Snooker

RedWeb

Watching the 1992 highlights and Jimmy totally shat it in the end. Far too many pish shots when in and in a position to put Hendry back under pressure.

I'm not sure what side I’d have been on during Jimmy’s 6th final. I'm a fan of his (tho he's now a bit of a joke) and part of me would have wanted him to finally win. Yet, Hendry who was so attacking and great to watch plus Scottish.

The first world final I remember watching was Hendry losing to Doherty and was gutted. The worst I've ever felt was after Edbon won it in 2002(?), I was utterly devastated. I hated Ebdon and so wanted Hendry to get his 8th.

I was 11 and hendry was my sporting hero.

I didn't move for the entire evening session because I thought i would jinx it. I stayed in the bloody kitchen, after eating my supper, whilst my dad watched it in the living room.

It's a lovely memory, and i enjoyed watching it again today.

I'm not sure what side I’d have been on during Jimmy’s 6th final. I'm a fan of his (tho he's now a bit of a joke) and part of me would have wanted him to finally win. Yet, Hendry who was so attacking and great to watch plus Scottish.

I was always rooting for Jimmy. He was my favourite then, and still is, but Hendry was my second favourite, so I was always happy to see him win. The steely look in his eyes and his bravery in taking on the necessary shot even when missing it would likely cost him are evident in these replays. Greatest player of all time IMO.

Really enjoying all these matches. Huge underdog Joe Johnson beating Davis was a great watch.

Sounds like Ronnie was shitting it.

Cant remember if it's been discussed but this was one of the best matches I can remember from younger days.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2002/may/02/snooker.danrookwood
Hendry getting it right, right up him for being a massive fanny. That look when Hendry pots the winning ball.

Anyway, I'm assuming that if the World Championship does go ahead this year, that it will be the only remaining tournament of the year and we can therefore work out the seedlings based on the current rankings.

On that basis, the Second Round would be as follows if all the seeds got through... also assuming O'Sullivan turns up, though I think that was still undecided.

Judd Trump (1) vs Yan Bingtao (16)

Shaun Murphy (9) vs Kyren Wilson (8)

Mark Allen (5) vs Jack Lisowski (12)

Stuart Bingham (13) vs John Higgins (4)

--------------------------------------------

Mark Williams (3) vs Stephen Maguire (14)

David Gilbert (11) vs Ronnie O'Sullivan (6)

Mark Selby (7) vs Ding Junhui (10)

Barry Hawkins (15) vs Neil Robertson (2)

If O'Sullivan doesn't attend, move everyone ranked 7th-16th up a place and add Joe Perry at (16)

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

• 4 weeks later...

I watched one frame of Slessor vs Wells and had to turn it of, the frame descended into "a game of pool after six pints" when there were reds all over the table.

I've been watching some of the coverage on ITV4. Now, whilst snooker coverage on ITV is just all sorts of wrong, it's better than nothing. 

Lisowski v Brecel was nothing to shout about but what really struck me was how odd it appeared when there was (obviously) no 'crowd reaction' when a good shot was played. And despite their best efforts, there were a few good shots. 

Yeah, it feels odd seeing players make great shots and even centuries, with not even a semblance of applause. I'm still enjoying it, though.

Hope the World Championships are behind closed doors as I don't really want to travel up there when all the pubs are still likely shut, but I'd like to watch it while I'm "working" from home, and still have my ticket reserved for next year's event, when hopefully things will have normalised a bit.

I watched somes games today and it was eye bleedingly bad. Don't think a lot of these players have been able to practice by the looks of things.

I quite like the odd scrappy frame so don't mind, to be honest. I'm more likely to get bored watching players clear up frame after frame!

I do think the group format lends itself to some players not being overly arsed. If you lose your first match, you're pretty much already out. That probably isn't boosting the standard in the latter group games.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/06/2020 at 01:07, GiGi said:

I watched somes games today and it was eye bleedingly bad. Don't think a lot of these players have been able to practice by the looks of things.

Watching Robertson v Maguire in the tour championship and now we're talking. Great standard so far.