Worst Town/area In Scotland

MTJ

It seems to be a Scottish trait, branding towns as shit-holes and saying things like "infested with junkies"

In reality, most places in Scotland are broadly similar in terms of the people you will meet there. We're all Scots after all. Now, you could make a case for slagging places off based on archictecture as some of our town centres look terrible in retrospect. Lack of facilities? maybe, but there are very few places in this day and age where people can genuinely complain that there is "nothing to do"

I dont understand how you can name whole towns and compare them with specific areas of other towns. Coatbridge and Airdrie both have areas like Burnbank in Hamilton but equally they also have areas like Barncluith and the soulless West Craigs.

Every single town in the Central belt has good areas and bad areas - even Wishaw (although I have yet to see any but that doesn't mean I would right off the whole town)

Most folk will be gauging their opinions on the immediate surroundings of the football ground, train staion and town centre though. If I didn't know Coatbridge or Airdrie and was visiting for the first time, I'd immeditely turn around and f'ck off at the site of either town centre.

Blairhill, Drumpellier and Dunbeth (posh areas of Coatbridge for the ininitiated), as well as any part of Airdrie that predates the 1930s, are f'cking lovely. Whitlst Airdrie has sufferd from the degeneration of the town centre like so many other places nearby, Coatbridge is a hell of a lot better now than 20 years back.

The long street just down from Airdrie's ground at the roundabout is nice.

Worst area round a ground in Scotland without a doubt has to be Parkhead.

Forfar is basically one colour, grey. Dull as f**k and has more butchers etc than people!

Agree about the Butchers. We were looking for a pub for ages around the town centre but couldnt find anywhere. Butchers seemed to take up every other shop space.

Guest Hakan B*stard

Paisley and its notorious Gilmour Street station have got to be up there. Not a good place to be after 8pm on a Saturday night.

I lived in East Kilbride for 10 years, any time I go back I am astounded by just how grim, concrete and downright shite it is.

Shite place.

I live in Ek and agree that largely it is a shitehole, with no services/shops/facilities unless you go dahntancenner (down the town centre to the uninitiated).

I live in the 'bought hooses' in Stewartfield which is marginally less depressing as its the nearest side to civilisation, although full of nothing but Noddy boxes.

However, it paints a picture of South Lanarkshire when EK is considered 'moving up in the world' to the rest of the regions inhabitants. Toilets like Blantyre, much of Hamilton, Lesmahagow, Larkhall etc are all incredibly depressing places. No wonder teh population of tehse places appears to permanently drunk.

I also find the train from Central to Edinburgh lets you see some f ucking hovels of the first order.

Stayed in Livingston,Dedridge to be exact what a depressing shit hole of a place that is they even had to put the streets in alphabetical order so the fuckwits could find their way home.

• 2 months later...
Anyone heard of a place called Craignuek in Wishaw, Lanarkshire? God one guy got a grenade thrown at him back in the late 90's. Ended up killing the wrong guy right enough but crazy stuff.

only in Craignam could you get shrapnel wounds. :lol:

Seconded. It's really, really bad.

What annoys me slightly is when people say "This place is a shitehole, full of junkies and inbreds". People have used Motherwell as an example but to be honest I find Motherwell not to be too bad in comparison with some places. Sure it has some bad areas but that's the same with everywhere. It has a mixture of posh areas and poor areas, just like everywhere.

However in saying that there is no hope for a place called Woodhall near Port Glasgow. That has to be the worst 'place' I think I've ever seen. I don't know if it's technically part of the Port maybe someone can clarify but my God it is horrible.

What annoys me slightly is when people say "This place is a shitehole, full of junkies and inbreds". People have used Motherwell as an example but to be honest I find Motherwell not to be too bad in comparison with some places. Sure it has some bad areas but that's the same with everywhere. It has a mixture of posh areas and poor areas, just like everywhere.

However in saying that there is no hope for a place called Woodhall near Port Glasgow. That has to be the worst 'place' I think I've ever seen. I don't know if it's technically part of the Port maybe someone can clarify but my God it is horrible.

Pretty sure it's technically part of the Port. Horrible place.

Pretty sure it's technically part of the Port. Horrible place.

It's part of the Port, and not as bad as it used to be by any means.

Still wouldn't want to live there, though.

Large scale new council housing is now a thing of the past.

Each new housing estate(in South Ayrshire) has to be a certain ratio of housing association to private. I don't know what the figures are, but people who have invested in their property wont be shy to phone the police. Unlike the cooncil tenants. The way forward I think.

Guest lukebmfc

Some of these places aren't even THAT bad...Wishaw on the whole is mild compared to some places, "Forgie" (Forgewood) probably being the worst in Motherwell & Wishaw. Larkhall surely has some of the worst schemes in Lanarkshire and places like Netherburn and Stonehouse now theres some shit holes. In my book though, Ayrshire and Dundee top the list though and obviously places like Easterhouse are FAR worse

Possil, where everone has that drawn in junkie look aboot them, either that or they are fat and orangey coloured and wearing their pyjamas to the shops at two in the afternoon.

Possil train station, yesterday...

CR_Possil_station_w.jpg