Worst Town/area In Scotland

MTJ

Can't agree with the comments about Law. I lived there for 8 years - hence the reason Stu had actually heard of the place. It went from being a quiet close community to being an rural suburb in that time. New houses were being built all the time and some of the views of the Clyde Valley are absolutely spectacular. There were some bizarre stories about South Lanarkshire Council and their policies for the village though. For example the rail junction there has consent to be used as a railway station.....but only for cattle.... :huh: The other highlight was when they brought a space age public toilet to the village. Totally out of place. FFS this was the village where they still talked about "Electric" houses as though it was something out of the ordinary.

Same goes for Lanark actually. The drive along the Clyde Valley makes it for me, but even coming through the Carluke side means you've got some amazing views from around the Cartland Bridge Hotel. Round at the New Lanark side as well it's like a beautiful wee oasis. The centre of Lanark is poor - a bit like Largs or Ayr town centre, but then that's the case for most of the wee town centres. Agree with the comments about the residents there though.

How someone from East Kilbride can slag anyone off is beyond me though. That town is marginally better designed than Paisley, but oh my god the place is a shite hole on an Easterhouse scale. Tens of thousands of people live there, but they've got to travel to the town centre for any amenities and the town centre is filled with 14 year old single mothers wandering around aimlessly with their prams and the Village - which is supposed to be the pride of the town - only has one decent thing in it. The chippy next to the Montgomery Arms.

And Briech - totally agree....why does that place have a train station? :huh:

Edited by Stuart Dickson

:angry: you missed out murderers.

I find Erskine, East Kilbride and the like depressing. roundabouts galore and places solely built for the car.

The vast swathes of the east end of glasgow is pretty grim apart from a few wee bits of dennistoun maybe.

Saying that Bearsden looks the kind of place you might like, but strangely hasn't got a decent pub in the place, so it's possible to pick holes in everything.

Lived and worked in the east for a few years, i saw that places like plean got namechecked, no surprise, but I found Alva pretty grim and there's wee places like Coalsnaughton that you see and think thank fck I gre up in Paisley.

As for Paisley, having a walk about up in Oakshaw on a nice day is superb, great architecture and the view from up there is great.

I stayed in East Kilbride when i was 15 and hated it.

but I found Alva pretty grim and there's wee places like Coalsnaughton that you see and think thank fck I gre up in Paisley.

Yep, well Alva is one of the hill(billy)foots villages so say no more. There really is no need for Coalsnaughton to exist. Its like the arse end of Clackmannanshire that somebody forgot to wipe.

Yep, well Alva is one of the hill(billy)foots villages so say no more. There really is no need for Coalsnaughton to exist. Its like the arse end of Clackmannanshire that somebody forgot to wipe.

Sauchie and Fishcross are particularly gruesome.

Sauchie and Fishcross are particularly gruesome.

I cant really slag Sauchie because I know a lot of people from there. Fishcross on the other hand I think doesnt really exist. You leave Sauchie, accelerate, blink and you're out and facing the lovely Ochills.

I cant really slag Sauchie because I know a lot of people from there. Fishcross on the other hand I think doesnt really exist. You leave Sauchie, accelerate, blink and you're out and facing the lovely Ochills.

The thing that always puzzles me is that on the way to Tillicoultry you pass through a place called "Devon Village". The name seems so out of place with everywhere else in Central Scotland :lol:

The thing that always puzzles me is that on the way to Tillicoultry you pass through a place called "Devon Village". The name seems so out of place with everywhere else in Central Scotland :lol:

Never mind blinking, you could pass that place with your eyes fully open and not see it. I suppose factually its fair enough. Its a village and the Devon runs past it. But yeah, I suppose the name suggests more than it really is.

Whereas Yetts o' Muckart. What the f**k is that all about?

Paisley isn't the worst place by any means but anytime i'm there i always run into someone i know from years back whos life is falling apart at the seams. That's more depressing than anything.

Lanarkshire is a weird place in general. My pals dads 'claim to fame' is that he's had a shite in every pub in Wishaw. Is that typical of local ambitions? Viewpark must be a contender in this thread too.

What's so different about Lanarkshire compared to the rest of Scotland? I mean I know it has it's shitholes but so does every other county. Larkhall is strange though(slightly condridicting myself :lol: ) as the bottom end of the town is lovely, possibly one of the nicer places in Lanarkshire as a whole, either new builds or old miners houses, then you get to the top end, possibly one of the worst areas in Lanarkshire as a whole, which is full of grotty wee neds, tonic wine and dug shite.

