Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Finding out that all those diddy no-mark towns like Rochdale have their own, even diddier town rivals in the depths of the pyramid is always an eye-opener. Two teams fighting it out to be the best in Runcorn really tops the bald men and a comb analogy.

It's like when you first discover that Forfar sustains more than just one laughable pub team in the village at the same time. Truly bizarre.

funnily enough I was perusing this thread as the train I'm travelling to Preston on passed the ground of Carlisle City.

Quite a small but perfectly formed wee ground but a total first to find out they exist.

funnily enough I was perusing this thread as the train I'm travelling to Preston on passed the ground of Carlisle City.

Quite a small but perfectly formed wee ground but a total first to find out they exist.

That's Celtic Nation/Gilford Park old ground. City play in the Northern Alliance just now, but I expect them to reach the Northern League now they have inherited those facilities.

That's Celtic Nation/Gilford Park old ground. City play in the Northern Alliance just now, but I expect them to reach the Northern League now they have inherited those facilities.

Ah right, that's where my daft pal sometimes ended up when coming down for a cross border session. Ah think the Celtic Nation novelty soon wore off and it just ended up as pub sessions with no football.

Ah right, that's where my daft pal sometimes ended up when coming down for a cross border session. Ah think the Celtic Nation novelty soon wore off and it just ended up as pub sessions with no football.

I never got round to going yet, but it's still on the list.

Did celtic nation not go tits up after getting a very brief injection of cash?

Edit: Happy 4000th post to me :)

Aye Sottish/American entrepreneur, Frank Lynch, who lost interest fairly quickly. They always denied being interested in flogging the league place to Celtic, had they climbed the pyramid. It eventually sank in that it wouldn't be allowed and he bailed out.

Same guy was involved in various other hare brained football franchise ideas.

Smart ground a bit short of pubs near it, but a couple of stops on the metro will get you to plenty. Quite a scary looking support from a lot of guys banned from Newcastle.

Going by the below banner I seen I guessed that their fans leaned somewhat to the right. Fans were fine though.

Scrappy 0-0 with a late sending off. Fast paced and entertaining enough.

post-42418-14584153809669_thumb.jpg

Preston v QPR today - if that was indicative of the standard of Championship football then the marketing men earn every penny by polishing this turd to a high sheen.

plenty of players willing to boot lumps out of each other which is fine but it's also something that costs six quid to see in the Juniors. This was a surprisingly unrefined game for a supposedly good division.

nice set up at Deepdale though and a decent enough crowd of about 12k. As always the English match day experience is much more relaxed and enjoyable than Scotland. It's still weird to see folk walking around the concourse with a beer while families drink soup from flasks they'd never be allowed into an SPL ground. Out in the stands the fans, players and staff all interact freely, with stewards more or less acting like ushers rather than banana republic police.

the English game might be hyped up to f**k in order to lure fans in, but they obviously feel happy to keep going along because they aren't treated like cuunts every week. Why we're not copying everything we can from them I've no idea.

Huntly v Nairn on Saturday for me.  First random game I'll have been to in a while.  

It finished 2-2 with all the goals coming in the first half.  A draw was a fair result.  Considering the fact that Nairn are almost 30 points better off then Huntly I was surprised at how tight the game turned out to be.  Hopefully I'll get to one or two other Highland League grounds before the season is over now the weather has improved and call offs are a bit less likely.

Aarau v Wil yesterday.

Aarau won 2-1 and are now 7 games unbeaten and 6 points behind Wil who sit in second. Not bad considering they were bottom of the league a month ago.

1st goal looked a yard offside, and the penalty for the second goal was a strange one, as the ref appeared to book the forward for diving and give the penalty at the same time. No one could quite work it out. Hopefully they put the highlights online before I forget that I want to watch it again.

doesn't look that busy. Much of a turn out?

About 100 elsewhere around the ground.

Got South Shields or Whickham tonight, decisions, decisions. Been to South Shields before, nice ground, easy to get to. Or do I break new ground in darkest Gatesheed.

I got to Jarrow last season it's a great wee ground.

Hand built, largely with scrap from the owners roofing business. But it has been done very well. Hell of a hike from the station. I took the shortcut through the park in the pitch black. Went the long way back.