Worst Town/area In Scotland

MTJ

I don't think Kilsyth is actually that bad. Croy on the other hand if it didn't have a train station would surely be debatable with Twechar. Kilsyth right, it has a few nice houses, a high school, a pub/restaurant and a good chippy (Marinis). Not to mention it does inhabit Sir Kevin! :D However, I do agree with you Croy is still a shithole.

Must be a semi.

I got pulled over driving between Kilsyth and Croy one night. The polis stopped me just as I got into Croy but didn't give me the full treatment because the locals were giving them so much grief.

Aye, what about a hole cut in a supporting wall to put a fish tank in to.

I was in a house and the kids were playing with some new puppies. I thought the pups looked a bit lethargic, on closer inspection I saw why. They were deid.

Saw 3 dimensional King Billys stuck on a fireside wall. Carved out of industrial thickness polystyrene packaging.

My mate visited a new mum, who referred to the baby as Gooey. He asked why he she called the wean Gooey. "Oh I got it out a book" and showed him a Mills and Boon number. The main character was called Guy!

I could go on and probably will when I remeber some more.

You and MEADOWXI should start a thread just to post stories like these. The puppy one had me laughing like an idiot for a good five minutes.

Must be a semi.

I got pulled over driving between Kilsyth and Croy one night. The polis stopped me just as I got into Croy but didn't give me the full treatment because the locals were giving them so much grief.

There are plenty of houses in Kilsyth that are not semis.

Aah well, as I said Croy is a shithole! :lol:

You and MEADOWXI should start a thread just to post stories like these. The puppy one had me laughing like an idiot for a good five minutes.

Visit to house, music blaring but no answer at door.

Same next day.

Third day door is answered.

Were you the folk buzzing the last couple if days.

when confirmed we were this is the response I got.

'sorry wissnae answering the door the last couple of days,

I was depressed as one of my rats died - but come in'.

They were just running about the house - no cages.

That was a quick visit. :lol:

I don't think Kilsyth is actually that bad. Croy on the other hand if it didn't have a train station would surely be debatable with Twechar. Kilsyth right, it has a few nice houses, a high school, a pub/restaurant and a good chippy (Marinis). Not to mention it does inhabit Sir Kevin! :D However, I do agree with you Croy is still a shithole.

Thank you lol.

In all honesty I dont see what is bad at all about Kilsyth. Its clean,it has all the amenities and it is safe to walk about the streets at night. I dont think the police get much of a hard time at all down here...occasionally from me maybe :P .

Croy stinks.

Aye, what about a hole cut in a supporting wall to put a fish tank in to.

I was in a house and the kids were playing with some new puppies. I thought the pups looked a bit lethargic, on closer inspection I saw why. They were deid.

Saw 3 dimensional King Billys stuck on a fireside wall. Carved out of industrial thickness polystyrene packaging.

My mate visited a new mum, who referred to the baby as Gooey. He asked why he she called the wean Gooey. "Oh I got it out a book" and showed him a Mills and Boon number. The main character was called Guy!

I could go on and probably will when I remeber some more.

There was a guy where I used to live who used to claim money for incontinence.He used to put a small plastic bag in his pants and await the visiting officer from the old DHSS.Then he would put his hand in his pocket and with a wee pin,he would burst the plastic bag making it look as if had pissed himself.

The same guy used to go about with a walking stick twirling it in the street when pissed.Years later,he became really ill and ended up in a wheelchair with his boy getting him a wheelchair space at Accies.

The guy died through ill health with many thinking he was up to his old ruses whilst in the wheelchair.Case of crying wolf methinks.

There was a guy where I used to live who used to claim money for incontinence.He used to put a small plastic bag in his pants and await the visiting officer from the old DHSS.Then he would put his hand in his pocket and with a wee pin,he would burst the plastic bag making it look as if had pissed himself.

The same guy used to go about with a walking stick twirling it in the street when pissed.Years later,he became really ill and ended up in a wheelchair with his boy getting him a wheelchair space at Accies.

The guy died through ill health with many thinking he was up to his old ruses whilst in the wheelchair.Case of crying wolf methinks.

Another pal from Hamilton told me this one.

The late great Fergie applied for money for a new cooker. A visit was had to be arranged to go to his house. So the poor dick dealing with him arranged an urgent evening visit for that Wednesday night at 7.45.......(

(just after KO time for an Accies/Hearts game. I think)

"Is this time convenient Mr Russell?"

"Stick yer cooker up yer fuckin arse ya w****r"

Another pal from Hamilton told me this one.

The late great Fergie applied for money for a new cooker. A visit was had to be arranged to go to his house. So the poor dick dealing with him arranged an urgent evening visit for that Wednesday night at 7.45.......(

(just after KO time for an Accies/Hearts game. I think)

"Is this time convenient Mr Russell?"

"Stick yer cooker up yer fuckin arse ya w****r"

:lol::lol::lol:

That is a wonderful story.

