Worst Town/area In Scotland

MTJ

A lot of the sh*tholes have nice sounding names though.

Anyone looking for a house in Kirkcaldy would think Valley Gardens would be a good choice.

Abbeyview - an unspoilt hamlet with views towards the abbey?

Then others have absolutely f*cked up names that suggest they were designed to be a sh*thole. Skinflats, Mauchline, etc.

Fishcross (on the way to the Sterling Mills outlet) sounds like it would be reekin, but there's a crackin pub/ restaurant/ carvery that does brilliant food. Their steak pie is amazing.

Next time your team play at Alloa/ your wife drags you to Sterling Mills/ you visit the jail, go for something to eat at The Ochil View, Fishcross. It's on the main road.

Am I the only one who kinda wants to, you know, visit these places? In some kind of bizarre voyeurism, and definitely in the confines of tranportation and large groups.

Someone needs to organize a bus tour of Scotlands shit holes (I'm pretty sure the Glasgow Tourist buses already do this around the city). I'd go on it. Who's with me?

And don't say you're not going because I'm going, I'm a very dignified bus passenger.

Some parts of the Hilltown in Dundee were pretty shoddy before they all got knocked down. The place generally doesn't look that terrible now.

There's a lot of Dundee that'd actually fit in this thread, but on the whole it's brilliant.

Am I the only one who kinda wants to, you know, visit these places? In some kind of bizarre voyeurism, and definitely in the confines of tranportation and large groups.

Someone needs to organize a bus tour of Scotlands shit holes (I'm pretty sure the Glasgow Tourist buses already do this around the city). I'd go on it. Who's with me?

And don't say you're not going because I'm going, I'm a very dignified bus passenger.

No, I'm with you there. I actually looked up to see if it was possible to get from my house to Rigside (what a bizarre place that is!) via public transport. It just looks really strange.

No, I'm with you there. I actually looked up to see if it was possible to get from my house to Rigside (what a bizarre place that is!) via public transport. It just looks really strange.

In a previous life as a surveyor I done a job down in rigside, weird wee place. Never got any hassle, the locals just seemed curious/terrified of the equipment we were using. They probably thought the digital level was a soul stealing device.

Also done a job in Oakley, seen a guy with full early-mid nineties rig-out, bubble jacket, popper tracks bowl cut the works. This was in 2006.

Could be a good laugh that job, you name a shithole in Scotland, I've probably been there working!

Can confirm that the worst place was possil, at least at the time anyway closely followed by the white scheme in bridgeton.

Not exactly in Scotland, but I'd like to visit Chernobyl. Probably a lot easier on the eye than some of the places on here. Motherwell for example.

I think Rigside is leading the way so far.  I've got no doubt that there are rougher and more deprived areas but they're within cities and town where there's stuff to do. Rigside on the other hand is entirely a shitty council block in the middle of nowhere along the edge of the Southern Uplands with f*** all to do.

Here is an actual extract from a property website where you can acquire a 3-bed house for only £70k:

Rigside enjoys a range of local amenities including good primary school, health centre with pharmacy, well stocked village shop with post office. It is a great area for the commuter with the M74 only a few minutes' drive. Regular bus service to the larger market town of Lanark which is approximately 7 miles away, and here you'll find a more comprehensive range of amenities, including sports facilities, schools, pubs and restaurants.

The settlement is masked by a row of the only modern houses in the area to make it look half decent to those bypassing Rigside on the main Ayr Road:

post-13234-0-88593400-1342599088_thumb.j

However, this is the real standard with these buildings making up 95% of the place:

post-13234-0-73501700-1342599188_thumb.j

Here is the city centre:

post-13234-0-68958700-1342599259_thumb.j

For entertainment, children can be kept occupied in 'the pit':

post-13234-0-09159800-1342599353_thumb.j

... while the older generations can hang about the post-box for a chat, sharing stories from 'doon the pit':

post-13234-0-85276700-1342599411_thumb.j

There are also usually a couple of BYOB parties, quite often during the day to pass the time:

post-13234-0-88188300-1342599621_thumb.j

Don't all rush at once...

