Worst Town/area In Scotland

MTJ

Interesting thread, some of which I agree with, but plenty of it I don't .

I've lived in a lot of places in Scotland and have visited of passed through most except the borders for some reason.

I've lived in Dundee, Ayr, Dumfries, Prestwick, Lenzie, Troon, the Hillfoots in Clacks, Stirling and now currently reside in Stranraer.

The rap Stranraer is taking here is unbelievable. I agree it's got it's high proportion of social ills, but no more than anywhere else. It's actually the safest I have ever felt in anywhere I have lived. If you think it's bad here you should travel a few miles and spend some time in places like Newton Stewart and Whithorn, the latter in particular being the village of the damned. As for the Hillfoots it was one of the best years of my life spent there. If you look at the amount of houses that were being built at the time in Menstrie and Tillicoutry then it was obviously a place that people wanted to come and live as the houses were snapped up in no time at all.

So my nominations for shiteholes in Scotland are

Harthill. Stopping for fuel at the Services I was approached by a person, not on this planet, who asked me and everyone else in the petrol station "Got any shots?" Now perhaps he was lost and I misheard him and he was trying to get to Shotts, but I doubt it.

Cowdenbeath. I've never actually had the pleasure of the town, but driving past it it just looks like the kind of place that should be excluded from society.

Three Towns. Ardrossan, Saltcoats, Stevenson. That by pass was the greatest ever construction project known to man. A few years ago during Strathclydes finest Operation Blade campaign they had a knife amnesty, and in U division virtually every knife that was handed in came from the same house in Stevenson(I think), Metropolis in Saltcoats...need I go on.

Drongan. I had a mate from Drongan and spent a fair bit of time in the village. All I can say is thank god he lived on the outskirts. Seriously depressed place.

Fort William. It really is a soul destroying place. Is there any point to the town? For the area of beauty that the town sits in it sure does spoil the scenery.

Thurso. Cold, bleak depressing place. God knows what will happen to it when Dounreay is totally decommissioned.

Sauchie. It was ranked as the worst place in Scotland not so many years ago. And boy does it live up to that tag.

Mallaig. Never ever stay there unless you have missed your boat. It isn't a shitehole as such, but boy it is serious boredom. Thank god I was only there for one night.

And I will add Ayr to the list as the town centre is becoming an absolute disgrace.

But all of these above places are like heaven compared to the sprawling monstrosity that is the city of Weedgies. The only place since I left school that I have ever personally been threatened with physical violence. It is the only place I have ever been to that I feel unsafe walking around, even during the day. The only people who will tell you how good a city Glasgow is, are, on the whole, Glaswegians. You can't walk around the city centre without passing dozens of Big Issue sellers and beggars. And then there's all the fun of Saturdays after the football. Buchanan bus station is quite a good place to be, particularly when it is used as a cut through by all of the junkies and jakies going back to the homeless hostel. The underground is a smelly hole and as for Central Station. Ten lanes of motoway going through a city centre, massive traffic jams. It's a joy to drive the M8 at times. And that's just the city centre. I remember a piece in one of the papers a while ago when the M74 extension was proposed. They were interviewing some Dennistoun residents about the potential of their homes being flattened to make way for the motorway. One guy was interviewed and proclaimed it would be a good thing as it would improve the area. That to me sums the entirety of Glasgow up. Flatten it and it will improve Scotland.

Another of my favourite Glasgow related stories was regarding an asylum seeker. Now whether this is an urban myth or not I don't know, but it surrounded an Afghan who was put up in the tower block in Springburn, the tower block that not even Glaswegians would live in so they used it for the asylum seekers. This afghani having lived there went back to the authorities and asked to be returned home as it was better and safer back in Afghanistan.

Also there was the neighbours from hell episode that was entirely dedicated to the one area in Glasgow, the tower blocks that you pass on the M8 just next to Barlinnie.

Add to the above the massive drain on the countries resources that Glasgow causes through the NHS, Benefits system and the justice system and it's time for Glasgow to go.

You are the Weakest link Glasgow...Goodbye

To be fair most of the arrogance that surrounds Glasgow starts with Glasgow City Council. Anyone who had the misfortune to be part of the old Strathclyde will know what I'm talking about. Strathclyde was Glasgow. Everything was siphoned away to that horrid city. City of culture...yeah that was a laugh. The biggest misnomer in history. They definitely had/have a chip on their shoulder about not being capital.

