Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

13 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Delved into the Border Amatuer League last night ... Lauder 3 Earlston Rhymers 3 

Brilliant game the Rhymers looked to have won it in the last minute but 10 Man Lauder levelled in stoppage time. 

IMG_8416.PNG

^^^Trying to count public parks...disqualified!

Man City aren't wanting to sell us tickets for the Feyenoord game as we don't have a purchase history leaving the local options that evening as Oldham, Bury or Macclesfield Town.

What is the best option from that impossibly glamorous selection? 

I'm thinking maybe Macclesfield as it has terracing but is there anything positive to be said about the other 2? 

if you're intent on spending that particular evening watching archetypal shitty northern football, I give you Wigan Athletic v Doncaster Rovers - about as shitty and northern as it gets !

of the games you mentioned, oldham v wimbledon will be like a morgue and probably the coldest you will ever be in your life, macc v tranmere might have a bit of an atmosphere if rovers are doing well and bring a few, but i'd go for bury v shrews (other than the obvious personal choice) because it sounds like a proper, bleak, november midweek game that has 0-0 written all over it and which you'l look back on forever as the most mind-numblingly unattractive and pointless game you've ever been too, which will be an achievement in its own right - it'll be like the footballing equivalent of self-immolation (but not as warm) :lol:

...and for my part, fucking Venezia have pulled forward their game with Spezia to a 6:00pm Friday evening kick off, for some bizarre reason, which rendes it utterly useless !

can't see the missus going for two trips to the same venue, so Chievo is out of the running (prior to Hellas v Sampdoria midweek), so now looking at Brescia v Pro Vercelli, Milan v Udinese, Mantova v someone even i've never heard (Montebelluna - but then there is the precipitous meccano stand - hmmmmm...) or a real long shot which is Padova v Vicenza on Sunday night, with about 15 minutes after the final whistle to get the last train back to Verona - if that goes wrong, I may never be allowed to plan holidays round football again - but the lure of being able to hurl abuse at the cat-munching cretins may make it a worthwhile gamble...

the coward in me says act all hard done to, bravely forgo another live game as if it's a massive sacrifice - and insist on meagre compensation by watching Roma v Hellas on TV in a rowdy bar and getting wasted on industrial amounts of Peroni and Valpolicella Amarone...

On 02/09/2017 at 12:35, G_Man1985 said:

Surely you must have a list Rab of stadiums you have been to?

I did one a few years ago G_Man but need to add the last 3/4 seasons on. Will try and do it in the next few weeks. 

On 9/4/2017 at 18:30, Shanner said:

Man City aren't wanting to sell us tickets for the Feyenoord game as we don't have a purchase history leaving the local options that evening as Oldham, Bury or Macclesfield Town.

What is the best option from that impossibly glamorous selection? 

I'm thinking maybe Macclesfield as it has terracing but is there anything positive to be said about the other 2? 

I'd go to Oldham since I've never been there yet. Macclesfield is good though. The bar upstairs from the main stand is brilliant. It's shared with hospitality customers, but I think they do walk up food as well and it looked good. I was just on the beer that night though.

5 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'd go to Oldham since I've never been there yet. Macclesfield is good though. The bar upstairs from the main stand is brilliant. It's shared with hospitality customers, but I think they do walk up food as well and it looked good. I was just on the beer that night though.

Going to watch Oldham next week away to Bristol Rovers. In fact got a ticket in the away end for some reason. So will let you know how shit they are. 

4 hours ago, Finch road said:

Going to be in London tomorrow and will take in a game. Done all the London Premier grounds and QPR. Any suggestions?

Fulham at home. Mrs Mantis and I were there a couple of years back. Oktoberfest pub in the Fulham Road was good pre match.

Just back from my holiday in Italy on Sunday night and managed to take in a couple of games.

The  first was Roma -Italy,  which finished 3-1 to Inter. A decent enough game and a fair result on balance of play. Mind you Roma hit the wood work two or three times while 1-0 up.

The stadio Olympico facilities were okay, however, as has been detailed here, there and everywhere, running tracks do not lend to a great atmosphere. 

Fair  play to the travelling Inter fans who sang all the way through. Roma fans in the the Curva Sud were not as noisy as I thought they would be. Mind you it was possible that all the noise was lost in the night sky from my seat in the main stand.

We took a taxi in and as it was a warm night walked back into town. It only took an hour so not too bad.

After Rome we were off to Florence then up to Bellagio on Lake  Como.  I thought I might get a sneaky Como game in , although I was told by a local barman they no longer play in Como.  We did visit Como and their former Stadium sits  by the lake. Probably good views from the stands in days gone by if the action on the field was poor.

Finished off in Milan and I was aware Inter were at home to Spal on the Sunday, albeit we were flying home at 6.30pm.

On the Saturday an Inter supporting barman told us the game had been put back for TV coverage. Still wasn't too bothered about going. However, it pissed down (torrential) Saturday night and into Sunday and the wife suggested we should go to the football rather than the planned bus tour - bonus!

The San Siro was like night and day to the Stadio Olympico. While not full by any means both sets of fans made a right racket throughout. Better views and much closer to the pitch.

Better transport links too, with the metro right outside. The toilets were fucked though and an inch of water/piss greeted me on going for a piss. Nice.

Had to leave on the hour with Inter 1-0 up courtesy of a penalty (finished 2-0), so we could get back to the hotel and then the airport. I heard the second goal was a peach. The game was okay with Inter always in control.

Both games were fairly enjoyable though. I would like to take in a bigger match at the San Siro though. That is a stadium built for football and undoubtedly generates a good atmosphere.

Edited by qos_75

My brother won a trip on Caledonian Travel's Facebook page, they've started doing trips to EPL games and had a competition to launch it. Nett result is that on Saturday we are off to see Stoke City v Chelsea at the Bet365 Stadium, bus to the match, tickets, and b&b and dinner all included.