Worst Town/area In Scotland

MTJ

Coatbridge is by far the biggest shithole on Scotland. I've been there no more than 3 times and had Fireworks thrown at me, seen 2 boys chased across a bunch of pitches with games on by a group of about 20 boys with knives onto a Railway, been started on twice and left once with an eye that looked like i had just went 3 rounds with Tyson.

Hellhole!

Theres been one or two places mentioned here that aren't that bad. The nicer places come as you get further North and into the Highlands.

I think there is a lot more than one or two. For example people come down hard on Tayside a lot but I don't think it's that bad. I don't know if I'm romanticising due to my childhood, but there's a lot to offer. Monikie, Camperdown, The House Of Dun, Montrose Basin, The railway path via St Vigeans (long time), Lunan Bay, Auchmithie, it goes on...

I've not read the whole thread so apologies if it's been done.

One of the areas of Scotland I'd least like to stay in is right next to one I'd most like to stay in.

Leven/Methil and the East Neuk respectively.

• 2 years later...

I haVe lived in east kilbride all my life, first 5 yEars of ma life in calderwood and for 9 year greenhills. It gets a bad name , worst Place in eastkilbride apparently but its really not . Yes alot of the girls are slags and the guys neds . Yes u see 13 years old out drinken and smoken . Nearly everyone by the age of 15 isnt a virgin, Theres alot of bullyen goes on . And 40% of the people u pass are stoned out there nut.

Its quite dodgy But to be quite honest so is Everywere at 10 oclock on a saterday night , it just so happens theres alot of underage drinking in greenhills. So alot of the time it ends up in fights.

I can say as a 14 year old girl (who live in greenhills) ive tryed smoking once, never drunk, never had sex and only been in 2 physical fights , one after a girl bullyed me for a year and id finally had enof when she grabbed ma arm and kept pullen me back from walken and another fight was with the same girl when she was drunk and she jumped out from a underpass with her big brother ( who was 2 years older (16) )hit me with a bottle and i managed to gight them off.

Tho the education is shit , if ur looking for somewere to go and haven to be tuff or u get beet up ,to act stupid or ur a geek , to have bleech blonde hair and an orange face or get made fun of every day .

U want an education dont go to duncanrig!

Theres not loads if murders , there has been a couple tho .

Ma older friend was murdered at the age if 15 by his classmate , stabbed 14 times in the chest and his throat slit and left to die ???? all because he was GAY!

And hardly any rapes.

But what im tryen to say is theres good and bad people evrywere , even in ruff areas ❤

Mid 80's Whitfield in Dundee was utterly horrific. Dundee has improved a bit since then mind you.

Worst place i've seen/driven through (quickly) was probably Port Glasgow. Other places worthy of a mention:

Brechin

Arbroath

A dodgy scheme in Blantyre

London Road, Glasgow

I came on here to add Blantyre altogether.

Were you in Springwell/Coatshill/High Blantyre(Jerusalem)/or Logan St?

I've always been of the opinion that Blantyre is the arsehole of The Earth.

Motherwell is one of the most aesthetically unappealing places I've been to. Only in and out for the football so I'm sure it isn't as bad as it looks.

Cowdenbeath never seems appealing.

Edited by JamboMikey

I haVe lived in east kilbride all my life, first 5 yEars of ma life in calderwood and for 9 year greenhills. It gets a bad name , worst Place in eastkilbride apparently but its really not . Yes alot of the girls are slags and the guys neds . Yes u see 13 years old out drinken and smoken . Nearly everyone by the age of 15 isnt a virgin, Theres alot of bullyen goes on . And 40% of the people u pass are stoned out there nut.

Its quite dodgy But to be quite honest so is Everywere at 10 oclock on a saterday night , it just so happens theres alot of underage drinking in greenhills. So alot of the time it ends up in fights.

I can say as a 14 year old girl (who live in greenhills) ive tryed smoking once, never drunk, never had sex and only been in 2 physical fights , one after a girl bullyed me for a year and id finally had enof when she grabbed ma arm and kept pullen me back from walken and another fight was with the same girl when she was drunk and she jumped out from a underpass with her big brother ( who was 2 years older (16) )hit me with a bottle and i managed to gight them off.

Tho the education is shit , if ur looking for somewere to go and haven to be tuff or u get beet up ,to act stupid or ur a geek , to have bleech blonde hair and an orange face or get made fun of every day .

U want an education dont go to duncanrig!

