Scots Independence Referendum

Guest RTB

Scots Independence  

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

...and with Scotland becoming an independent country the UK would no longer exist. Thus meaning England would not immediately be in the EU or EEC. It does work both ways though i don't see this as a problem for either country.

:blink:

I take it NI and Wales just disapear when Scotland becomes independent?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I see it there are 2 problems in what you say,

1 - you say it would be short term but there are many countries in the eastern block who have been waiting for years to get full member status - now i know we are not in the same situation but equally i dont think it would be as quick as you might suggest.

2 - 'if they had half a brain between them' ;)

Okay well what I would say to that is that Eastern Block countries have often been slowed down by the fact that their economic/legal practices and suchlike are incompatible. I'd suggest that since Scotland is already part of the European Union by virtue of being a consitituent part of the UK, it already conforms to such practices and would be brought in pretty swiftly.

As for the second point... well, that's the bigger stumbling block.

I feel as though I've been more pragmatic than normal about this issue in this topic and XBL's presence has me worried I might say something that will completely undermine what I believe :ph34r:

:lol: :lol: :lol: You really are clueless right!

So your blaming Thatcher for something that was inevitable. We live in a world now where globalization is impossible to avoid and it naturally hits trade. People were buying coal at cheaper prices than it was for sale here. I know that she was a bint for causing harm to the livelyhood of so many but she recognized that British industries were on their last legs. You can't blame her for people buying elsewhere.

As for the Act of the union, we needed it. Scotland had a horrific debt run up by over-indulgence. James merely used his initiative to burden the debt on the rest of England and Wales too. As for democratic thinking, that when you know you are talking pish. We're looking at 1707...not 2007. Most common men and women didn't have the vote. Indeed, normal women had little influence in day to day life. We still had slavery present within our empire and Britain. So to think the people would be consulted on this is lunacy. Most people saw it as another treaty and didn't care less. :rolleyes:

Aye, so says the great book britannia. You have been brainwashed or should that be britwashed.

Okay well what I would say to that is that Eastern Block countries have often been slowed down by the fact that their economic/legal practices and suchlike are incompatible. I'd suggest that since Scotland is already part of the European Union by virtue of being a consitituent part of the UK, it already conforms to such practices and would be brought in pretty swiftly.

Obviously there are economic issues with EB countries, but there may be other requirements which we conform to at the moment by being part of the union - which when we are a separate country we dont, administrative things that are delt with in england for the whole of the UK but obv wouldnt cover an independent scotland. Its just a thought really, as i dont have any information or examples to back it up, but i would be surprised if we were able to slide back into the EU so quickly.

As for the second point... well, that's the bigger stumbling block.

I feel as though I've been more pragmatic than normal about this issue in this topic and XBL's presence has me worried I might say something that will completely undermine what I believe :ph34r:

We better have a referendum before we decide to join the EU.

Aye, so says the great book britannia. Your have been brainwashed or should that be britwashed.

:rolleyes: This picture has never been more appropriate...

2048486298_2a6444b4c2.jpg

So your saying the suppression of women, the existence of slavery in the British empire and the union of crowns coming in place due to debt-reduction is all a lie...right. :huh:

We would be better off in an independent Scotland both culturally and financially. We can't really lose and I'm all for it.

Will definitely happen in the next 25 years. Support for Labour is in long-term decline. And the Tories aren't exactly going to come back.

We would be better off in an independent Scotland both culturally and financially. We can't really lose and I'm all for it.

Will definitely happen in the next 25 years. Support for Labour is in long-term decline. And the Tories aren't exactly going to come back.

:huh: Oh aye! Haud me back.

We should stop believing in the fairytale that Scotland will wake up a day after independence and become richer. It won't. We'd have to work bloody hard to restructure our society with state responsibility. I personally believe in smaller states where my voice is more likely to be represented in politics, and I also believe that the mythical identity of 'Scotland' - if such a entity exists - needs a kick up the arse instead of being a glut of public sector shite and not much else.

Only independence, for me, would see to that.

Because most people don't see England and Scotland as 'them and us'. Most people class themselves as at least partly British, i.e. we are all the same.

Couldn't have put it any better

Aye, so says the great book britannia. You have been brainwashed or should that be britwashed.

:lol:

Big eck would be proud of that. Why do you and all nationalists have such a big chip on your shoulder ? The bitterness of some folk is astounding.

Couldn't have put it any better

:lol:

Big eck would be proud of that. Why do you and all nationalists have such a big chip on your shoulder ? The bitterness of some folk is astounding.

Warning, lazy Unionist stereotype in operation!

Archived