Snooker

RedWeb

Exceptional from Trump in beating Ding, totally blew him away tonight and never looked in doubt by the end until he missed a tricky blue.

33 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Ten years ago it looked certain that Ding would win at least one World Championship, and maybe even half a dozen. I don't think he will ever win it, now. 

Hendry was basically saying the same at the end.

2 hours ago, GiGi said:

Agree with all that. And I also think it's why we don't see young world champions much now.

The last 10 year's it seems to be old heads lifting the trophy. Guys with the experience and mental fortitude that know how to manage such a heavy tournament.

Most of the young guys are playing these short format tournaments week in week out so I think the world's is a shock to the system. The guys in their 30s and 40s still remember a time when tournaments were much more sparse and you could properly prepare for the marathon in Sheffield.

I fancy it will be another 30+ winner again this year though it's not sticking my neck out much, must be only Trump and Wilson left to buck the trend. 

There is a demand by at least some of the players and fans for the longer matches and which is why the Tour Championship now exists and hopefully more are forthcoming. I get why the matches are usually so short and it's easier for some of the lower ranked players to get thru, giving them a nice payday, but it doesn't help with the quality at times nor being able to really get into the match, for the players or the fans.

I'd rather the UK Championship went back to best of seventeen and maybe best of twenty-five in the final. Other than that, I don't mind the shorter frame tournaments.. 

The World Championship should always be the best and I like that it is much longer than all the other events, the biggest challenge by far. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'd rather the UK Championship went back to best of seventeen and maybe best of twenty-five in the final. Other than that, I don't mind the shorter frame tournaments.. 

The World Championship should always be the best and I like that it is much longer than all the other events, the biggest challenge by far. 

The UK is now not much of anything. Too short to get the quality long matches allow, instead I feel they drag on a bit. Not even sure it should be considered one of the three big tournaments as it stands.

4 minutes ago, meanmistermustard said:

The UK is now not much of anything. Too short to get the quality long matches allow, instead I feel they drag on a bit. Not even sure it should be considered one of the three big tournaments as it stands.

Make the China open a longer format and there's your next biggest tourny. 

Out of interest, 

Why does BBC Wales get permission to show the Welsh Open yet BBC Scotland doesn't show the Scottish or NI the Irish? Is it so they can torture the Welsh by allowing Willie Thorne a few days in the commentary booth whilst he can still claim he's still got what it takes. Their coverage is bizarre tho as they even turn off the online coverage during frames if the broadcast is due to end on the TV.

Edited by meanmistermustard

16 minutes ago, meanmistermustard said:

Out of interest, 

Why does BBC Wales get permission to show the Welsh Open yet BBC Scotland doesn't show the Scottish or NI the Irish? Is it so they can torture the Welsh by allowing Willie Thorne a few days in the commentary booth whilst he can still claim he's still got what it takes. Their coverage is bizarre tho as they even turn off the online coverage during frames if the broadcast is due to end on the TV.

Not sure, maybe it is to do with how much they spend on sport in each nation?

Scotland has Sportscene, I assume BBC Northern Ireland shows the odd hurling or gaelic football? 

BBC used to have the Scottish Championship in the eighties when only Scots were allowed to enter. Saw coverage of Ted Lowe commentating on Hendry winning it as a teenager. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Gary Wilson beats Carter 13-9 and he'll play, probably, Trump. (who is leading Maguire 7-1).

I like watching Gary Wilson, goes for his shots, is quick enough and doesn't come across in any way detestable. Delighted Carter is out.

Hoping Gilbert keeps it together so we also lose Keiran Wilson. 

Virgo is doing my head in more than usual tonight. Good to hear Steve Davis pull him up for saying (for the umpteenth time) that a player would go to the dressing room to splash water on his face. Anyway, it's now 11-9 Higgins!

Virgo is doing my head in more than usual tonight. Good to hear Steve Davis pull him up for saying (for the umpteenth time) that a player would go to the dressing room to splash water on his face. Anyway, it's now 11-9 Higgins!
Virgo is horrible. Davis is at least calling things to a decent standard.