I love Glasgow do I not.

:ph34r::)

Wow! How to follow that :rolleyes:

We can all rant about shiteholes, I've done it myself. But in truth, every place has its shitey parts. There are scummy people in even the most posh areas.

However, I've tried to compile a fair and unbiased list of the most unappetising areas I've visited/stayed.

1. FIFE - Not even going to narrow it down to a specific town. It's not so much the places as the people. Darwin's theory would be blown out of the water if scientists ever visited Fife.

2. NIDDRIE - An Edinburgh suburb I was unfortunate enough to live in for ten years. I should have just killed the (ex)wife and been out sooner.

It is a junkie paradise and a perfect base for a family to start interbreeding.

3. MARYHILL - First place I'd ever seen a fight break out between adult families in a McDonalds.

4. WICK - Dead. Need I say more.

5. IRVINE - A hard job to pick the worst of the Ayrshire towns. All of which seem to veer on the Fife mentality.

I wish Billy Connolly's "Tour of Scotland" tv series had visited the real dumps but I suppose Visit Scotland would have been dismayed.

Saltcoats is actually coming up in the world a wee bit with all the newish houses built between the top of the cemetry road and the beginning of Burns Avenue.

However I give you that the town centre is a sht hole full of pound shops and perhaps only 2 decentish pubs - but again is a definite no go area after dark.

This is very true. And I don't think its any coincidence that "Craigneuk" is a horrible name. I have a theory that if you give a place a name like that, it'll end up being a shit hole.

If all Craigneuks were actually called Cherryblossom Grove, I think there would have been less chance that they would be as shite as they are today.

High Valleyfield is a lovely name but it's a dreadful town.

tesco garage ,whit ever its a kowp.and the trend of boots wearing pyjammas all day long, has spread from places like craigneuk (excelsior) why the f##k do they go about wi jammies on wi a coat over them.

Most of my youth spent in Irvine and I have to admit the 1st place I saw 'pyjama people' was Irvine - middle of the day walking to each others homes as the kids are at school and they can't be bothered it is a depressing mark on society.

But the main point is everywhere has garbage bits - now lived in Aberdeen for a number of years, and althoug in prviate sector now spent time with DSS, including visiting and although Aberdeen has some of the richest bits of Scotland I have been in houses where you have to be careful where you walk as some of the floorboards were in the fireplace :lol: This is a genuine experience and the gorier details of smelly/scummy visits.

I have lived from Ayrshire to Edinburgh to Highlands to Aberdeen and visited much in between - good everywhere and bad everywhere.

Most of my youth spent in Irvine and I have to admit the 1st place I saw 'pyjama people' was Irvine - middle of the day walking to each others homes as the kids are at school and they can't be bothered it is a depressing mark on society.

But the main point is everywhere has garbage bits - now lived in Aberdeen for a number of years, and althoug in prviate sector now spent time with DSS, including visiting and although Aberdeen has some of the richest bits of Scotland I have been in houses where you have to be careful where you walk as some of the floorboards were in the fireplace :lol: This is a genuine experience and the gorier details of smelly/scummy visits.

I have lived from Ayrshire to Edinburgh to Highlands to Aberdeen and visited much in between - good everywhere and bad everywhere.

floorboards. thats nothing i went into one house and the livingroom door was hanging out the fire they were just pushing it in a bit more every few minutes.

floorboards. thats nothing i went into one house and the livingroom door was hanging out the fire they were just pushing it in a bit more every few minutes.

Walls that have more graffitti than underpasses,

beds that are a mattress, sheet of plywood and four car wheels

Cat litter trays that are more cat sh1t that litter

Living rooms with flat screen Tv/sky/PS - but no money for carpets or settee.

The joys of visiting the better parts of our country

This is very true. And I don't think its any coincidence that "Craigneuk" is a horrible name. I have a theory that if you give a place a name like that, it'll end up being a shit hole.

If all Craigneuks were actually called Cherryblossom Grove, I think there would have been less chance that they would be as shite as they are today.

