Scots Independence Referendum

Guest RTB

Scots Independence  

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you start a sentence beginning with 'generally' you're f*cked.

Not really. The general trend in the west is toward integration, not seperation. You will find the odd exception, and its happening at different paces in different places, but all the same, the general trend is heading towards more integration and more globalisation.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not at all. I'm proud to be Scottish. Every bit as I am proud to be British.

What I don't comprehend, is why I have to be in favour of Independence simply because I was born and grow up in Scotland, and that, by the same token, if I am against Independence, I am automatically anti-Scottish or ashamed of Scottish heritage.

You at least answer some things in an honest way though i will never agree with your unionist stance. Sadly others have the hate thy self jocko attitude.

Aye, the lack of industry within your great UK utopia. Thatcher/Blair/Brown - Tory/Nu Labor

The Union of the Crowns happened some time before the Act of Union was forced undemocratically upon the citizens of Scotland. :rolleyes:

However, in every democratic election Scotland has ever seen, the majority of voters have voted for parties whos policy is to remain in the Union.

Aye, the lack of industry within your great UK utopia. Thatcher/Blair/Brown - Tory/Nu Labor

The Union of the Crowns happened some time before the Act of Union was forced undemocratically upon the citizens of Scotland. :rolleyes:

We went into the union because the idiot government of the time bankrupted us. Nothing was forced, it was voluntary. If it was forced upon us, why do we retain a separate legal system amongst other things?

Anyone who actually believes it was forced on Scotland is quite frankly, a moron.

That's because democracy in the modern sense didn't exist at the time. Should the Gaels have their land back, or maybe the Picts? That wasn't democratic now was it?

I dont know, I think you might see a significant movement - bear in mind the new reppublic of scotland would not immediately be in the EU or the EEC and I would guess be effectively removed from any trade agreements set up whilst part of the UK - I'm not implying these things wouldnt get set up but they would take time and some major companies would probably relocate down south.

Anything like that would be very short term. I should point out that there is no guarantee that an independent Scotland would be a Republic, and that the only major pro-Independence party has made it clear that they would join the European Union as soon as possible. I somewhat doubt that for that short term of maybe a year at most (they'd have agreed a framework with the EU in advance if they had half a brain between them for a smooth transfer) that businesses would see sense in potentially expensive moving of headquarters elsewhere. If anything, the lack of trade red tape would probably attract businesses in the VERY short term.

And I say this as a Unionist ;)

FOR.

And after a quick scan of the thread its lovely to see the unionists using all their worn out stereotypes. :)

Whilst the nationalists use their worn out nonsense of Scotland being "forced" into the union in the first place :)

By the way:

Yes to Independence

Yes to The EU

Yes to more immigration

Yes to the Euro currency

No to nuclear weapons

Whilst the nationalists use their worn out nonsense of Scotland being "forced" into the union in the first place smile.gif

Some do, but there are many who don't. In the pro-independence camp (not nationalist!), we condemn those who resort to the lazy crap braveheart anti Englishness, even though they be few. Meanwhile, in the unionist camp, the slavering anti Scots are encouraged by their more sensible unionist brethren.

Sadly others have the hate thy self jocko attitude.

Im not sure why you think this, most folk i know are both proud to be scottish and happy to be in the union - I dont know anyone actually who hates 'being scottish' both pro and anti independence.

By the way:

Yes to Independence

Yes to The EU

Yes to more immigration

Yes to the Euro currency

No to nuclear weapons

To sum up my views:

No to Independence

Like the principle of the EU, but not the way it operates

Yes to more immigration (principally)

No to the Euro currency

Yes to nuclear weapons

There that's much simpler.

Everything was forced on the citizens of Scotland at that time though. The only folk with a vote were the landed gentry and the clergy and a few others. Peasants like yourself had no say in anything.

If your clan chief told you to go and fight then you had to go and fight or be turfed off your croft :lol: But everything was so much better back then wasn't it :blink:

Anything like that would be very short term. I should point out that there is no guarantee that an independent Scotland would be a Republic, and that the only major pro-Independence party has made it clear that they would join the European Union as soon as possible. I somewhat doubt that for that short term of maybe a year at most (they'd have agreed a framework with the EU in advance if they had half a brain between them for a smooth transfer) that businesses would see sense in potentially expensive moving of headquarters elsewhere. If anything, the lack of trade red tape would probably attract businesses in the VERY short term.

And I say this as a Unionist ;)

As I see it there are 2 problems in what you say,

1 - you say it would be short term but there are many countries in the eastern block who have been waiting for years to get full member status - now i know we are not in the same situation but equally i dont think it would be as quick as you might suggest.

2 - 'if they had half a brain between them' ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: You really are clueless right!

So your blaming Thatcher for something that was inevitable. We live in a world now where globalization is impossible to avoid and it naturally hits trade. People were buying coal at cheaper prices than it was for sale here. I know that she was a bint for causing harm to the livelyhood of so many but she recognized that British industries were on their last legs. You can't blame her for people buying elsewhere.

As for the Act of the union, we needed it. Scotland had a horrific debt run up by over-indulgence. James merely used his initiative to burden the debt on the rest of England and Wales too. As for democratic thinking, that when you know you are talking pish. We're looking at 1707...not 2007. Most common men and women didn't have the vote. Indeed, normal women had little influence in day to day life. We still had slavery present within our empire and Britain. So to think the people would be consulted on this is lunacy. Most people saw it as another treaty and didn't care less. :rolleyes:

I dont know, I think you might see a significant movement - bear in mind the 'new republic of scotland' would not immediately be in the EU or the EEC and I would guess be effectively removed from any trade agreements set up whilst part of the UK - I'm not implying these things wouldnt get set up but they would take time and some major companies would probably relocate down south.

...and with Scotland becoming an independent country the UK would no longer exist. Thus meaning England would not immediately be in the EU or EEC. It does work both ways though i don't see this as a problem for either country.

...and with Scotland becoming an independent country the UK would no longer exist. Thus meaning England would not immediately be in the EU or EEC. It does work both ways though i don't see this as a problem for either country.

the UK would still exist it just wouldnt include scotland! :lol:

eta: actually even if it ceased to exist and therefor england wales and NI are no longer in the EU and EEC - how does that make the situation i described any better? 'we're in trouble, but dont wory. we've made sure everyone else is too!'

Archived