Worst Town/area In Scotland

MTJ

Having ventured into deepest darkest Ayrshire for the first time recently (not Killie or any of the coastal areas) I'm really spoiled for choice. Cumnock has to be one of the smelliest inbred h*n infested shiteholes possible to come across and I certainly can't remember being in a more shitey place in Scotland before. New Cumnock and Auchinleck looked just as bad from what I saw briefly. You think the schemes in Glasgow are bad, at least you've got the city centre near by to go and keep yourself entertained or keep away from the hole for a few hours, these places are like run down inner city housing schemes in the middle of nowhere!

Edited by MTJ

Having ventured into deepest darkest Ayrshire for the first time recently (not Killie or any of the coastal areas) I'm really spoiled for choice. Cumnock has to be one of the smelliest inbred h*n infested shiteholes possible to come across and I certainly can't remember being in a more shitey place in Scotland before. New Cumnock and Auchinleck looked just as bad from what I saw briefly. You think the schemes in Glasgow are bad, at least you've got the city centre near by to go and keep yourself entertained or keep away from the hole for a few hours, these places are like run down inner city housing schemes in the middle of nowhere!

Theres not many of the Ayrshire villages you'd want to live in. One or two in South Ayrshire are ok. Most of them are horrendous though. Full of care in the community types.

Dundee for me. Not a complete shithole but its not great either. The thing that does it for me is that its littered with ignaramouses who wouldn't know good patter if it kicked them in the twat. I have left that place on several occasions feeling annoyed at something or other.

Mid 80's Whitfield in Dundee was utterly horrific. Dundee has improved a bit since then mind you.

Worst place i've seen/driven through (quickly) was probably Port Glasgow. Other places worthy of a mention:

Brechin

Arbroath

A dodgy scheme in Blantyre

London Road, Glasgow

Not wanting to upset EF fans here but Methil is a fucking dive :P

Football's Hardest Away Days on Sky 1 didn't do it any favours. They portrayed it to be something like an abandoned ghost town in Soviet Russia or something. :lol:

Paisley - I know it's an obvious one from me but I can back it up. So far in my life I have been targeted by criminals only twice. Each time it was in Paisley. Each time it was some coward who broke into my car whilst I was away.

The only other place I have almost got an equal abhorrance of is Stornaway. Worked in that depressing shithole populated by bizarre faux religious zealots for 10 of the worst weeks of my life.

Guest strathbrock
Dundee for me. Not a complete shithole but its not great either. The thing that does it for me is that its littered with ignaramouses who wouldn't know good patter if it kicked them in the twat. I have left that place on several occasions feeling annoyed at something or other.

I have to admit to a soft spot for Dundee. I was up a lot when my wean was at uni there. It doesn't aspire to anything it isn't. Folk are down to earth and ordinary.

There is a place on the edge of West Lothian called Forth. I've only ever just passed through it but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I saw some tumbleweed blowing down the main street.

I have to admit to a soft spot for Dundee. I was up a lot when my wean was at uni there. It doesn't aspire to anything it isn't. Folk are down to earth and ordinary.

There is a place on the edge of West Lothian called Forth. I've only ever just passed through it but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I saw some tumbleweed blowing down the main street.

Is that the Forth that is in South Lanarkshire and has around five streets of council houses and a football pitch? Or is there another one?

Guest strathbrock
Is that the Forth that is in South Lanarkshire and has around five streets of council houses and a football pitch? Or is there another one?

That's the one. It's not actually in West Lothian. There could only be one Forth, surely. ;)

That's the one. It's not actually in West Lothian. There could only be one Forth, surely. ;)

Hopefully. It always struck me as a place where you'd send people who have been released from prison to rehabilitate themselves without affecting the rest of the world.... ;)

Girvan, Kilwinning, pretty much all of Ayrshire. Have to agree with the guy saying Port Glasgow's a dump although it's nothing on some parts of Ayrshire and Lanarkshire.

I've only ever seen it while driving through so it's hard to qualify this but for me Moodiesburn is an utterly soul destroying place. I don't know what it is about it but just passing through makes me want to commit suicide.

My old man was brought up in Cumnock and I now live about 10 mins away and I totally agree with you!

However, you have to remember that these towns were mining towns and when the mines shut there was nothing to replace them other than alcohol, drugs and bigotry. A bit like many parts of Glasgow after the shipbuilding industry went tits up.

The interesting thing is the number of real successful people that come from the area, including my Dad. Must be something to do with striving for better. Bill Shankly, George Burley, Tom Hunter are the better known ones but I know of at least 5 self made multi-millionaires that were at the same school at the same time as my Dad.

I worked in paisley for a couple of years and I hated the place. However, I enjoy going to Love St for the footie and always had a good day.

Lanark, for me, is the biggest shitehole known to man. It's well out of the way for a Lanarkshire town, the architecture wouldn't look out of place in Victorian times, don't even get me started on the neds.

It's also unnerving when you're serenaded by a guy with huge sideburns, wearing dungarees and playing a banjo. Also I would probably bet it's the incest capital of the world, judging by some of the weans running about.

It's like Kazakhstan, but without any class.

Apart from that, it's fine :D

Anyone heard of a place called Craignuek in Wishaw, Lanarkshire? God one guy got a grenade thrown at him back in the late 90's. Ended up killing the wrong guy right enough but crazy stuff.

only in Craignam could you get shrapnel wounds. :lol:

I now just stay down the road a wee bit :( . It's not that bad anymore, like you say in the late 90's with the Murdoch's kicking about it was a rough area. But there and the surrounding area, (M'Well, Whishaw, Carfin, Muirhouse, New Stevenson) should all get a bit better with the Ravenscraig side getting redeveloped at last, no thanks to Eastkilbride and Hamilton Councilors trying to stop it :angry: .

Eastkilbride has some really dodgy areas in it. Dont ask me what bits, Westwood, Murry or whatever, it all looks the f**king same!