Snooker

RedWeb

5 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Anyway, regardless it is fairly wanky comments from O'Sullivan. Lots of them will have grown up idolising him.

I used to be a massive ROS fanboy in my youth, but behaviour like yesterday is why I now think he's a p***k.

Well this is it. Even if he's right it's still shite patter to say it and in the totally condescending way he said it. No class.

Edited by GiGi

Can't agree more. Not a year goes by without him complaining about something. The guy is literally paid millions of pounds to do something he would be doing even if he didn't get paid for it. 

You don't hear me moaning about being a moderator on P+B and I barely get paid 6 figures for it. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I dunno, there's only a couple of tournaments where you have to worry about playing more than eleven frames before you get to the final.

I think most of the ranking tournaments you are over that by the quarters at the latest. Probably backs up O'Sullivans point. When it matters, it's longer games, which means him and the guys he talks about will generally get enough ranking points to not have to worry for the next year.

ETA:

Judd Trump looks like a fud but he is a good example of a player who came through and struggled big time when it went to longer matches. His first World Final in 2009 or whenever it was was followed by 3 or 4 seasons of where he would reach the latter stages and collapse as the required frames would increase. Took him 6 or 7 years to work on that and start winning with regularity. The UK Championship he won around that time was starting to look like a bit of a fluke until a couple of years ago.

Edited by Ross.

Only bothering with ranking events:

Riga Masters, Shoot Out, Gibraltar Open - no matches over best of 11

China Championship, English Open, World Open, Northern Ireland Open, UK Championship, Scottish Open, European Masters, German Masters, World Grand Prix, Welsh Open, Players Championship - no matches over best of 11 until Final.

International Championship - no matches over best of 11 until Semi-Final.

Tour Championship - all matches over best of 11, but only eight players qualify.

World Championship - all matches from Final Qualifying Round over best of 11. Would normally be all qualifying matches but was shortened this year due to Covid.

So, with the exception of the World Championship, longer matches aren't really a factor for the players outside the elite.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

4 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Has there ever been a less apt nickname than "The Jester From Leicester"?

Was thinking that earlier. Remember when he won the World title the same day Leicester won the league and he looked like someone had shat in his tea.  Cheer up mate, FFS.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

China Championship, English Open, World Open, Northern Ireland Open, UK Championship, Scottish Open, European Masters, German Masters, World Grand Prix, Welsh Open, Players Championship - no matches over best of 11 until Final.

Had in my head that these ones were all over best of 11 from the quarters on.

Edited by Ross.

Trump is still not really firing yet this tournament. Should be ahead but currently 2 down against Wilson. Wilson is playing solid and unspectacular, his chances have generally been quite easy.

Just now, peasy23 said:

Good start by McGill, going 2-0 up.

And a strong start to the battle of '92 as well. Hate to say it but O'Sullivan has looked tremendous in all of his matches so far. Can't see past him winning it this year.

29 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Good start by McGill, going 2-0 up.

No stereotyping with Maflin's nickname, didn't take some genius long to come up with "The Viking" for a Norwegian player.

I can't be the only one confusing Kurt Maflin with Burt Macklin can I?

Finishes the session in style and it's 6-2 now. Playing shots off the spider without holding the rest, underarm specials and generally just looked like he was taking the piss. Shot time must have been about 3 seconds at the end there as well. Crushing stuff honestly. If he plays like that tomorrow O'Sullivan will really struggle to catch him even with the form he's in.