Band Of Brothers

McMuffin

• 2 years later...

Bump

8 Episodes in and the series is right up there with the best programs i've ever seen. Production is incredible and the cast is great. Not just the action of war but the emotional stories behind it. The real veterans talking before each episode makes it all the more real. Gutted i'm almost finished it to be honest.

10/10

Bump

8 Episodes in and the series is right up there with the best programs i've ever seen. Production is incredible and the cast is great. Not just the action of war but the emotional stories behind it. The real veterans talking before each episode makes it all the more real. Gutted i'm almost finished it to be honest.

10/10

Couldn't agree more, absolutely fantastic television. I've watched the boxset a good 4 or 5 times over the years but nothing beats the first time you see it, has your emotions all over the place. Soak it in Presters thats all id say!

Bump

10/10

It is, as has been said above, (imo) the greatest piece of television ever.

It's fantastically well written, doesn't pull any punches and is full of likeable characters. Damien Lewis is superb as Captain Dick Winters, a true leader of men.

f**k it, I'm going to watch this again over Christmas. Currahee!!!!!

It is, as has been said above, (imo) the greatest piece of television ever.

It's fantastically well written, doesn't pull any punches and is full of likeable characters. Damien Lewis is superb as Captain Dick Winters, a true leader of men.

f**k it, I'm going to watch this again over Christmas. Currahee!!!!!

Same. :)

Fucking love it

I haven't watched it since it first aired but I remember it being very good. My only complaint with it at the time was it made the British soldiers out to be pretty useless.

thats because the british were such crap soldiers.the germans could have wiped them out anytime they pleased in the almost 2 and a half years it took the yanks to get involved in the fight against fascism(though it was actually the germans who declared war on them),they just couldnt be arsed.thankfully the americans then came along and showed us how to do it.nice of them

The most tears I shed was actually a quote from Winters after the final episode. Something along the lines of "My grandson asked me, "Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?" and I replied "No. But I fought with a band of heroes."" Seemed like such a great guy and very modest considering his actions.

Excellent box-set and easily one of my favourites, never tire of watching it, although once you start you have to watch them all!

For me, one of the most touching scenes is when the German general is giving a speech to the men after they've been captured by the Allies, and Liebgott translates it as it's being made:

"Men, it's been a long war, it's been a tough war. You've fought bravely, proudly for your country. You're a special group. You've found in one another a bond, that exists only in combat, among brothers. You've shared foxholes, held each other in dire moments. You've seen death and suffered together. I'm proud to have served with each and every one of you. You all deserve long and happy lives in peace."

• 5 months later...

Re-watched this from Saturday to Monday. I had forgotten how good it is and how many recognisable faces there are (Michael Fassbender had more screen time than I remembered, and Tom Hardy actually had lines). The performances are excellent and you genuinely care about the characters (obviously the benefit of being based on real events and people), certainly more so than in any other TV series.

Bastogne is my favourite episode and almost certainly in my top three episodes of all TV shows. There's not a weak episode (3 episodes make my top 10 episodes of all time) and the last half-hour of Why We Fight is the most harrowing and powerful half-hour of any TV series. I still found the concluding interviews quite moving, particularly Dick Winters's "I served in a company of heroes" line.

In the time of The Wire, Breaking Bad, and The Sopranos; Band Of Brothers has become very underrated IMO.

Edit: I had totally forgotten about U.S. talkshow host Jimmy Fallon making a brief appearance in Crossroads.

Edited by yoda

• 11 months later...

Been years since I watched it but I recently got a Band of Brothers/The Pacific Blu-Ray double pack for only £26, so can't wait to get stuck in again when I have time. I thought The Pacific was pretty good, obviously nowhere near the same level but still decent enough in it's own right.

Edited by Cityfan