Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Middlesbrough 1-0 Bournemouth (EFL Championship, 18/12/2021). 
I am in the north-east this weekend, so thought I might as well try and get along to a couple of games. First up, the Riverside this lunchtime. I did fear the worst as I saw the litany of postponements coming through from England during the week, but thankfully this one survived. 
This wasn't an amazing spectacle; Bournemouth shaded a fairly uneventful first half, spurning a couple of really presentable opportunities to put themselves ahead - Ryan Christie was particularly guilty of profligacy on the stroke of half-time, shooting wide from about six yards when it looked easier to score. Middlesbrough did improve and were significantly better than Bournemouth in the second half. The game was decided by a penalty, which I thought looked a bit soft in real time but I would probably need to see it again to make a definitive judgement.  
Overall, I think the better team won this. I was disappointed by Bournemouth - they looked like they were going to run away with the Championship earlier this season, but they didn't look great at all here, especially considering the talent they have across their squad. They never properly looked like getting anything from the game once Middlesbrough went in front. 
On a side note, I would have to say that Middlesbrough fans - or those around me - definitely don't appreciate playing out from the back, or the goalkeeper punching the ball rather than catching it. I know this is a common theme across UK grounds, but Middlesbrough fans seemed to be particularly vociferous about it. 
Some (very) amateur photography:
EA02FAF6-B408-4D4E-AB1C-9161289FD75F_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.00867f12a7ec6f3ca0602e659a952ef9.jpeg
773E62B2-97FD-4987-AB1B-D1DA8ED2E55F_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.d112c565ea369db542ad61f53c880648.jpeg
55803BF1-CCC1-428E-A74B-68662B9882C0_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.05803e35b84a2ce6110396cc36e37b3b.jpeg
F08A9E63-0572-4E06-B64B-5DB2C79DACD7_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.0a41986bb3a8cd295de4ac7d571f1ff9.jpeg

I wasn't there of course but I never heard the grumbling from the crowd (for playing out from the back) until after a couple of close calls from Boro. One from Howson in particular should have resulted in a Bournemouth goal. After that I bwas actually shouting at them via my tele for doing it as well tbf [emoji38]

Other than a brief spell at the end of the first half I thought Boro were pretty comfortable today. It's refreshing to see them taking a game to the opposition. If we had a decent finisher I think it would be a real fight at the top.

Buzzing to see young Izzy doing so well as well. Did he get MotM aye? Was mine personally, certainly.

44 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I wasn't there of course but I never heard the grumbling from the crowd (for playing out from the back) until after a couple of close calls from Boro. One from Howson in particular should have resulted in a Bournemouth goal. After that I bwas actually shouting at them via my tele for doing it as well tbf emoji38.png

Other than a brief spell at the end of the first half I thought Boro were pretty comfortable today. It's refreshing to see them taking a game to the opposition. If we had a decent finisher I think it would be a real fight at the top.

Buzzing to see young Izzy doing so well as well. Did he get MotM aye? Was mine personally, certainly.

I can't recall hearing an 'official' man of the match announcement, but I thought he was very good in the second half. He looks like the sort of player who should be well suited to a Wilder team. 

I thought Fry played Solanke very well, and I also thought McNair and Howson were good. 

Hernandez continuing his celebration for about 10 seconds when the assistant had his flag up, and getting booked for removing his shirt, was objectively very funny. 

I can't recall hearing an 'official' man of the match announcement, but I thought he was very good in the second half. He looks like the sort of player who should be well suited to a Wilder team. 
I thought Fry played Solanke very well, and I also thought McNair and Howson were good. 
Hernandez continuing his celebration for about 10 seconds when the assistant had his flag up, and getting booked for removing his shirt, was objectively very funny. 

I think once he gets his final ball sorted he'll be at a bigger club and won't be long until an England cap is en route.

Aye that was pretty funny. Fanny [emoji38]

Last group game of the AFF cup. Malaysia v Indonesia. Indonesia win 4-1, winning their group and setting up a semi final with Singapore. (Thailand v Vietnam in the other semi).

Average fair that Indonesia initially made hard work of. 

Satisfying result with a semi final on Christmas day and a final on New years day.

4570E8AF-9380-4AD4-8EF5-1FFF498F698C.jpeg

D552292C-0EBE-4F22-B0EE-A31474AB5A49.jpeg

A217D775-D7AA-46E9-8A5A-8B7AC3637374.jpeg

Newcastle United 0-4 Manchester City (English Premier League, 19/12/2021). 

