Worst Town/area In Scotland

MTJ

The village i come from Fallin, is really quite a horrible wee sectarian dive :(

Actually like a lot of the villages around the stirlingshire area, especially Plean which last year had the primary school burned down by a 15 year old ned who was 'bored' .. :lol:

A few parts of Alloa are best avoided, mainly the area known as the Mar Policies/Bottom end which is like a refugee camp for those too scummy for the Jeremy Kyle show.

When my brother was in the navy he lived in Rosyth which i always thought was a particularly bleak, drab , depressing town with absolutely nothing of interest, looks like something out of 1960's communist East Germany

Guest honestrae95

Drongan is a horrible wee dive. Today, of all days, the Northern Irish flags and Union Jacks will be flying at full mast out of the residents windows. In fact, they keep them up all year. Horrible place.

Irvine is another place that i feel the need to cut myself when i ever have the delight to visit. Got a few lovely golf courses outside the town mind you.

The winner would have to be Airdrie, 'nuff said really.:yucky

Edited by honestrae95

The flat roofed bit of your post makes me think you're referring to Mountblow as seen from the train when leaving the interchange station at Dalmuir heading towards Dumbarton. Did it have loads of football pitches in front of the flat roofed houses? If it is the place I'm thinking of then it's part of Clydebank rather than Dumbarton and is home to several of last season's Dumbarton squad and at least one of this season's.

That's the place alright. Bonnie...

post-13234-0-10176800-1342087966_thumb.p

post-13234-0-44593400-1342088024_thumb.p

Motherwell is one of the most aesthetically unappealing places I've been to. Only in and out for the football so I'm sure it isn't as bad as it looks.

I beg to differ!

Just look at our thriving shopping arcade

MotherwellScotland.jpg

Our state of the art train station

Motherwell_railway_station_platforms_1_and_2.jpg

Discotheque

mega-bar-motherwell-700418133.JPG

Beautiful ;)

I was going to say, surely nobody lives there in this day and age, but I have found evidence of life: ohmy.gif

post-13234-0-37493000-1342088336_thumb.p

There's a few still occupied, yes. The houses and streets behind those are set into a really steep hill and some of them are pefectly normal looking houses, well kept lawns and driveways etc. The flat roofed ones are quick, post-war jobs that were thrown up due to the housing crisis at that time, exacerbated, of course, by the fact that there were very few houses remaining undamaged in Clydebank after the war. They were never suitable for long term use and had terrible dampness and water ingress problems. There are similar ones at the far side of Dalmuir by the river Clyde that also have had dampness issues, but they're in better condition and have been re-roofed so as to make them longer lasting rather than getting them ready for demolition like the ones we're discussing. The Mountblow ones will be demolished in the near future and the vast majority of occupants have been moved into alternative council housing already. Clydebank FC had a plan a while back to buy a part of those football pitches (known locally as the "reccy" or recreation) and build a community stadium, but I don't think it ever went as far as being fully submitted for planning or anything. They've got problems enough being miles out of town at their current stadium, without building a new one miles out of town in the opposite direction.

After that Motherwell post, it's impossible not to give Cumbernauld a mention for it's own forward thinking shopping arcade.

post-13234-0-66152300-1342089426_thumb.p

Listed building tae. Sounds like a council ruse so they don't need to pay to demolish the fucker.

One plus point is that the random corridors within would be a cracking location for a 70s zombie movie.

Utterly, utterly shocked that there's been no mention of Bo'ness in this thread that has been running for over 4 years.

Even in the West Lothian area you have loads of places that make Boness look like Monaco. I give you Bridgend, Whitecross, Addiewell, Stoneyburn, Blackridge (hand gun fee zone apparently ), Fauldhouse,Polbeth, parts of Whitburn, Blackburn and Broxburn. Then in Livi you have Dedridge, Knightsridge and Craigshill.

Utterly, utterly shocked that there's been no mention of Bo'ness in this thread that has been running for over 4 years.

Even in the West Lothian area you have loads of places that make Boness look like Monaco. I give you Bridgend, Whitecross, Addiewell, Stoneyburn, Blackridge (hand gun fee zone apparently ), Fauldhouse,Polbeth, parts of Whitburn, Blackburn and Broxburn. Then in Livi you have Dedridge, Knightsridge and Craigshill.

FuzzyBear is bang on. Bo'ness is nowhere near a contender for the worst place in Scotland. TBR's post is just another case of somebody voting for the place just down the road.

Thing is when it comes to places like Possil at least they're being renovated and modernised to an extent whereas these central mining towns in Fife etc are just going to be left for eternity by the looks of things.

FuzzyBear is bang on. Bo'ness is nowhere near a contender for the worst place in Scotland. TBR's post is just another case of somebody voting for the place just down the road.

Its deeper rooted than that.

There's bitter rivalry between Boness & Linlithgow

Hence the associated social problems creating neds and minks throughout them. There's a few from Fife which you can add to the description above; High Valleyfield, Oakley, Lochgelly, Cardenden, Methil etc.

Anywhere there has been some sort of industry requiring bodies to operate factories or whatever will have the same problem when production ceases. These places sprung up off the back of people needing to live near where they worked, when the work stopped they remained.

It might actually be worth our while howking coal again as coal use has increased massively in the EU in the past couple of years and they are importing a lot of it from the US where their use of coal has fallen sharply since they discovered shale gas. As shale gas is a big no no in these parts then coal will become viable again as gas and oil gets dearer and dearer. Theres enough coal in the Ayrshire coalfield alone to last another 300 years. Whether the greenies would let us use it or not or whether the HSE would let us dig it out is another story of course.

I think we cycled through some serious contenders for this title on Sunday.

Ballingry,Lochore,Crosshill,Lochgelly,Cowdenbeath.

Its the first time half the fuckers there had seen wheels!

All part of what I refer to as The Ring of Despair:

post-13234-0-68125000-1342093651_thumb.p

X marks the bombing spot which will also blow out a huge crater which will double as a giant open-cast coal mine to help any redevelopment. This can later be flooded to increase the size of Loch Ore which can then get a marina and have enough space for some luxury yachts.

Edited by Hedgecutter