I see what you man, but Cherryblossom Grove is just awful! :lol:

If i saw that i'd immediately be thinking: "Stepford Wives..."

How comet and others are still in buisness god only knows. :huh:

How comet and others are still in buisness god only knows. :huh:

It is hilarious - once had an argument with a woman,

was giving her a £12 crisis loan at 16.00 on a Wednesday and she could cash her book the next day.

Her comment 'how can I feed me and my two kids tonight a fish supper is over 4quid each'.

The concept of supermarket and cooking beyond her. Absolute nightmares.

Worked in the same field for nearly 20 years. Bannisters were always the firsr for firewood. Followwed by alternate stairs and floorboards.

In the days of grants rather than loans a guy from Blackhill kept applying for decorating grants due to damp walls. We visited to find he was telling the truth. Water was running down the walls. No other flats seemed troubled with damp. So a visit to the upstairs flat to confirm was arranged. A lovely man conducted a tour of his flat. Living room, My room, kids room, rabbits room, big cupboard..........Wait a minute, rabbits room?.... Aye, where I keep the rabbits.

The room was turfed, he watered it regularly to keep it nice for the rabbits

Another one along the road kept a donkey in the kitchen.

Worked in the same field for nearly 20 years. Bannisters were always the firsr for firewood. Followwed by alternate stairs and floorboards.

In the days of grants rather than loans a guy from Blackhill kept applying for decorating grants due to damp walls. We visited to find he was telling the truth. Water was running down the walls. No other flats seemed troubled with damp. So a visit to the upstairs flat to confirm was arranged. A lovely man conducted a tour of his flat. Living room, My room, kids room, rabbits room, big cupboard..........Wait a minute, rabbits room?.... Aye, where I keep the rabbits.

City centre Aberdeen flat - on 3rd floor of 7/8 storey building.

Had knocked 2 bedrooms into one for space to repair motorbike

(which was in bits all over both rooms - wall knocked down without council permission

and he was council tenant that had made whole building unsafe as supporting wall gone)

and he had bed and all possessions in living room where a large vent in window was missing

to allow barn owl to come in and out (saw pictures of owl in room but owl was out when I visited)

It is unbelievable and unendable the number of stories if you have spent any time visiting

in relation to what at the time was Crisis Loans/Budgeting Loands/Community Care Grants.

I would say it drove me to alcohol but I was already there. :D

Any of you who have been will know I speak the whole truth and nothing but the truth when I say Twechar. It is quite easily the worst place in North Lanarkshire.

If you are going to throw in Twechar then it's near neighbours of Kilsyth and Croy need to be mentioned.

I forgot to add Wick and Thurso, Caithness is generally fairly bleak.

Although if you've grown up there you can stake a claim to be sexually experienced by your 14th birthday.

(which was in bits all over both rooms - wall knocked down without council permission

and he was council tenant that had made whole building unsafe as supporting wall gone)

and he had bed and all possessions in living room where a large vent in window was missing

to allow barn owl to come in and out (saw pictures of owl in room but owl was out when I visited)

It is unbelievable and unendable the number of stories if you have spent any time visiting

in relation to what at the time was Crisis Loans/Budgeting Loands/Community Care Grants.

Aye, what about a hole cut in a supporting wall to put a fish tank in to.

I was in a house and the kids were playing with some new puppies. I thought the pups looked a bit lethargic, on closer inspection I saw why. They were deid.

Saw 3 dimensional King Billys stuck on a fireside wall. Carved out of industrial thickness polystyrene packaging.

My mate visited a new mum, who referred to the baby as Gooey. He asked why he she called the wean Gooey. "Oh I got it out a book" and showed him a Mills and Boon number. The main character was called Guy!

I could go on and probably will when I remeber some more.

They two stories have just cheered up my lunch hour. :D

If you are going to throw in Twechar then it's near neighbours of Kilsyth and Croy need to be mentioned.

I don't think Kilsyth is actually that bad. Croy on the other hand if it didn't have a train station would surely be debatable with Twechar. Kilsyth right, it has a few nice houses, a high school, a pub/restaurant and a good chippy (Marinis). Not to mention it does inhabit Sir Kevin! :D However, I do agree with you Croy is still a shithole.