Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

22/42: Partick Thistle 0-4 Queens Park, Championship, 22/10/22
Well, well, well. Didn't see this coming.
Thistle were well on top in the first half, and hit the post with a penalty, then hit the bar and missed a couple of good chances besides. Yet, they found themselves a goal down at half-time, harshly.
Second half, the roof fell in. Queens Park played some nice stuff, but Thistle lost their shape and became a rabble after losing a poor second goal.
As an impartial observer, I saw it as one of those days for Thistle. They missed a penalty, and hit the bar twice besides that. On another day one or two of their first-half chances go in and they maybe win comfortably. Losing Tiffony to injury in the second half was a blow, too. He and Milne had been causing problems and finding good positions.
For Queens Park, Eze scored in a much more impressive showing than when I saw him as a sub when they lost to Ayr, and his goal was the 100th I've seen this season all told. McPake took his goals well, but it was too easy from a Thistle viewpoint. I'm not sure what to make of this performance. They've won 4-0 away at a promotion rival, but weirdly I'm unconvinced.
Seeing Thistle again at Ayr on Tuesday. Interested to see how they react.
Final point. The Jackie Husband stand is not designed for full-sized people. First time I've sat in it as an adult, and that was a squeeze. I'm not even fat or all that tall.

1.thumb.jpg.3a1ea293d0af0fd843202336adb113ff.jpg
2.thumb.jpg.1b6a975e9853a94759a6e7da1bdcd88c.jpg
3.thumb.jpg.57172bfa1d0ddf5863b51378f76cc7d4.jpg
4.thumb.jpg.1f30ea80c4972b6272be66df8c93f957.jpg

Me and my mate are doing the 42 as well and would have been sat not far from you down the front.

Nice one. How far through are you?

Because i spent a few years travelling to Raith away games during the 90s, i will be doing a few of them again as he hasn’t been to some of them. So going on that, we are at 16.
We have Alloa in November, Livi in January, albion rovers in march (just incase they go down) and Motherwell in April.
I am planning on doing more of the closer places first, before focusing on the likes of ross county, Annan, Elgin, Stranraer. It’s go take a few seasons, but it has been a “bucket list” thing that we have both wanted to do.
We take it in turns that one drives, the other pays for tickets. We are hoping to do a few by train next season, make a proper day of it.
How are you finding it? A little but gutted most places don’t do programmes anymore, but that’s a very minor gripe about it all.

10 hours ago, buchan30 said:

Because i spent a few years travelling to Raith away games during the 90s, i will be doing a few of them again as he hasn’t been to some of them. So going on that, we are at 16.
We have Alloa in November, Livi in January, albion rovers in march (just incase they go down) and Motherwell in April.
I am planning on doing more of the closer places first, before focusing on the likes of ross county, Annan, Elgin, Stranraer. It’s go take a few seasons, but it has been a “bucket list” thing that we have both wanted to do.
We take it in turns that one drives, the other pays for tickets. We are hoping to do a few by train next season, make a proper day of it.
How are you finding it? A little but gutted most places don’t do programmes anymore, but that’s a very minor gripe about it all.

I'm similar to you in that I've got gaps because I spent most of my youth doing Hearts home and away most weeks. Always went to see Clyde from time to time with family though, so had filled in a decent number of the lower league ones as well. I started this season with nine of the 42 that I'd never been at, and that's now down to just Bonnyrigg, Kelty, Alloa (coming up on Saturday), and Edinburgh to go.

I made the decision to do the 42 in a season while sitting in a pub last summer in Derby. I'd lived away for a few years, so had given up my Hearts season ticket, but I was just about to move home. I'd procrastinated too long about buying a ST for this season to the point where by the time I went to do it online, they'd sold out. So, in the next five minutes over a pint I started thinking through going to all 42 as a sort of Homecoming Tour.

It's been really good fun so far. I'm mixing it up in terms of doing Hearts games with mates, Clyde games with family, and others a combination of going solo and just whoever fancies coming along that day. Had good days out with mates at Stirling and Arbroath, and enjoyed a solo day double-headering at Forfar and Dundee United.

I'm well ahead of schedule, so anticipating a gentle second half of the season. All going to plan number 42 will be Peterhead v Clyde on April 22nd. Also aiming to go to the Challenge Cup final and the lower league play-offs to round off the season.

I'm doing it low-tech and working off this sacred piece of lined paper to guide me through the season. Coloured-in clubs at the bottom are already done.

