Worst Town/area In Scotland

MTJ

That 524 Cocktail Bar on George Street in Aberdeen is a fucking heap :lol:

We went in for a laugh after a Dons game last year and the staff were openly smoking weed behind the bar and the only other customer had no shoes on :)

Sounds like this guy would have enjoyed the boozer where I used to have the occasional swally . During the course of a busy Saturday afternoon an elderly guy in dressing gown, PJs, and slippers, wandered in, planted himself in front of the telly, and started throwing back pints of lager...no one batted an eyelid . :P

When this thread was done before someone just rattled off the stations on the Edinburgh to Glasgow Central stopping train. It makes pretty grim reading...Wester Hailes, Fauldhouse, Shotts, Cleland etc etc. Anyhere on the M8 corridor is pretty shit, but away from there special mentions for Leith, Mayfield, High Valleyfield, Oakley, Fallin, Kinglassie, Walkerburn, Forth, Carstairs and Carronshore.

When this thread was done before someone just rattled off the stations on the Edinburgh to Glasgow Central stopping train. It makes pretty grim reading...Wester Hailes, Fauldhouse, Shotts, Cleland etc etc. Anyhere on the M8 corridor is pretty shit, but away from there special mentions for Leith, Mayfield, High Valleyfield, Oakley, Fallin, Kinglassie, Walkerburn, Forth, Carstairs and Carronshore.

A mate and I once got chased away from a park next to High Valleyfield by youths with a baseball bat when I was younger. We were on bikes so we just cycled away in the opposite direction at a rather fast rate.

I had the misfortune of having to get the Valleyfield school bus through to Dunfermline every morning when I was at High School (I stayed about 2-3 miles away from both). Thankfully most of them got on first so they just went to the back of the top deck and fought amongst themselves. It wasn't unknown for the whole bus to get called to an assembly after drugs had been found or somebody went off telling the headteacher about dodgy goings on and these were kids no older than S4. In my entire year, only one guy from 'The Valley' went on to do any Highers so most folk on the bus weren't fully mature neds, just little minks setting out to get the 'no qualifications' or 'expelled' badge of honour.

I can also only think of one person from Oakley (an Ethioaklian) who went on to do any Highers. This was in one of Scotland's largest High Schools btw so between the two villages giving a combined population of >7000 people, two kids studied for Highers in my year. Others wouldn't have been much different.

It amazes me that Valleyfield's only a mile away from Culross, one of Fife's nicest little villages and Low Valleyfield immediately below it is also rather pleasant. Then again, it was a mining village - population <3000 with an average workforce of 980 at the local pit which was closed in 1978. There's also a strong rumour that the lyrics to 'Into the Valley' by the Skids (fae Dunfermline of course) were all about gangs heading into Valleyfield to pick a fight. The Young Oakley Boys (aptly shortened to YOB) vs the Valley Boys were always colourful encounters I'm led to believe.

Into the Valley,

Betrothed and divine,

Realisations no virtue,

But who can define,

Why soldiers go marching,

Those masses a line,

This disease is catching,

From victory to stone.

Ahoy! Ahoy! Land, sea and sky,

Ahoy! Ahoy! Boy, man and soldier,

Ahoy! Ahoy! Deceived and then punctured,

Ahoy! Ahoy! Long may they die!

We should just draw up a list of Scottish mining villages / towns and that'll save a fair few pages on this thread.

Edited by Hedgecutter

There are a load of wee places around Falkirk that look grim as f**k - anything in the shadow of Grangemouth (including the town/village of Grangemouth itself).

Peterhead's a bit of a hole. Wester Hailes and Sighthill in Edinburgh aren't exactly postcard-friendly either.

But based on the reponses on here, I've missed the worst by never venturing too far into deepest, darkest Ayrshire or Lanarkshire.

A mate and I once got chased away from a park next to High Valleyfield by youths with a baseball bat when I was younger. We were on bikes so we just cycled away in the opposite direction at a rather fast rate.

I had the misfortune of having to get the Valleyfield school bus through to Dunfermline every morning when I was at High School (I stayed about 2-3 miles away from both). Thankfully most of them got on first so they just went to the back of the top deck and fought amongst themselves. It wasn't unknown for the whole bus to get called to an assembly after drugs had been found or somebody went off telling the headteacher about dodgy goings on and these were kids no older than S4. In my entire year, only one guy from 'The Valley' went on to do any Highers so most folk on the bus weren't fully mature neds, just little minks setting out to get the 'no qualifications' or 'expelled' badge of honour.

I can also only think of one person from Oakley (an Ethioaklian) who went on to do any Highers. This was in one of Scotland's largest High Schools btw so between the two villages giving a combined population of >7000 people, two kids studied for Highers in my year. Others wouldn't have been much different.

