5 True Statements About Yourself...

Silvio

• 2 weeks later...

1. I am not particularly ambitious, all i’ve ever wanted in life was to have a wife, kids and job that i enjoy. I have all this, don’t think i can or want to achieve anything more.

ETA: if it was anything it would go back to college/uni and do sports physio. But all that seems like too much of a pain at this stage.

2. I am not great at football, despite my delusions growing up.

3. I will try and help people as often as i can.

4. I see myself as friendly and approachable, but have days where i just want to tell folk to f**k off.

5. I worry a lot about really inconsequential stuff.

1. Money isn't important to me, and would rather waste it and enjoy it than save it.

2. I've went back to full time education as a relatively old b*****d. Glad I did.

3. Football is the only sport I am even semi - decent at. I love watching a few sports, mainly Ice Hockey and snooker/pool but I'm shite at them all.

4. I am a non conforming b*****d to be honest. I have never watched GOT, for example, because so many people said I should. Could be missing out on a delight but I'm happy without it and other peer pressure.

5. I've scored goals at a variety of senior stadia in Scotland, despite never having played at any level higher than Sunday league.

2 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

1. Money isn't important to me, and would rather waste it and enjoy it than save it.

2. I've went back to full time education as a relatively old b*****d. Glad I did.

3. Football is the only sport I am even semi - decent at. I love watching a few sports, mainly Ice Hockey and snooker/pool but I'm shite at them all.

4. I am a non conforming b*****d to be honest. I have never watched GOT, for example, because so many people said I should. Could be missing out on a delight but I'm happy without it and other peer pressure.

5. I've scored goals at a variety of senior stadia in Scotland, despite never having played at any level higher than Sunday league.

11 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

No2 is probably necessary if you think “I’ve went....” is acceptable English

Image result for mick mccarthy gif

11 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Given that using 'went' negates the need for an auxiliary verb I'll stick with that, thanks.

Went back, gone back. Makes no difference and both are grammaticality fine.

Thanks though emoji849.png

It does when you stick "I've/you've/they've" in front of it.

Not strictly true either. If I had written something like 'I have went back' then I concede you might have a point. As the use of 'I've' is considered to not use an auxiliary verb then it is still grammatically correct.

Not strictly true either. If I had written something like 'I have went back' then I concede you might have a point. As the use of 'I've' is considered to not use an auxiliary verb then it is still grammatically correct.  

Not in any English speaking country.
Glasgow, maybe an exception

It's been a while since I listened to commercial radio but I recall listening to a sports host bragging about the colleges he "could've went to." Obviously he didn't went to one that demanded basic grammar skills from its Journalism graduates.

• 2 weeks later...

1 : I left school with no qualifications after being expelled.

2 : Whilst in prison my 1Q was tested at 149.

3 : I have been paid for sex. (by the opposite sex!)

4 : I retired at 46

5 : Tried most hallucenegenic drugs, to explore inner space.

• 2 months later...

5. Imposter Syndrome - even the title of that makes me think I can't really have it ; but whilst I'm reasonably confident most of the time. Often, even topics I'm fairly well read on or know about e.g usually something useless ; I still feel like I'm blagging it and I could word things better when speaking about it.

4. Ah f**k It - I'm quite tight with money -not for a lack of enjoyment - but I don't buy new clothes, technology, cars or whatnot at the drop of a hat - but occasionally if spending money,I'll have ah f**k it moment, and spend more than usual. Almost like once every season I'll buy clothes, books etc but I can happily live very frugally for long periods of time. Now to sound a p***k, but I've almost got everything I want : Spotify, TV subs, a decent phone, laptop, etc.

3. I prefer Scottish football to any other league - imagine many of us here are in the same boat ;  but I liked the EPL growing up but the last 5 years or so its really just left me feeling cold. I'll still watch the odd match but the game has gone insane. The hype, the mad signings for crazy money, the over-analysis of matches and paper talk/rumours about signings etc is just wild. There's also something particularly sad about people from outwith England following another nation's league 24/7 and referring to the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool as 'we'. Been hoping for a bubble bursting at some point ; but will it ever come?

2. Listening to less new music - ironic considering the access to music and new bands/albums for free is everywhere. Every few months I'll say to myself go and try and find a new band/musician to listen to and I do for a bit but then end up going back to old favourites. I played in bands, listened to a lot of music but I'm now in my 30s and find myself looking forward to a new podcast episode rather than released music.

1. Scrapping the barrel here but I wear a watch on my right hand yet I am right-handed. I believe most people do this the other way around?