Ayrshire is getting a bad name here. Mainly due to the shitty wee villages it has. But it is one of the more opulant counties actually. It's coast runs from Ballantrae in the south to Skelmorlie in the north. Girvan is pish. But then you have Turnberry and Maidens which are extremely expensive areas to live. Then Ayr, which has a bit of a schemie section north of the river, but most of the areas in the town are wealthy. And Prestwick, Troon etc are wealthy areas too. Irvine is horrible and round the cost 'til West Kilbride its rough. West Kilbride right up 'til Skelmorlie is wealthy too. It's mostly the inland shitty villages which are poor.

And most of the villages have some redeeming features. Apart from the old mining areas which are hellholes. But thats mostly because they shipped in big dafties from Lanarkshire to work in the mines and they dragged the area right down. <_<

Girvan, Kilwinning, pretty much all of Ayrshire. Have to agree with the guy saying Port Glasgow's a dump although it's nothing on some parts of Ayrshire and Lanarkshire.

I've only ever seen it while driving through so it's hard to qualify this but for me Moodiesburn is an utterly soul destroying place. I don't know what it is about it but just passing through makes me want to commit suicide.

Kilwinning aint so bad now, a shitehole in terms of shopping etc but most of the schemes aint too bad now.

Well apart from the two children that set that house on fire and murdered that woman :rolleyes:

I live in Scotlandwell which is just two minutes from Fife actually :P There are alot of places in fife you mentioned that i had forgot about but still most of the ones you mentioned are little villages.

Having Dunfermline and Kirkcaldy considered as nice parts of the kingdom says it all really. :P

:P We've got a caravan park (chalet park now) across the road from Smeaton (dodgy council estate) so somebody must like the place.

Fife has loads of nice places along the coast. As you leave Aberdour for Burntisland, you get some great views across the Forth. If I ever come into a suitable amount of money, i'm buying one of the houses down by the sea at Aberdour (don't know what the present owners will think of that).

Question for the Ayrshire folk on here, what is Irvine like these days?

People give it stick because it's a new town and lacks any soul but it's not too bad tbh. Like every town, it has it's bad areas and its good areas. Sure, the town centre is a bit of a dump but the amount of shops for the size of the town (Pop 35,000) is unbeliavable. You also get folk moaning about the amount of junkies running around but name me a town that doesn't have junkies? The only problem I find with Irvine is the lack of things to do at night. No cinemas, bowling alleys... there isn't really anything except shopping or drinking.

It is probably because of the smaller towns it has that it gets a bad reputation.

Ballingary

Leslie

Cowdenbeath

Methil

Oakley

Kelty

Glenrothes

Lochgelly

To name but a few. Some parts of Fife are nice like Anstruther, but on the whole it is an absolute shitehole.

I was out for a run in the car once and saw a sign for High Valleyfield. My dad had told me previously that it has a reputation for being one of Scotland's worst towns, so needless to say I went and had a mince round. I didn't think it was that bad, although the two young guys lurking outside the social club looked as if they were debating whether or not to kill me and loot my corpse.

I find Erskine, East Kilbride and the like depressing. roundabouts galore and places solely built for the car.

I learned to drive in Erskine. There is one roundabout where you come to the end of a road and your only option is to turn into another. So why not just put in a corner :blink:

From Google Map it looks to be where Florish Road meets Torran Drive if anyone wants to see what I mean.

Having spent two years living in Drongan and going to school in Auchinleck some of those old Ayrshire mining villages are grim (not saying the Fife ones are any better though) - Glespin has to be one of the worst though.

Have to agree with Glespin, a DUMP. They have speed bumps an warning lamps to slow you down, dont fall for them, they want to catch you and eat you. Speed up. Speed up, even if it involves Knocking a few of their mutant weans down.

I learned to drive in Erskine. There is one roundabout where you come to the end of a road and your only option is to turn into another. So why not just put in a corner :blink:

From Google Map it looks to be where Florish Road meets Torran Drive if anyone wants to see what I mean.

I think its in Alloa where there's two or three roundabouts that have been turned into a one way system, the sign for it looks bloody weird, half roundabouts stuck together.