It amazes me that it's only a mile away from Culross, one of Fife's nicest little villages. Then again, it is a mining village. There's also a strong rumour that the lyrics to 'Into the Valley' by the Skids (fae Dunfermline of course) were all about gangs heading into Valleyfield to pick a fight. The Young Oakley Boys (aptly shortened to YOB) vs the Valley Boys were always colourful encounters I'm led to believe.

[/left]

We should just draw up a list of Scottish mining villages / towns and that'll save a fair few pages on this thread.

[/font]

Valleyfield is pretty rough, when I initially left high school I went to Adam Smith where you more or less went around with the fife council doing labourer work while getting your qualifications for a building site, one time we went to valleyfield for no apparent reason and the guy who was in charge of our group stopped off outside a sign he had just put up a week before hand, already had bullet holes :lol:

Dunfermline High School, while it may have been the biggest, had the misfortune of taking all it's students from some pretty shoddy areas, it was based in Bruicefield area of Dunfermline of course! I actually lived closer to Dunfermline High than Woodmill.

Dunfermline High School, while it may have been the biggest, had the misfortune of taking all it's students from some pretty shoddy areas, it was based in Bruicefield area of Dunfermline of course! I actually lived closer to Dunfermline High than Woodmill.

Queen Anne took in folk from Valleyfield / Blairhall / Oakley and then there was Woodmill High which took in everyone from Abbeyview who wasn't Catholic at St Columbas HS. Nane o' this class-based education in Dunfermline, eh?!

Let's add Abbeyview to this whole list actually. I used to work up on the north coast and met this family whilst doing a tour. I asked the family where they were from and the wee kid immediately jumped in and shouted "Abbeyview!". Not Dunfermline, but very specifically Abbeyview. The parents were suprised I knew where they were talking about.

The guy I worked with by chance also came from Abbeyview before moving to become an electronic goods smuggler between Goa and Jakarta (probably a big improvement). One of his old mates came up with his son and we enjoyed a big slap up meal with stuff he'd brought up, no expense spared. This seemed a bit odd to me before I found out that this guy was due in court in a couple of days time for kicking a guy to near-death and he knew he was going down for it, hence getting in some last quality time with his son. Seemed like a nice chap too!

There's also the Trondheim Parkway story: Dunfermline's been twinned with Trondheim for a few hundred years and the local councillor thought he could get a jolly to Norway out of this by 'reviving' the auld relationship. He got wined and dined over there and then invited the other lot over to Dunfermline to cut the ribbon on a new street in Abbeyview called 'Trondheim Parkway'. The Norwegians were rather angry and unimpressed when they turned up to find a shithole which has since been flattened. laugh.gif

Edited by Hedgecutter

I see your Edinburgh > Glasgow train and raise you the Mutant Express, Dumfries > Glasgow. Calling at

Sanquhar

Kirkconnel

New Cumnock

Auchinleck

Kilmarnock

Kilmaurs

Stewarton

Dunlop

Barrhead

I see your Edinburgh > Glasgow train and raise you the Mutant Express, Dumfries > Glasgow. Calling at

Sanquhar

Kirkconnel

New Cumnock

Auchinleck

Kilmarnock

Kilmaurs

Stewarton

Dunlop

Barrhead

It's a good shout, again, grim reading, but as my Mum comes from Kirkconnel i'm reluctant to mock the "mutant express" passengers, or the stopping points ;)

Sanquhar

Kirkconnel

New Cumnock

Auchinleck

Kilmarnock

Kilmaurs

Stewarton

Dunlop

Barrhead

It's a travesty that VisitScotland advertise the Fort William to Mallaig train journey as being the best in the world yet don't give this a mention.

Thanks to Hedgecutter for the highly amusing "Ethioaklian" reference. There's a guy who I thought might of appeared on the superb "Town Characters/Lunatics" thread who I used to see at the Cowdenbeath Stock Car racing, he used to always wear a huge Dunfermline Athletic puffer jacket thing, wander staring into space back and forward along the track perimiter oblivious to the cars thundering past, anyway the last time I was in Oakley, there was the bold pars/stock car fan wandering, DAFC jacket on, eyes pinned to the sky. Somehow didn't come as a surprise that he was an Ethioaklian!

It amazes me that Valleyfield's only a mile away from Culross, one of Fife's nicest little villages and Low Valleyfield immediately below it is also rather pleasant. Then again, it was a mining village - population <3000 with an average workforce of 980 at the local pit which was closed in 1978. There's also a strong rumour that the lyrics to 'Into the Valley' by the Skids (fae Dunfermline of course) were all about gangs heading into Valleyfield to pick a fight. The Young Oakley Boys (aptly shortened to YOB) vs the Valley Boys were always colourful encounters I'm led to believe.

