Kyren and Judd were both getting called by their first names. I'm guessing if your name is really boring like John, Mark, or, er Chris - you get your surname. If you've got a jazzy first name, then you go with that instead. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

An aside, but it annoys me when tennis umpires will say "game Federer" when men are playing but "game Miss Williams" when it's ladies.

Surely that is condescending as f**k?  Why do we need to know their marital status? But noone but me ever seems to mention it. Hoping I get the thanks I deserve for raising this issue and that Emma Stone plays me in a biopic.

I'm so irate about this matter that I haven't even had time to take offence at The Cardigan's insult in the previous post.

10 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

An aside, but it annoys me when tennis umpires will say "game Federer" when men are playing but "game Miss Williams" when it's ladies.

Surely that is condescending as f**k?  Why do we need to know their marital status? But noone but me ever seems to mention it. Hoping I get the thanks I deserve for raising this issue and that Emma Stone plays me in a biopic.

I'm so irate about this matter that I haven't even had time to take offence at The Cardigan's insult in the previous post.

another aside. How long until Federer comes out and rips the pish out of every young tennis player for being shite.

Well, quite. O'Sullivan is an arse. I finally decided I could no longer cheer him on when he said something along the lines of "suck my dick" to a Chinese lady who was interviewing him. A revolting way to behave. He's spent his whole life surrounded by sycophants telling him how great he is and has no respect for anyone else.

26 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I'd have thought leaving it tight behind a baulk cushion and snookering your opponent would be preferable to leaving an awkward shot from the cushion. Yes - it's high risk but given that these players can hit it at just the right power to leave the cue ball exactly where they want, I find it hard to believe that Wilson fluffed the shot. 

Snookering generally results in your opponent rolling up to the pack leaving nothing on and the only shot left after is to head back up the table. It's now felt by many to leave it more hampered where the white is tight on the top cushion.

Selby slowly strangling the life out of Robertson. 10-5 up with one to play.

You're wrong. It's just not something a professional tries with the break.

Don't think they've done that for a good few years now. The Williams v Williams final promted a review I think (they went for their full names then I think) but it has changed. Of course way back in the day they used to refer to female players not only by their married name but by their husband's name. Didnt Chris Evert get called Mrs John Lloyd at Wimbledon?

Don't think they've done that for a good few years now. The Williams v Williams final promted a review I think (they went for their full names then I think) but it has changed. Of course way back in the day they used to refer to female players not only by their married name but by their husband's name. Didnt Chris Evert get called Mrs John Lloyd at Wimbledon?

That's right. The women used to be referred to as Mrs "husband's name". It was initials rather than first name, e.g. J Lloyd, including middle initials. That was just reflecting society generally.

2 hours ago, printer said:

You're wrong. It's just not something a professional tries with the break.

But he's a professional and he tried it and it worked. 

It's like saying that going backwards over the high jump is wrong because professionals don't do it, but then Dick Fosbury started doing it and now everyone does it. 

But he's a professional and he tried it and it worked. 
It's like saying that going backwards over the high jump is wrong because professionals don't do it, but then Dick Fosbury started doing it and now everyone does it. 
That's just bollocks.

He didn't try it. It happened and he was relieved.