Plan.jpg

Edited by DoingThe42

2 hours ago, DoingThe42 said:

I'm similar to you in that I've got gaps because I spent most of my youth doing Hearts home and away most weeks. Always went to see Clyde from time to time with family though, so had filled in a decent number of the lower league ones as well. I started this season with nine of the 42 that I'd never been at, and that's now down to just Bonnyrigg, Kelty, Alloa (coming up on Saturday), and Edinburgh to go.

I made the decision to do the 42 in a season while sitting in a pub last summer in Derby. I'd lived away for a few years, so had given up my Hearts season ticket, but I was just about to move home. I'd procrastinated too long about buying a ST for this season to the point where by the time I went to do it online, they'd sold out. So, in the next five minutes over a pint I started thinking through going to all 42 as a sort of Homecoming Tour.

It's been really good fun so far. I'm mixing it up in terms of doing Hearts games with mates, Clyde games with family, and others a combination of going solo and just whoever fancies coming along that day. Had good days out with mates at Stirling and Arbroath, and enjoyed a solo day double-headering at Forfar and Dundee United.

I'm well ahead of schedule, so anticipating a gentle second half of the season. All going to plan number 42 will be Peterhead v Clyde on April 22nd. Also aiming to go to the Challenge Cup final and the lower league play-offs to round off the season.

I'm doing it low-tech and working off this sacred piece of lined paper to guide me through the season. Coloured-in clubs at the bottom are already done.

Plan.jpg

Superb. I've just 7 to go. 

Ross County, going 5th November V St Mirren.

Inverness CT

Elgin City

Annan Athletic (was supposed to be this weekend, but I don't drive and there's a rail strike)

Stranraer

Morton

Cove Rangers

2 hours ago, DoingThe42 said:

Plan.jpg

Have you thought about a career in IT?

Plan.thumb.jpg.04c171d0f971e60a570b7f39efc302fb.jpg

Loving the fact you are working, just off a bit paper. I have mines down on excel, but am looking to get as much information on the trips as possible. I am having to research okd raith games for attendances and scores. Which is a lot harder than it should be. I have my dad finding old programmes for me as well.
The blue are the ones i/we have been to. The small blue ones are ones i will be doing again.
a871cd9630c60ed6935ef50f31ee0db8.jpg

I've done the 42 having now given up the top four leagues for various reasons we're now on doing the 283 in the whole pyramid. On 101 (ish) of the current grounds

2 hours ago, buchan30 said:

Loving the fact you are working, just off a bit paper. I have mines down on excel, but am looking to get as much information on the trips as possible. I am having to research okd raith games for attendances and scores. Which is a lot harder than it should be. I have my dad finding old programmes for me as well.
The blue are the ones i/we have been to. The small blue ones are ones i will be doing again.
a871cd9630c60ed6935ef50f31ee0db8.jpg

My wee bit of paper is doing just grand. I quite like the scored out bits and the record of where the season could have gone in different directions. I'm sure it'll be amended further yet. It's strangely satisfying colouring in the team names as I go.

I'm also keeping a wee box of programmes, tickets, half-time draws, train tickets etc for this season. Planning to put some of them into a scrap book, but I've not bothered my arse to do it yet, so they remain in the box.

I keep an Excel record like that for every ground I've ever been to all over the world. Fixture, date (where I've remembered/bothered to look it up yet), score, and competition. Alloa will be added to that in a couple of days, which will take me up to a (modest for people who do this, I know) 109.

Seeing that you've put the attendances in has given me thought. That might become an afternoon lost to futile research one day.

Despite all this, I have actually spoken to a girl before. Honest.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by DoingThe42

55 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

My wee bit of paper is doing just grand. I quite like the scored out bits and the record of where the season could have gone in different directions. I'm sure it'll be amended further yet. It's strangely satisfying colouring in the team names as I go.

I'm also keeping a wee box of programmes, tickets, half-time draws, train tickets etc for this season. Planning to put some of them into a scrap book, but I've not bothered my arse to do it yet, so they remain in the box.

I keep an Excel record like that for every ground I've ever been to all over the world. Fixture, date (where I've remembered/bothered to look it up yet), score, and competition. Alloa will be added to that in a couple of days, which will take me up to a (modest for people who do this, I know) 109.