Theres not loads if murders , there has been a couple tho .

Ma older friend was murdered at the age if 15 by his classmate , stabbed 14 times in the chest and his throat slit and left to die ???? all because he was GAY!

And hardly any rapes.

But what im tryen to say is theres good and bad people evrywere , even in ruff areas ❤

At least you can spell though eh.

Just out of interest, what's the name of the place which you can see from the train just on the north side Dumbarton line which has an entire derelict (?!) estate full of flat-roofed flats with MDF for windows rather than glass? I noticed a few buildings which weren't boarded up - do people actually live there???

I'm noticing that the Angus towns are getting a bad press but they're nowhere as bad as areas of Glasgow, parts of Ayrshire and parts of Central Fife - basically mining towns that were devestated by the pit closures. The general story I'm seeing from this thread are that some people need to get out a bit more and see some more shitholes which aren't on the SFL tour. A grand tour of Junior Football grounds will soon change your mind.

Here's a late entry for the old 'Name That Toon' thread - It's not the worst place I can think of but it's one of the most depressing (all pictures same place):

Main St:

post-13234-0-61304000-1342080748_thumb.p

post-13234-0-66748900-1342080758_thumb.p

The residential bit

post-13234-0-94515500-1342080782_thumb.p

New Cumnock

Edited by Hedgecutter

Just out of interest, what's the name of the place which you can see from the train just on the north side Dumbarton line which has an entire derelict (?!) estate full of flat-roofed flats with MDF for windows rather than glass? I noticed a few buildings which weren't boarded up - do people actually live there???

I'm noticing that the Angus towns are getting a bad press but they're nowhere as bad as areas of Glasgow, parts of Ayrshire and parts of Central Fife - basically mining towns that were devestated by the pit closures. The general story I'm seeing from this thread are that some people need to get out a bit more and see some more shitholes which aren't on the SFL tour. A grand tour of Junior Football grounds will soon change your mind.

Here's a late entry for the old 'Name That Toon' thread - It's not the worst place I can think of but it's one of the most depressing (all pictures same place):

Main St:

The residential bit

New Cumnock

The problem with the shithole mining villages is that they didn't bulldoze them along with the mines and pits when they closed. That was always what used to happen. There are several places in Ayrshire where there used to be villages that sprung up around where the work was and then closed when the work stopped. The pwoers that be, in their wisdom, planted loads of council estates in these wee villages to accommodate mine workers in the belief that howking coal would never stop. Now they are left with huge swathes of housing stock they cant afford to look after, thousands of people that drank theirgenerous redundancy packages in the first six months and refuse to go and look for work assuming that the work will fall into their lap.

Main St:

The residential bit

New Cumnock

It's alternative name " Afton Water " sound quite nice.

What a fuc*in dissy when you get there :lol:

The problem with the shithole mining villages is that they didn't bulldoze them along with the mines and pits when they closed. That was always what used to happen. There are several places in Ayrshire where there used to be villages that sprung up around where the work was and then closed when the work stopped. The pwoers that be, in their wisdom, planted loads of council estates in these wee villages to accommodate mine workers in the belief that howking coal would never stop. Now they are left with huge swathes of housing stock they cant afford to look after, thousands of people that drank theirgenerous redundancy packages in the first six months and refuse to go and look for work assuming that the work will fall into their lap.

Hence the associated social problems creating neds and minks throughout them. There's a few from Fife which you can add to the description above; High Valleyfield, Oakley, Lochgelly, Cardenden, Methil etc.

The flat roofed bit of your post makes me think you're referring to Mountblow as seen from the train when leaving the interchange station at Dalmuir heading towards Dumbarton. Did it have loads of football pitches in front of the flat roofed houses? If it is the place I'm thinking of then it's part of Clydebank rather than Dumbarton and is home to several of last season's Dumbarton squad and at least one of this season's.

Dumbarton itself has hundreds of boarded up council houses, but they're in the schemes and can't be seen from the train generally as most of the schemes in Dumbarton are on the hills either side of the town centre. I was in a street in Brucehill one evening (a delightful scheme, right out of A Serbian Film or Hostel) and there was no power to the street lights, no power to the lights in the close stairwells and all but a couple of the tenement flats had Sitex metal grilles on the windows. There was a young lassie living alone in one of the flats, the only occupied one in that block, despite the lack of lighting in the street / close. Conversely though, the houses just along the Cardross Road from there are very nice.