Worst Town/area In Scotland

MTJ

I've got to confess to some surprise at the Rigside vote here guys ,as I've passed it on a number of occasions recently when my cycle route includes Muirkirk and Lanark. Admittedly, I only passed through on its only main street and didn't enter the actual "estate", but I must admit to pedalling through some other hamlets at a greater rate than I felt necessary at Rigside .

As for Owenstown, it would appear to be another tribute to the guy we associate with New Lanark, and therefore, no bad thing . :)

It's already been established that sheer roughness is not the only element here, rigside wins by the sheer desperation living somewhere so shitty, inbred and isolated would induce.

It's already been established that sheer roughness is not the only element here, rigside wins by the sheer desperation living somewhere so shitty, inbred and isolated would induce.

I wasn't aware that I had made any mention of "roughness" though .The thread aks for our opinions, presumably based on first hand experience rather than a glance at a google map, and, in my opinion, there are a number of places that I've actually visited that would qualify for Worst Town / area, way ahead of Rigside .

:)

I've got to confess to some surprise at the Rigside vote here guys ,as I've passed it on a number of occasions recently when my cycle route includes Muirkirk and Lanark. Admittedly, I only passed through on its only main street and didn't enter the actual "estate", but I must admit to pedalling through some other hamlets at a greater rate than I felt necessary at Rigside .

As for Owenstown, it would appear to be another tribute to the guy we associate with New Lanark, and therefore, no bad thing . :)

The drive past Rigside on the main road is amazingly deceptive. Only when you enter the actual scheme do you get the true picture.

It's a bit like thinking you have a nice present because you get a box wrapped in expensive wrapping paper and tied with pretty silk ribbons, but when you open the box there's a big,steaming,hot jobby sitting there. Not the best analogy in the world but it's the best you're going to get 5 minutes before I go to my pit I'm afraid.

The drive past Rigside on the main road is amazingly deceptive. Only when you enter the actual scheme do you get the true picture.

It's a bit like thinking you have a nice present because you get a box wrapped in expensive wrapping paper and tied with pretty silk ribbons, but when you open the box there's a big,steaming,hot jobby sitting there. Not the best analogy in the world but it's the best you're going to get 5 minutes before I go to my pit I'm afraid.

Nothing unique there though, and I can think of a few schemes that are quite a bit worse than Rigside . :)

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind living in a rural area? If you gave me an option of London or Rigside I'd probably go with Rigside!

There are a number of schemes within a 5 mile radius of where I stay and, trust me, if I gave you the option of living in one of them, or Rigside, you would opt for Rigside .

One of those places actually merited a mention on STV news last night due to the repeated arson attacks on some of the properties there and even if we ignore the violence, or "roughness", that goes hand in hand with those attacks, the blackened and deserted buildings don't make for uplifting viewing as you drive past .

:(

I don't think there are too many candidates from the Highlands for this thread, there are plenty of bland towns and villages, but nowhere truly abhorrent

South Kessock (The Ferry) in Inverness is pretty grim, although it is in a fantastic location next to the River Ness, Caledonian Canal and Beauly Firth. Hilton and Dalneigh in Inverness are a bit shite as well, but nowhere near as awful as the Ferry.

Outwith Inverness, the Milnafua area of Alness has a reputation for being a shithole. I have never been as far North as Wick or Thurso, so there are possibly some shit places up that way?

I don't think there are too many candidates from the Highlands for this thread, there are plenty of bland towns and villages, but nowhere truly abhorrent

South Kessock (The Ferry) in Inverness is pretty grim, although it is in a fantastic location next to the River Ness, Caledonian Canal and Beauly Firth. Hilton and Dalneigh in Inverness are a bit shite as well, but nowhere near as awful as the Ferry.

Outwith Inverness, the Milnafua area of Alness has a reputation for being a shithole. I have never been as far North as Wick or Thurso, so there are possibly some shit places up that way?

Thurso is very nice but Wick is grim.

There are a number of schemes within a 5 mile radius of where I stay and, trust me, if I gave you the option of living in one of them, or Rigside, you would opt for Rigside .

One of those places actually merited a mention on STV news last night due to the repeated arson attacks on some of the properties there and even if we ignore the violence, or "roughness", that goes hand in hand with those attacks, the blackened and deserted buildings don't make for uplifting viewing as you drive past .

:(

^^^^^^^

Rigside resident

Has anyone else mentioned Skinflats yet? Ugly little collection of council houses on a floodplain with view of Grangemouth to the southeast and Longannet to the northeast.

Even the name makes it sound like a scab on the arse of Scotland.

Falkirk's former goalkeeper - Darren Hill - injured himself jumping through a plate glass door in Skinflats whilst off his head on a combination of Alcohol, Cocaine and prescription painkillers.

Fort William is a shithole. It's Grangemouth with a better view.

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind living in a rural area? If you gave me an option of London or Rigside I'd probably go with Rigside!

The only person under 45, probably.

For those who blindly think Greenock is a midden i would draw your attention to a couple of pics. There is not a large town in Scotland that finds itself in a better location than Greenock. Sure there are bad parts of town but at least we have some scenery. Yeah i'm talking to you , Paisley, Kilmarnock, Livingston, Motherwell etc etc etc

post-38477-0-30178800-1342737569_thumb.j

For those who blindly think Greenock is a midden i would draw your attention to a couple of pics. There is not a large town in Scotland that finds itself in a better location than Greenock. Sure there are bad parts of town but at least we have some scenery. Yeah i'm talking to you , Paisley, Kilmarnock, Livingston, Motherwell etc etc etc

and another...

post-38477-0-48436500-1342737680_thumb.j

What you generally see as away fans is the Port and a small part of the east end. Greenock ain't no Las Vegas but the fact is it's no where near as bad as people make out. I hear Paisley has a "west end"??? good luck with that you fucking losers.