City didn't need to get out of second gear here, but some of their play was a joy to watch in the flesh. Newcastle had a couple of moments, and definitely should have had a penalty in the first half, but they were well beaten by an excellent team. 

This was my first time at St James' Park, and it is a pretty impressive stadium. The (lack of) legroom is a bit uncomfortable for anybody over about 5'8", at least where I was in the Leazes Stand. 

image.thumb.png.bf60d152285af447364a37199db29c74.png

image.thumb.png.add45db667816a17e5da2f0b3fa1374b.png

Dundee United Women 2-0 Glasgow Women
Number 1 v 2 in the SWPL2 at Dundee Regional Performance Centre (Caird Park). Dundee United started well and took an early lead. They scored a second late in the first half and after that they were never really in trouble.
6486e3d7789c46438e100e8a54189a95.jpg9ffe92cfde6bd96917aadef2554bdfb0.jpga05aafd4299ff3b28547871ce8c844c6.jpg

On 18/12/2021 at 16:31, Jute said:

Musselburgh Ath 0-6 Linlithgow Rose. Musselburgh were probably very unlucky to be 3-0 down at half time. They had more of the ball and more chances but Linlithgow were just clinical and took the only 3 real chances they had. Musselburgh just collapsed in the 2nd half and Linlithgow could easily got more than the 3 they did. 

F8D80869-DF98-4E5F-8C18-9384C138A69B.jpeg

511418AB-4F29-405D-B484-AAAA3E49992A.jpeg

Crowd looks pretty low which is a shame to see. Haven't been to watch Mussy myself since the Penicuik game at the back of August as I've moved away, but crowds were very healthy. Suppose it's to be expected a bit when the colder weather comes but looks quite the drop in these photos.

11 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

Crowd looks pretty low which is a shame to see. Haven't been to watch Mussy myself since the Penicuik game at the back of August as I've moved away, but crowds were very healthy. Suppose it's to be expected a bit when the colder weather comes but looks quite the drop in these photos.

Crowd was decent but in first picture I managed to get only part of ground with very few fans and second was just at final whistle when most home fans had left. 

12 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

I was at that one too and it was given as 412. It was a decent night for it. Planning to go to Penicuik tonight and maybe Mussy tomorrow.

On 19/12/2021 at 17:15, DrewDon said:

Newcastle United 0-4 Manchester City (English Premier League, 19/12/2021). 

City didn't need to get out of second gear here, but some of their play was a joy to watch in the flesh. Newcastle had a couple of moments, and definitely should have had a penalty in the first half, but they were well beaten by an excellent team. 

This was my first time at St James' Park, and it is a pretty impressive stadium. The (lack of) legroom is a bit uncomfortable for anybody over about 5'8", at least where I was in the Leazes Stand. 

image.thumb.png.bf60d152285af447364a37199db29c74.png

image.thumb.png.add45db667816a17e5da2f0b3fa1374b.png

People complain at times about being high up at some grounds but I'd much rather have a view like that than be low down at pitch level especially behind a goal. 

People complain at times about being high up at some grounds but I'd much rather have a view like that than be low down at pitch level especially behind a goal. 
I've sat in a similar seat at St James' Park and I'd much rather be pitchside at Gayfield or wherever.

I thought it was a decent view. If I have to be behind the goal, I generally like to be further up. I think where the away fans are at St James', which is above where I was in the Leazes Stand, probably isn't the best match-watching experience, though. 

14 hours ago, Jute said:

Crowd was decent but in first picture I managed to get only part of ground with very few fans and second was just at final whistle when most home fans had left. 

Understandable tbf with the scoreline. :lol: 

12 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I was at that one too and it was given as 412. It was a decent night for it. Planning to go to Penicuik tonight and maybe Mussy tomorrow.

Aye was a cracking night there. Even got a bit tasty where I was standing with Penicuik and Mussy fans mixed. :lol: All fairly tame in the end but a bit of to and fro' between punters. Not what I expect at a tier 6 Scottish match. 

Just saw the Penicuik score tonight. Hope you didn't bother. Saying that, I just saw today that Mussy are at home tomorrow. Swear I just looked at the fixture list the other week and there wasn't a game scheduled for tomorrow. Shame I have my wee lassie tomorrow night as I'd love to have went.

10 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

Understandable tbf with the scoreline. :lol: 

Aye was a cracking night there. Even got a bit tasty where I was standing with Penicuik and Mussy fans mixed. :lol: All fairly tame in the end but a bit of to and fro' between punters. Not what I expect at a tier 6 Scottish match. 