[/left]

[/font]

That was just a myth I remember folk from valleyfield saying that when I was a school. It was actually about a valley of death. Re the Skids coming from Dunfermline that wasn't strictly true - Stuart Adamson was from Crossgates, Richard Jobson came from Ballingry although his family moved to Saline and Tam Kellichan came from Cowdenbeath I think only Bill Simpson was from Dunfermline.

Edited by cowdenbeath

Ooft Woodmill and Abbeyview. Now that takes me back to ma childhood. I had a great aunt who stayed in Woodmill credcent and we used to walk up to the spar in abbeyview. It was a rough old place. i had cousins who stayed in a right shithole of a street in kelty. lochleven terrace i think it wad called. A pure dump.

Sanquhar

Kirkconnel

New Cumnock

Auchinleck

Kilmarnock

Kilmaurs

Stewarton

Dunlop

Barrhead

As a frequenter of the mutant express, the rickety old train adds to the fear factor of the grim destinations. There is frequently some gang of yobs getting kicked off at Annan, which is also the only place where I have witnessed a fight at a cricket game but apart from a tendency to fight it's alright, Gretna is home of chav weddings and nothing else, Dumfries is decent apart from Lochside which is more of a wannabe hard scheme compared to the rest of Scotland's various and diverse schemes.

But most villages on the roads from Dumfries to Ayr have names that sound like they are actually Ogres, (Mauchline, Drongan, Cumnock, Patna)

Edited by nevillegasm

Queen Anne took in folk from Valleyfield / Blairhall / Oakley and then there was Woodmill High which took in everyone from Abbeyview who wasn't Catholic at St Columbas HS. Nane o' this class-based education in Dunfermline, eh?!

Let's add Abbeyview to this whole list actually. I used to work up on the north coast and met this family whilst doing a tour. I asked the family where they were from and the wee kid immediately jumped in and shouted "Abbeyview!". Not Dunfermline, but very specifically Abbeyview. The parents were suprised I knew where they were talking about.

The guy I worked with by chance also came from Abbeyview before moving to become an electronic goods smuggler between Goa and Jakarta (probably a big improvement). One of his old mates came up with his son and we enjoyed a big slap up meal with stuff he'd brought up, no expense spared. This seemed a bit odd to me before I found out that this guy was due in court in a couple of days time for kicking a guy to near-death and he knew he was going down for it, hence getting in some last quality time with his son. Seemed like a nice chap too!

There's also the Trondheim Parkway story: Dunfermline's been twinned with Trondheim for a few hundred years and the local councillor thought he could get a jolly to Norway out of this by 'reviving' the auld relationship. He got wined and dined over there and then invited the other lot over to Dunfermline to cut the ribbon on a new street in Abbeyview called 'Trondheim Parkway'. The Norwegians were rather angry and unimpressed when they turned up to find a shithole which has since been flattened. laugh.gif

Worked with a guy from Abbeyview and we played his local at pool , it was called the Trondheim ,we had a great time ,i remember there wer bars on the windows ,inside and out !

Has anyone else mentioned Skinflats yet? Ugly little collection of council houses on a floodplain with view of Grangemouth to the southeast and Longannet to the northeast.

Even the name makes it sound like a scab on the arse of Scotland.

Ooft Woodmill and Abbeyview. Now that takes me back to ma childhood. I had a great aunt who stayed in Woodmill credcent and we used to walk up to the spar in abbeyview. It was a rough old place. i had cousins who stayed in a right shithole of a street in kelty. lochleven terrace i think it wad called. A pure dump.

Woodmill and Abbeyview are pretty quiet these days. All the pubs closed! Nearest one is in Touch.

Has anyone else mentioned Skinflats yet? Ugly little collection of council houses on a floodplain with view of Grangemouth to the southeast and Longannet to the northeast.

Even the name makes it sound like a scab on the arse of Scotland.

I went into a DSS rented flat there once to repair a toilet for a letting agent, i think the tenants were poles. They spoke no English but had no electricity on and the bath was full of water keeping about 30 cans of Lech chilled :lol:

That was just a myth I remember folk from valleyfield saying that when I was a school. It was actually about a valley of death. Re the Skids coming from Dunfermline that wasn't strictly true - Stuart Adamson was from Crossgates, Richard Jobson came from Ballingry although his family moved to Saline and Tam Kellichan came from Cowdenbeath I think only Bill Simpson was from Dunfermline.

That's utter pish anaw ma man. It was about them going into the Valley Bakery. My dad's workmate was pals with the Stuart Adamson.