I was out on my visits in Airdrie one day I saw my mate out on his windae round (He was on the broo, obviously) His young assistant was less familiar with me and paniced at the sight of the man from the social and bolted. My mate was furious and made me help carry his ladder for the rest of the morning. He waited outside when I had to nip in for some official business.

I had my briefcase in one hand and his ladder up on the other shoulder and held it for him when he did some upstairs windaes.

Same guy also had some money lenders after him and waited in reception while I replaced the giro "he hadn't received" I had to let him out the staff stairs to get a head start on them. I had to lie through my teeth that I didn't know where he had gone. They weren't happy!

Interesting thread, some of which I agree with, but plenty of it I don't .

I've lived in a lot of places in Scotland and have visited of passed through most except the borders for some reason.

I've lived in Dundee, Ayr, Dumfries, Prestwick, Lenzie, Troon, the Hillfoots in Clacks, Stirling and now currently reside in Stranraer.

The rap Stranraer is taking here is unbelievable. I agree it's got it's high proportion of social ills, but no more than anywhere else. It's actually the safest I have ever felt in anywhere I have lived. If you think it's bad here you should travel a few miles and spend some time in places like Newton Stewart and Whithorn, the latter in particular being the village of the damned. As for the Hillfoots it was one of the best years of my life spent there. If you look at the amount of houses that were being built at the time in Menstrie and Tillicoutry then it was obviously a place that people wanted to come and live as the houses were snapped up in no time at all.

So my nominations for shiteholes in Scotland are

Harthill. Stopping for fuel at the Services I was approached by a person, not on this planet, who asked me and everyone else in the petrol station "Got any shots?" Now perhaps he was lost and I misheard him and he was trying to get to Shotts, but I doubt it.

Cowdenbeath. I've never actually had the pleasure of the town, but driving past it it just looks like the kind of place that should be excluded from society.

Three Towns. Ardrossan, Saltcoats, Stevenson. That by pass was the greatest ever construction project known to man. A few years ago during Strathclydes finest Operation Blade campaign they had a knife amnesty, and in U division virtually every knife that was handed in came from the same house in Stevenson(I think), Metropolis in Saltcoats...need I go on.

Drongan. I had a mate from Drongan and spent a fair bit of time in the village. All I can say is thank god he lived on the outskirts. Seriously depressed place.

Fort William. It really is a soul destroying place. Is there any point to the town? For the area of beauty that the town sits in it sure does spoil the scenery.

Thurso. Cold, bleak depressing place. God knows what will happen to it when Dounreay is totally decommissioned.

Sauchie. It was ranked as the worst place in Scotland not so many years ago. And boy does it live up to that tag.

Mallaig. Never ever stay there unless you have missed your boat. It isn't a shitehole as such, but boy it is serious boredom. Thank god I was only there for one night.

And I will add Ayr to the list as the town centre is becoming an absolute disgrace.

But all of these above places are like heaven compared to the sprawling monstrosity that is the city of Weedgies. The only place since I left school that I have ever personally been threatened with physical violence. It is the only place I have ever been to that I feel unsafe walking around, even during the day. The only people who will tell you how good a city Glasgow is, are, on the whole, Glaswegians. You can't walk around the city centre without passing dozens of Big Issue sellers and beggars. And then there's all the fun of Saturdays after the football. Buchanan bus station is quite a good place to be, particularly when it is used as a cut through by all of the junkies and jakies going back to the homeless hostel. The underground is a smelly hole and as for Central Station. Ten lanes of motoway going through a city centre, massive traffic jams. It's a joy to drive the M8 at times. And that's just the city centre. I remember a piece in one of the papers a while ago when the M74 extension was proposed. They were interviewing some Dennistoun residents about the potential of their homes being flattened to make way for the motorway. One guy was interviewed and proclaimed it would be a good thing as it would improve the area. That to me sums the entirety of Glasgow up. Flatten it and it will improve Scotland.

Another of my favourite Glasgow related stories was regarding an asylum seeker. Now whether this is an urban myth or not I don't know, but it surrounded an Afghan who was put up in the tower block in Springburn, the tower block that not even Glaswegians would live in so they used it for the asylum seekers. This afghani having lived there went back to the authorities and asked to be returned home as it was better and safer back in Afghanistan.

Also there was the neighbours from hell episode that was entirely dedicated to the one area in Glasgow, the tower blocks that you pass on the M8 just next to Barlinnie.

Add to the above the massive drain on the countries resources that Glasgow causes through the NHS, Benefits system and the justice system and it's time for Glasgow to go.

You are the Weakest link Glasgow...Goodbye

To be fair most of the arrogance that surrounds Glasgow starts with Glasgow City Council. Anyone who had the misfortune to be part of the old Strathclyde will know what I'm talking about. Strathclyde was Glasgow. Everything was siphoned away to that horrid city. City of culture...yeah that was a laugh. The biggest misnomer in history. They definitely had/have a chip on their shoulder about not being capital.

I love Glasgow do I not.