Just saw the Penicuik score tonight. Hope you didn't bother. Saying that, I just saw today that Mussy are at home tomorrow. Swear I just looked at the fixture list the other week and there wasn't a game scheduled for tomorrow. Shame I have my wee lassie tomorrow night as I'd love to have went.

It was actually a decent game, highly competitive, a few bookings, but far too hectic with nobody showing much composure and loads of shots fired over the bar. My first 0-0 in 24 games. I was cursing that one as I had gone over 100 games before that. Anyway met a few people at the game as you always do in the EOSL. 

Edit - the highlight of the game was just before ht when the ball hit the ref in the nuts. He was down for ages. Don’t rub them ref, count them 😂

Edited by The Mantis

20 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
On 21/12/2021 at 10:56, Charles Stiles said:

I've sat in a similar seat at St James' Park and I'd much rather be pitchside at Gayfield or wherever.

Why do you prefer to sit pitch side? I've never enjoyed a game when forced to sit near pitch level as your perspective is ruined in my opinion. 

Why do you prefer to sit pitch side? I've never enjoyed a game when forced to sit near pitch level as your perspective is ruined in my opinion. 
To use the St James' Park example, I couldn't even read the numbers on the back of the shirts and was so far away from the action I'd have been better off saving the £40 and going to an atmospheric pub and watching it on TV instead.

In contrast I was at the front of the Yellow Wall at Dortmund and you can hear the thud of boot on ball, see the rage on the keeper's face as he shouts at his defence. You feel part of the action.

Generally I like to sit/stand about ten rows back, but I'd rather be pitchside than row Z at a 50,000+ capacity stadium.

8 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

To use the St James' Park example, I couldn't even read the numbers on the back of the shirts and was so far away from the action I'd have been better off saving the £40 and going to an atmospheric pub and watching it on TV instead.

In contrast I was at the front of the Yellow Wall at Dortmund and you can hear the thud of boot on ball, see the rage on the keeper's face as he shouts at his defence. You feel part of the action.

Generally I like to sit/stand about ten rows back, but I'd rather be pitchside than row Z at a 50,000+ capacity stadium.

I'm usually on the line for Vale games and I've gotten used to being super close to the action. That said, when I go to other games I do prefer to have a bit of height, feel I see more of the game 

20 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Interesting thanks. My extreme contrasts are the back of the North Stand at Man United and pitch level at Hampden and Leeds. I wasn't sure who some of the players were at Old Trafford but I could see the whole game and how it was being played. At Hampden/Elland Road you couldn't tell things like where the ball was relative to the touchlines on the far sides, pre-VAR offsides and players were even blocking the action at times. It was like watching part of a game not it all. 

Getting a little less random now. Semi final second leg of the AFF Suzuki cup. Indonesia once again make hard work of things, this time against hosts Singapore.

First leg finished 1-1 (also went to that) and won this one 4-2 after extra time.

Indonesia were winning 1-0. Singapore go down to 10 men then immediately equalise.

Singapore then go down to 9 men in 67 minutes, then take the lead with 15 minutes to go.

Indonesia draw level with three minutes to go. Then in added time Singapore get a penalty which is saved and Indonesia have two solid chances to clinch it.

Indonesia then score in the first minute of extra time, then add another at the start of the second half of ET. 

The Singaporean keeper gets a straight red near the end to leave them with 8 men.

Not the best quality but highly entertaining game and a first match on Christmas day I have attended.

Indonesia will most likely play Thailand in the final, who should comfortably beat them. 

However, when you consider 23 of the 30 man squad of Indonesia is under 26 (13 under 22) and are coached by the ex-South Korean Manager from the 2018 WC. They may have a good few years ahead of them.

11A07882-5FA8-409A-8696-68B95526C469.thumb.jpeg.530504fa22455babbc9b156aab2e95d5.jpegF5D782C1-E8C9-4145-863A-530B8199789D.thumb.jpeg.cc02984550f6704eb86901b5fcfb0cf7.jpeg5A66167A-F2FA-4F32-984B-26AF6E057624.thumb.jpeg.ed784950f456ae1110a49fd2d783d19e.jpeg

Mansfield Town Vs Hartlepool United at the One Call Stadium (Field Mill) - currently 3-2 in the deteriorating and darkening fog![emoji15] Some comeback, The Stags were 2-0 down. 
94AC2C80-C924-42D0-AEA4-6AB174B616A1.thumb.jpeg.38030cf949c31e92d7f35b3e4b91d1a8.jpeg

ETA - FT

Mansfield Town 3 - J O'Toole (55') J Bowery (62') G Maris (66')

Hartlepool United 2 - L Molyneux (25') N Featherstone (51')

Attendance 5,558.