Edited by Hedgecutter

I think Rigside is leading the way so far. I've got no doubt that there's rougher and more deprived areas but they're within cities and town where there's stuff to do. Rigside on the other hand is entirely a shitty council block in the middle of nowhere along the edge of the Southern Uplands with f*** all to do.

Here is an actual extract from a property website where you can acquire a 3-bed house for only £70k:

The settlement is masked by a row of the only modern houses in the area to make it look half decent to those bypassing Rigside on the main Ayr Road:

post-13234-0-88593400-1342599088_thumb.j

However, this is the real standard with these buildings making up 95% of the place:

post-13234-0-73501700-1342599188_thumb.j

Here is the city centre:

post-13234-0-68958700-1342599259_thumb.j

For entertainment, children can be kept occupied in 'the pit':

post-13234-0-09159800-1342599353_thumb.j

... while the older generations can hang about the post-box waiting for a postie to deliver the news from civilisation:

post-13234-0-85276700-1342599411_thumb.j

There are also usually a couple of BYOB parties, quite often during the day to pass the time:

post-13234-0-88188300-1342599621_thumb.j

Don't all rush at once...

You could offer me a 3 bedroom house there for free and £70k cash and I still wouldn't live there. It truly is a hell-hole. The only reason I knew of its existence is that I had to go there for a few hours once a week with my work a couple of years ago. The eery blank expressions on the faces of the less than attractive natives will live with me for a very long time.

Going back to train lines, the Glasgow > Ardrossan South Beach line can be a pretty daunting experience, especially at weekends. Passes a few right dodgy schemes

Glasgow, Paisley (Feegie), Johnstone (in general), Miliken Park (Howwood Road), Glengarnock (Kilbirnie Longbar - hellhole), Dalry (has a few horrible schemes, Timber etc), Kilwinning (Blacklands), Stevenston (all of it), Saltcoats (top end), Ardrossan (top end)

I'm with Hedgecutter: Rigside wins. I think of all the former pit villages, it looks like the most soul-crushing. Imagine growing up there.

edit: Apparently, this is going to be built nearby:

http://owenstown.org/

I'm always a little skeptical of these manufactured towns but...

Edited by Swampy

Going back to train lines, the Glasgow > Ardrossan South Beach line can be a pretty daunting experience, especially at weekends. Passes a few right dodgy schemes

Glasgow, Paisley (Feegie), Johnstone (in general), Miliken Park (Howwood Road), Glengarnock (Kilbirnie Longbar - hellhole), Dalry (has a few horrible schemes, Timber etc), Kilwinning (Blacklands), Stevenston (all of it), Saltcoats (top end), Ardrossan (top end)

I'm around these areas a lot and I don't think they're that bad.

Think Paisley is massively elevated above much of this thread to be honest.

Fishcross (on the way to the Sterling Mills outlet) sounds like it would be reekin, but there's a crackin pub/ restaurant/ carvery that does brilliant food. Their steak pie is amazing.

Next time your team play at Alloa/ your wife drags you to Sterling Mills/ you visit the jail, go for something to eat at The Ochil View, Fishcross. It's on the main road.

I didn't think there was anything in Fishcross, but it does look very nice any time I've driven through! Just a bit small!

Rigside wins. Without a shadow of a doubt.

It's the old Miners Welfare .

I've got to confess to some surprise at the Rigside vote here guys ,as I've passed it on a number of occasions recently when my cycle route includes Muirkirk and Lanark. Admittedly, I only passed through on its only main street and didn't enter the actual "estate", but I must admit to pedalling through some other hamlets at a greater rate than I felt necessary at Rigside .

As for Owenstown, it would appear to be another tribute to the guy we associate with New Lanark, and therefore, no bad thing . :)