Seeing that you've put the attendances in has given me thought. That might become an afternoon lost to futile research one day.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Superb work @Doingthe42 and @Buchan30. Glad I'm not the only one who keeps a Spreadsheet. I've added in previous and new stadium as well if I've visited both. Pink is yet to visit. And Queen's Park at Lesser Hampden will need to be added once they move in. I've sadly missed out on Broomfield, Boghead, Love Street and Annfield in my time

IMG_20221027_165711.jpg

21 minutes ago, atfccfc said:

Superb work @Doingthe42 and @Buchan30. Glad I'm not the only one who keeps a Spreadsheet. I've added in previous and new stadium as well if I've visited both. Pink is yet to visit. And Queen's Park at Lesser Hampden will need to be added once they move in. I've sadly missed out on Broomfield, Boghead, Love Street and Annfield in my time

IMG_20221027_165711.jpg

Very much enjoying the colour-coding you lads are using. Impressive work.

I hadn't thought of Excelling it up until my brother and a mate of ours let slip that they had them a few years ago. Subsequently found out another mate had one too. Probably more of us out there than we think. Quite an afternoon that was sitting trying to recall the first time I was at each ground, then going round other countries etc. Loads of fun.

Edited by DoingThe42

8 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

Very much enjoying the colour-coding you lads are using. Impressive work.

I hadn't thought of Excelling it up until a mate of mine let slip that he had one a few years ago. Quite an afternoon that was sitting trying to recall the first time I was at each ground, then going round other countries etc. Loads of fun.

Thanks, I keep one for matches attended also as well as other sports. I'm a nerd 🤣

On 23/10/2022 at 16:35, DiegoDiego said:

Real Monterotondo Scalo 1-3 AS Angri 1927.

Serie D Group G action today, which competes the six top tiers in Italy for me. €10 entry which was only a couple of Euros cheaper than the top end Serie B clash I saw yesterday but this was far more entertaining.

I prefer small Italian towns to the cities and Monterotondo was a nice little trip away, about half an hour from Rome by train.

It was a classic lower league clash: goals, red cards, hearty tackles, defensive clangers, misplaced passes, balls skyed out the stadium, a corner which trundled across the six yard box with zero takers, and barely a minute going by without someone rolling around on the Astroturf.

The home side had a man sent off on twenty minutes at 1-0 down but the rest of the game was even and end to end until a second red was shown. Three injury time goals followed.

The ref had a difficult game but handled it well, despite the accusations from the home fans of there being twelve Angri men.

Probably about 1000 in attendance with roughly 120 away fans penned into a cage on the far side and six folk watching from their balconies.

A good day out. e1ba1fe2ad87cd846409377e4b15e10b.jpgf68b9b5a93e2a9a76f9081f8b76d5305.jpgbd23e7e435b00a0444fe39b36b2ba3bd.jpg32d10349d12b7e861a7f7cb64c57a4c7.jpg

AS Angri? I like that name. Twinned with Hertha Beelin' perhaps?

Superb work@Doingthe42 and@Buchan30. Glad I'm not the only one who keeps a Spreadsheet. I've added in previous and new stadium as well if I've visited both. Pink is yet to visit. And Queen's Park at Lesser Hampden will need to be added once they move in. I've sadly missed out on Broomfield, Boghead, Love Street and Annfield in my time
IMG_20221027_165711.thumb.jpg.c01af0a4a0b674f7977e352abaecb143.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.538a938487541c99ba09feaaadc223e6.jpg
2.thumb.jpg.c4faf551c7d7d81ad2201f293cd1d8d0.jpg

Fantastic detail on they spreadsheets and the ticket stubs and that as well. Like you, queens park at lesser hampden will go back on the list when they add there. boghead and Annfeild are ones i have missed out on as well. I love your detail of old/new stadium and the colour coding just tops it off.
I had a section in mine for ticket prices, but they are proving hard to come by from the 90s, so i might have to get rid of that.

1 hour ago, buchan30 said:

Fantastic detail on they spreadsheets and the ticket stubs and that as well. Like you, queens park at lesser hampden will go back on the list when they add there. boghead and Annfeild are ones i have missed out on as well. I love your detail of old/new stadium and the colour coding just tops it off.
I had a section in mine for ticket prices, but they are proving hard to come by from the 90s, so i might have to get rid of that.

You were there when we pumped Hearts 4-0. You lucky, lucky person.

2 hours ago, buchan30 said:

My first away ground was Annfield in May 1987

The urinals had no roof on them and the nettles growing out of them were six foot high!