:ph34r::)

Sauchie really is a shithole. So many Neds/Junkies/Whores/Minks. Although it isn't that big of a place some parts are decent but the majority of its mingin.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest douchebag

I live in Grangemouth, a town often slaughtered by others who live in the central belt.

I'll start with the, very limited, good points -

1. nearby rail link to Glasgow and, if you've recently been paid and quite fancy being scowled at in a disapproving manner, Edinburgh

2. SOME decent housing areas, with prices reaching the dizzy heights of 200K

3. A few parks for playing football, though this is on the condition that you dont mind your legs being shaved by glass should you choose to go to ground. NOTE - never volunteer as goalie.

4. What else? Reasonable town centre, couple of supermarkets. Greggs! (The branch of which in Port Glasgow (I was only heading to Dunoon, not visiting PG) was sold out of SAUSAGE ROLLS (ffs) mid-afternoon on a saturday. Utterly pitiful in my opinion. Greggs RUNS on sausage rolls)

5. A few schools, one of catholic preference. A high school, newly built, meaning it looks like those generic lego-land buildings we see popping up all over the place these days, but new nonetheless.

6. A decent sports complex, with good size swimming pool.

7. A "stadium", where people come from all over during their childhoods before they take up smoking.

8. Possibly others, but this is turning into a real estate advert, so I'd rather move onto the bad.

The Bad -

We live almost halfway between Glasgow and Edinburgh. This has it's advantages. It also has many disadvantages. We sound too posh to be able to walk into almost any bar in Glasgow without being looked at as if we are pretentious p***ks, while when we walk into a bar in Edinburgh, people call us poor "weegie" scumbags. (Yes, people from Edinburgh are poor at geogrpahy. That's been proven, scientifically. I've heard)

It also means that the people we went to school with have gone one of only a few ways -

1. they still live and work locally, and probably will do all their lives.

2. They went to Uni in Edinburgh, and now look at everyone in Grangemouth, including, I imagine, their own family, as aforementioned poor "weegie" scumbags.

3. They went to Uni in Glasgow and now have adopted a Glasgow accent, whilst trying to retain the poshness they believe they have by not being from Glasgow. (this is the worst of the ways, as people who put on weegie accents are MUCH worse than those who have them naturally)

4. They dont work at all, and insist on sitting near me when i go for a pint. This annoys me less that people who have fake weegie accents.

I wouldnt say it is architecturally the worst, nor poorest, nor deprived/ill educated/bigoted town, or any of the other derogatory observations of ther likes of Saltcoats, Larkhall etc, but imagine what it's like living in a town consisting of the above groups?

I'm tempted to to drive my automobile out west for a couple of months, and let the savages mug me and beat me up a few times - maybe it'll help me appreciate Grangemouth.

Oh, did I forget to mention the massive petrochemical plant? Romantic light in the evening for outdoor dates, right enough.

I'm ignorant to the tribalisms of you lot in the west, so I dont know exactly which group this guy was talking about, but the guy who said weegies are always trying to prove themselves, I have to agree to an extent.

We had a guy in our college class who claimed it was his mate who had captured Saddam Hussein(sp?), even although it was widely publicised that it was AMERICAN 4th infantry. A division which his mate was not in. Why lie about these things?

Also, why is everyone from west of cumbernauld "related" in some way to Paul Ferris? I find this very tiresome, though maybe I should say that in case you lot send your "Uncle Paul" to beat me up! ;)

Rgds

I can only go by the surrounding areas that I have been to for the football, but you'd be hard pushed to find more dreary and depressing places than Methil and Cowdenbeath. You'd be forgiven for thinking on first look, that they're twinned with Kosovo.

Hey sir!

Actually you are right :lol:

Wee story from my first week in staying in Paisley...

I like to jog now and again, and seeing as I live relatively close to the football parks just off the M8 where the railway is being built, I decided to venture up there on what has been one of the sunniest nights of the year so far after work. Beforehand though, I went to the petrol station for a litre bottle of volvic water to keep me hydrated of course. Costing around £1.20 if I remember correct, I then jogged up to the parks and began planning where was the best area to jog as it was a tiny wee bit boggy in areas.

Anyway, a wee while passed, when I finally decided to around this one pitch. Satisfied with what I had established what I wanted to do, I done a wee warm up, some stretches etc then proceded to place my bottle between one of the goals so as I wasn't carrying it whilst running. Upon doing this, in the very corner of my eye, I spotted 3 wee girls 40 yards away, no more than 8 years old I assumed. I thought nothing of the experience I was about to endure. Just as I set off, I could see them begin to march their way towards the goalmouth where my bottle was lying helpless.

As I got almost half way around the pitch, the biggest one of the lot, clearly with built up frustration of having lived in Paisley for so long, took the decision to obliterate my poor little bottle of water. She placed it sideways on the ground, and jumped on it, both feet and everything with an almighty force sending shockwaves through the ground. Water EVERYWHERE.

Now, you would imagine they would all run away being little girls. No. They strolled away giggling and chuckling without knowing the torture they put me through.

Welcome to Paisley.

Edited by CowdenLoyal