Scots Independence Referendum

Guest RTB

Scots Independence  

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
International law regarding oil field ownership? You've been pretty wide of the mark!

To an extent, yes.

But since not all of the Oil sources currently in UK waters, and refinery and extraction crosses borders, there would be complications in defining exactly how much oil was extracted from which country's wells or resources.

England, Northern Ireland and Wales having a valid claim to equal ownership of an independant Scotland's oil resources.

I never said it was equal ownership. Just an equally valid claim to ownership. Not the same thing. Given that UK investment has helped to establish the Oil Industry in Scottish Waters, I would suggest that at they do at least have a claim to some of the proceeds even if Scotland became independent.

I never said it was equal ownership. Just an equally valid claim to ownership. Not the same thing. Given that UK investment has helped to establish the Oil Industry in Scottish Waters, I would suggest that at they do at least have a claim to some of the proceeds even if Scotland became independent.

You said it was the UK's oil as much as it was Scotland's oil. That seems pretty clear to me.

Surely UK investment has helped to establish almost every industry in Britain. Do you think an independant Scotland should be able to cliam a slice of every industry in England, NI, Wales after independance? Seeing as we only make up 8% of the UK population, that would mean we'd get shitloads of money. A great economic case for independance.

You said it was the UK's oil as much as it was Scotland's oil. That seems pretty clear to me.

Surely UK investment has helped to establish almost every industry in Britain. Do you think an independant Scotland should be able to cliam a slice of every industry in England, NI, Wales after independance? Seeing as we only make up 8% of the UK population, that would mean we'd get shitloads of money. A great economic case for independance.

Only a slice relative to its investment. Monies from UK governments, with taxpayers' money from all of the UK has been essential to the growth of the Oil Industry in Scotland. It is safe to say that overall, taxpayers of other UK territories than Scotland have contributed more towards the Oil industry than Scottish taxpayers have paid towards other industries. To that end, they are entitled to an appropriate cut.

Only a slice relative to its investment. Monies from UK governments, with taxpayers' money from all of the UK has been essential to the growth of the Oil Industry in Scotland. It is safe to say that overall, taxpayers of other UK territories than Scotland have contributed more towards the Oil industry than Scottish taxpayers have paid towards other industries. To that end, they are entitled to an appropriate cut.

on the same note we would be entitled to a share of the oil and gas fields off yarmouth/hull and blackpool

on the same note we would be entitled to a share of the oil and gas fields off yarmouth/hull and blackpool

We would if our taxes had contributed towards a greater share of the infrastructure of UK oil extraction than the rest of the UK's taxpayers. I'd suggest that isn't the case.

We would if our taxes had contributed towards a greater share of the infrastructure of UK oil extraction than the rest of the UK's taxpayers. I'd suggest that isn't the case.

Does a similar arrangement exist between the ex-Soviet Union or the former Czechaslovakia or former Yugoslavia?

How much of a thread can one read before they get seriously pissed off with the inability of many folk to spell "independent" and all its variants with three e's?

:lol:

Indeed.

I hope I haven't tripped up

:ph34r:

If it doesn't, it should ;)

Fairness over Self-Interest.

If it doesn't then there's no reason to suggest it would happen with the UK. Therefore Scotland would keep all revenue from oil in Scottish waters. A financial upside of independence. No?

If it doesn't then there's no reason to suggest it would happen with the UK. Therefore Scotland would keep all revenue from oil in Scottish waters. A financial upside of independence. No?

Yes it would be, but can't this re-allocation be done through the Union? For example, could we not adjust the aforementioned Barnet formula to account for this?

The economic benefit can be achieved without Independence. Therefore it remains unnecessary.

Yes it would be, but can't this re-allocation be done through the Union? For example, could we not adjust the aforementioned Barnet formula to account for this?

The economic benefit can be achieved without Independence. Therefore it remains unnecessary.

regardless of the economic benefit and how it could be achieved, if the majority of scots want an idependent Scotland then it WILL happen!! i feel this wont be to long in comin

u can just take the huff and not get a Scottish passport, suits me just fine :D

Archived