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/06/2019 at 21:25, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Given that using 'went' negates the need for an auxiliary verb I'll stick with that, thanks.

Went back, gone back. Makes no difference and both are grammaticality fine.

Thanks though emoji849.png

On 13/06/2019 at 21:38, Jacksgranda said:

On 14/06/2019 at 07:14, Raidernation said:

Not in any English speaking country.
Glasgow, maybe an exception

Arguing about what people 'should' say is as daft as arguing about which way the wind 'should' blow. Grammar is what people make it and attempts to force so-called standard English (or any other language) on people who speak regional or class varieties are misguided and futile.

Standard English may well not use a past simple verb after 'I have', but Standard English is only one of the many varieties of English used in the world and is no more worthy than any of the other varieties. There is absolutely nothing inherently better about it.

Don't say it myself, but criticising someone for using native-speaker grammar of any language just shows a fundamental lack of understanding of language.

There. I've went and said it.

1. As a sport, I don't care for football all that much and I need to support one of the teams playing (or have a bet on) to have any interest.  Despite this, I've watched a league game at every SPFL and Highland League ground in addition to a good number of LL ones.  For me football away days (which include my 'home' games 40 miles away) are merely a sociably acceptable way to crawl the pubs of the land without being labelled an alcoholic, plus you get to meet a good number of sound c***s.

2.  I don't drive (never have) and there are few subjects that can bore me to tears as much as 'cars'.  Until ~3 years ago this was forced upon me for medical reasons, but now that I'm finally allowed to I have zero enthusiasm about learning despite everybody banging on about 'personal freedom'.  15 years of travelling the length and breadth of the land by public transport gives you an insight into numerous places that you'd only ever see on a stupid bus route, hence my seemingly creepy knowledge of places around Scotland.

3.  My favourite 'hobby' is caving and I've previously discovered a handful of significant Scottish caves having walked over rather random bits of the Highlands / Perthshire (one of which has yielded some hyena bones).  For me there's no greater buzz than discovering and walking about somewhere that no human has ever set eyes on before.

4. I went back to uni to start a PhD 3.5 years ago and am currently trying to write the b*****d thing up whilst juggling that and running a consultancy firm that I fell into as part of my project.  This is a bad combination when it comes to mental health.

5.  I only lived in Brechin until I was 4.  However, somebody has to follow these little teams to prop the league up and when I was 16 and old enough to travel about by myself, I decided to follow Brechin as I preferred the smaller 'end-swapping' style grounds to the widespread introduction of the Lego brick stadium ca. 2000.  I could also get match entry and a day out somewhere for the same price as watching my 'big team' in the (then) SPL just 3 miles away.   Both teams have mostly lost for over two years now, piling little but misery on me.

Edited by Hedgecutter

24 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

went back to uni to start a PhD 3.5 years ago and am currently trying to write the b*****d thing up

The sense of accomplishment of doing this whilst juggling a job and everyday life will stay with you forever. And feeling just a little bit self-satisfied when the realisation of what you've done flits through your mind every once in a while.

1. Me and my brother have the same birthday.....but nine years apart !

2. I was in the musicians union for a while and, with my surname beginning with the letter P, that put me right next to Marti Pellow in the listings.

3. I am unable to click my fingers, I don't know anyone, other than me who is not able to do this.

4. Former St Mirren goalkeeper Campbell Money once called me a 'fucking p***k'

5. I was very loudly and violently sick during the minutes silence for Princess Diana before the Scotland v Belarus game at Pittodrie the day after her funeral following a heavy night out in Aberdeen the night before. 

Edited by Flybhoy

1. Despite being not being allowed to stay on at school I still made it to university and gain a degree in civil engineering.

2. I left home at 16 and shared a poky wee flat in Perth with my best mate. (in fairness I was only a couple of weeks away from 17).

3. I was wanked off in my English class at the end of 1st year by one of the many wee dirties in my year.

4. I met my wife on a dating website.

5. I don't do trivial illnesses. 

On 13/06/2019 at 14:43, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I think that @Raidernation was perhaps being unnecessarily cheeky to pull you up for this; but "I've" is simply a contraction of "I have", in which "have" is undeniably an auxiliary verb.

You've used an auxiliary verb with the preterite simple past, instead of with a past participle. It's a perfectly reasonable form of speech, just not standard. Suggest an alternative defence of ripping into your detractors by taking the moral high ground; not the grammatical one.

(Sorry, didn't realize that was such an old post!)

Edited by sugna
Added apology for being daft about post dates.