Snooker

RedWeb

For anybody looking for their snooker fix it's Hendry v White both today and tomorrow on BBC2 at 2.00 pm.

Today is their 1988 second round tie which went the full distance, and tomorrow is the 92 final when Hendry reeled off 10 straight frames to come from 6 behind to win.
Fucking yass. My childhood revisited.

I'm hoping it's behind closed doors as then tickets will be transferred over. I won't be going this year as I have underlying health issues and therefore wouldn't be sensible to travel down to Sheffield. 

The Hendry v White 1988 match this afternoon was class, both players all out attack. Yeah, they missed a number of pots but far better than playing safe on 20 when the red was slightly difficult. Can only imagine the effect it had on those watching at home that there was someone else on the scene who was going to have a go and could match the regulars, especially when there weren't many others who were more attacking (White, Higgins (in 1988 past his prime), Drago (who was also quick but pretty shit over long matches). 

Other item of note was the commentary where they often were silent. Virgo was co-commentating and he rarely spoke, was a pleasure not having to put up with all his shite that we now suffer every year.

Edited by meanmistermustard

22 minutes ago, meanmistermustard said:

Other item of note was the commentary where they often were silent. Virgo was co-commentating and he rarely spoke, was a pleasure not having to put up with all his shite that we now suffer every year.

That's the problem with having the same commentators for 30 years. A decade ago they may have still added some comment of value but now they're just doddering auld b*****ds. Thankfully being phased out in favour of Hendry, McManus, Parrott, Doherty etc who are all good. Can see McManus easily turning into a Virgo like figure in 20 years right enough.

Edited by GiGi

2 hours ago, meanmistermustard said:

Virgo was co-commentating and he rarely spoke, was a pleasure not having to put up with all his shite that we now suffer every year.

I don't mind Virgo but appreciate how he may (and seems to) annoy the majority (on here anyway). It was Thorne I couldn't stand. Never liked him. 

That said, the modern lot Hendry, McManus, Parrot and to an extent Doherty don't pull their punches and criticise heavily when required. I like that. Much, much better than the 'everything is great, isn't he great' mantra chuntered out so much these days. 

2 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

I don't mind Virgo but appreciate how he may (and seems to) annoy the majority (on here anyway). It was Thorne I couldn't stand. Never liked him. 

That said, the modern lot Hendry, McManus, Parrot and to an extent Doherty don't pull their punches and criticise heavily when required. I like that. Much, much better than the 'everything is great, isn't he great' mantra chuntered out so much these days. 

Listening to Hendry and Davis pulling up players for playing poor shots highlights just how out-dated Virgo etc are when they are constantly blaming every miss on kicks and the pressure of the Crucible.

Rewatching old Hendry matches, not so much from the 80s but more 90s and early 2000s, it's striking how much angle he leaves himself when breakbuilding compared to other players. A lot of players I think try to play shots a bit too well and up straight or just off straight on the wrong side etc but Hendry was happy to leave himself a thinner shot and rely on his ability to make it to guarantee getting a shot on the next ball.

Rewatching old Hendry matches, not so much from the 80s but more 90s and early 2000s, it's striking how much angle he leaves himself when breakbuilding compared to other players. A lot of players I think try to play shots a bit too well and up straight or just off straight on the wrong side etc but Hendry was happy to leave himself a thinner shot and rely on his ability to make it to guarantee getting a shot on the next ball.
Davis moved the game on in the 80s, but Hendry took it to to a completely different level to anything seen before. Got the 92 final on just now, just put in a huge break to tie it at 14-14, White doesn't do that much wrong but Hendry was utterly ruthless.

12 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Davis moved the game on in the 80s, but Hendry took it to to a completely different level to anything seen before. Got the 92 final on just now, just put in a huge break to tie it at 14-14, White doesn't do that much wrong but Hendry was utterly ruthless.

The later it goes the more it looks like White just shits the bed a bit.

8 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Also Jimmy White was only 29 in that final 😂 Hendry was 23 and White looks like he could be his dad.

White looks as if he aged about twenty years from the last match I saw him in on Tuesday.

This is some astonishing snooker btw, and the commentary just makes me sad. Taylor, Virgo, McManus, they'd take about five minutes to say the total amount of words you get from Vine and Lowe in a match.

10 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

This is some astonishing snooker btw, and the commentary just makes me sad. Taylor, Virgo, McManus, they'd take about five minutes to say the total amount of words you get from Vine and Lowe in a match.

It is. Hendry just happy leaving all these tricky pots at distance knowing he'll just make them anyway.

The match is lightning quick as well no messing about from either of them.

Just now, peasy23 said:

The break for the clinching frame really was a thing of beauty. The reds were spread out like vomit but at no time did Hendry struggle for position, he put the white exactly where he wanted on every shot.

What better way to win a world title? Just step up and knock 100 in to clear the table. Racing round never looking like missing a ball.

The modern snooker fan (CAMMON RONNEH) really don't appreciate how great Hendry was.

I'm not sure if the Worlds will happen at all this year. I really can't see it being played in front of a crowd and I think the players wouldn't want to play to an empty crucible. Surely the magic of the place is the tension that the crowd exudes. I was supposed to be there this coming Tuesday but I'm going to hold off for a bit before deciding what to do about the tickets. My preference is for them to be valid next year if they either cancel or play bcd. I don't really want to go in August and as was pointed out earlier in the thread, it won't be ideal if there are no pubs etc open.

Watching the 1992 highlights and Jimmy totally shat it in the end. Far too many pish shots when in and in a position to put Hendry back under pressure.

I'm not sure what side I’d have been on during Jimmy’s 6th final. I'm a fan of his (tho he's now a bit of a joke) and part of me would have wanted him to finally win. Yet, Hendry who was so attacking and great to watch plus Scottish.

The first world final I remember watching was Hendry losing to Doherty and was gutted. The worst I've ever felt was after Edbon won it in 2002(?), I was utterly devastated. I hated Ebdon and so wanted Hendry to get his 8th.