Band Of Brothers

McMuffin

I read the book by Stephen E Ambrose years ago, genuinely interesting. Goes in to more detail about what happened to the guys after the war. The one that sticks in the memory is Sobel (played by David Schwimmer). He committed suicide in the early 1950s. 

Ambrose's books are all excellent.

Enjoying the podcast so far, there's 3 episodes available.

Prologue - with Tom Hanks

Episode 1 - Currahee with Ron Livingston (Nixon)

Episode 2 - Day of Days with Episode writer John Orloff and director Richard Loncraine.

Episode 3 next week is Carentan with Matthew Settle (Speirs)

The one that sticks in the memory is Sobel (played by David Schwimmer). He committed suicide in the early 1950s. 
Ambrose's books are all excellent.

From memory he tried to commit suicide but survived and died later in life? I think he was also the only company member who had none of the others attend any memorial service?

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/09/2021 at 20:40, peasy23 said:

Enjoying the podcast so far, there's 3 episodes available.

Prologue - with Tom Hanks

Episode 1 - Currahee with Ron Livingston (Nixon)

Episode 2 - Day of Days with Episode writer John Orloff and director Richard Loncraine.

Episode 3 next week is Carentan with Matthew Settle (Speirs)

Just getting round to listening to this and whilst good the presenters fawning makes it a bit of a difficult listen at times. I love the show as well but the brown nosing the boy constantly does is a bit much.

5 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Just getting round to listening to this and whilst good the presenters fawning makes it a bit of a difficult listen at times. I love the show as well but the brown nosing the boy constantly does is a bit much.

Aye, he's a bit ott, but I can tune him out tbf although I can understand other folk might not be able to.

It took me a few episodes to get into the podcast because of the presenter but he's clearly a fan of the show and I've warmed to his enthusiasm.

Really enjoyed the episode with Frank John Hughes, the part where he's talking about digging fox holes was brilliant.

I was luck enough to visit the Eagles nest recently, it was really cool to walk in the footsteps of Easy Company.

3 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

It took me a few episodes to get into the podcast because of the presenter but he's clearly a fan of the show and I've warmed to his enthusiasm.

Really enjoyed the episode with Frank John Hughes, the part where he's talking about digging fox holes was brilliant.

I was luck enough to visit the Eagles nest recently, it was really cool to walk in the footsteps of Easy Company.

Yeah that was a good episode. Listened to that one, the Hanks one and the Ron Livingstone one so far. Started the episode 2 one and even the writer he was introducing sounded a bit embarrassed about the guys fawning introduction.

Dont get me wrong it's not going to stop me listening to the rest of them eventually but man it's hard not to be rolling my eyes every few minutes. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I had no idea that Shane Taylor who played Doc Roe was English until the latest episode of the podcast.

Aye, I'm sure I read it a while back but don't think I've ever seen him in anything besides Band of Brothers so was the first time I'd heard his real accent too.

After watching these I've  been recommended quite a few random Band of Brothers related videos on youtube. Seems most of the American cast have done a reasonable job of keeping in touch with each other and remain close. Much more so than the majority of the Brits in the cast.

Speirs being born in Edinburgh before his family emigrated to the states a few years later was pretty interesting to read too.

• 3 weeks later...

Listened to Episode 8 yesterday, The Last Patrol with Scott Grimes (Mullarkey). Another excellent listen. Interesting to hear that the real Mullarkey didn't really want to talk about his experiences, but eventually being involved in the production proved to be a cathartic experience for him.

On 03/11/2021 at 02:56, peasy23 said:

Listened to Episode 8 yesterday, The Last Patrol with Scott Grimes (Mullarkey). Another excellent listen. Interesting to hear that the real Mullarkey didn't really want to talk about his experiences, but eventually being involved in the production proved to be a cathartic experience for him.

I think that is true for a lot of guys in the war. My dad often talks about his dad, who fought in North Africa. All he ever told were funny stories about the war, but never really talked about it.

• 2 years later...

That’s the first two episodes of the Air Force “follow up” series Masters of the Air up on Apple TV+ now.

Seems the Pacific didn’t get the ratings that Band of Brothers did so HBO passed on the new series so Hanks and Spielberg went to Apple.

On 26/01/2024 at 23:14, Rodhull said:

That’s the first two episodes of the Air Force “follow up” series Masters of the Air up on Apple TV+ now.

Seems the Pacific didn’t get the ratings that Band of Brothers did so HBO passed on the new series so Hanks and Spielberg went to Apple.

It wasn't a ratings issue. HBO had been developing the series for years. It boiled down to money and when the time came they didn't want to pony up the budget. The Pacfic ballooned over budget. With all the CGI required to make this work on top traditional production costs there were concerns.

I've liked it well enough so far. Main problem i've encountered is a don't like some of the actors or am just too familiar with them which makes their protrayal more forced compared to the previous shows.