Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Went to Korea vs Japan in the Asian Games final on Saturday. Korea won 2-1 after extra time and their players now avoid the mandatory military service after winning a gold medal.

Took 3 hours to travel the 40km to the game from Jakarta - traffic even more unbelievable than usual.

image.png

Edited by Saigon Raider

54 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

That Everton boy who scored a hattrick look good, or was it just diddy defending? 

When an Everton player scores 3 it would hint hugely at that ... 

The first was a pen but the other 2 he did take them well. He’s a big lad. 

Heading to Spartans v Whitehill in Lowland League today.

ETA:  Finished 1-0 to Spartans but win was far more comfortable than the score suggests. Whitehill look like they will struggle this year.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Jute

Edinburgh Uni 1 v 5 Stirling Uni, Lowland League.

I've previously been sceptical about the university teams in the fifth tier of Scottish football. I unreservedly take that back.

This was one of the most enjoyable, civilised experiences I've had watching non-league football. In fact, given the choice of any place to watch football in Edinburgh, I'd choose here.

The ground is very smart and tidy, with modern and well maintained facilities. They've got the best written programme I think I've ever read. Not a massive amount in it, but it's not cluttered by adverts and pictures - just lots if text in good prose. The pavillion is a very civilised place to be before the match with good pies, mugs of tea and home baking. If you're a sad old bagger like me it's nirvana. The walls are lined with annual team photos, and I found among the 1994-95 team the massive red-headed Northern Irish guy I fouled in an intramural match by kicking in the oxter.

The pitch is maybe just shy of premier league standard, only falling short by being less than completely flat. Nothing that would affect the roll of the ball though. The stand is perfect for this level, four rows of seats and well covered, with clear plastic ends for visibility in the corners. The Pentlands make a great backdrop to the view.

Back-to-middle there was little difference between the teams, but going forward Stirling have four properly talented guys. I don't know anything about these teams, so I don't know if they're new or have been there a while; all I can say is that, in terms of technique, they could play upper end of League One. Physicality might be a problem though. The admission fee was worth it for the fourth goal alone, a sumptuous, controlled side-foot volley close to the ground from the edge of the box, curled low into the far corner. 

Only 48 watching, which is a real shame because it deserves more. If I were an Edinburgh alumnus who lived locally, I'd definitely be down here most home games.

Not the best pictures, but others take better ground photos than me.

IMG_20180908_150116801_HDR.jpg

I've previously been sceptical about the university teams in the fifth tier of Scottish football. I unreservedly take that back.
This was one of the most enjoyable, civilised experiences I've had watching non-league football. In fact, given the choice of any place to watch football in Edinburgh, I'd choose here.
The ground is very smart and tidy, with modern and well maintained facilities. They've got the best written programme I think I've ever read. Not a massive amount in it, but it's not cluttered by adverts and pictures - just lots if text in good prose. The pavillion is a very civilised place to be before the match with good pies, mugs of tea and home baking. If you're a sad old bagger like me it's nirvana. The walls are lined with annual team photos, and I found among the 1994-95 team the massive red-headed Northern Irish guy I fouled in an intramural match by kicking in the oxter.
The pitch is maybe just shy of premier league standard, only falling short by being less than completely flat. Nothing that would affect the roll of the ball though. The stand is perfect for this level, four rows of seats and well covered, with clear plastic ends for visibility in the corners. The Pentlands make a great backdrop to the view.
Back-to-middle there was little difference between the teams, but going forward Stirling have four properly talented guys. I don't know anything about these teams, so I don't know if they're new or have been there a while; all I can say is that, in terms of technique, they could play upper end of League One. Physicality might be a problem though. The admission fee was worth it for the fourth goal alone, a sumptuous, controlled side-foot volley close to the ground from the edge of the box, curled low into the far corner. 
Only 48 watching, which is a real shame because it deserves more. If I were an Edinburgh alumnus who lived locally, I'd definitely be down here most home games.
IMG_20180908_150116801_HDR.thumb.jpg.1274cb8905b5521f111098dac7c8cfac.jpg
I couldn't agree more! I went to my first game there this season quickly followed by my second. It's a fantastic backdrop for a game, and dead handy for me since I live south of the city. I'm definitely going to go to more games there in future.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

IMG_20180908_150116801_HDR.jpg

sounds really good,ill need to make a visit,despite being ex-GU myself

4 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

sounds really good,ill need to make a visit,despite being ex-GU myself

I'm ex-GU too. Today made me realise that if they were in the LL or EoS I'd be looking out for their scores every week, and if they had a home like Edinburgh I'd be going to the odd match fairly often.

Newcastle Benfield 1-1 Workington Reds, in front of around 200-250, 60 or so from West Cumbria. Was a decent game, Workington were the better side as you'd expect from a club who have done pretty well in the Northern Premier League in the last few seasons. Benfield were spirited though and had one or two really tidy players who could do a job at a higher level.

The ground and set up reminded me of a good Glasgow junior club, very well run and a friendly welcome, with the social club going like a fair.

Reply is I think in midweek and Workington really should prevail at home.41309084_278787782941017_7349213858394800128_n.thumb.jpg.40a2cb8fee506e5caede08ff709e7bd7.jpg41396093_814835178907831_3159642895175122944_n.thumb.jpg.d15bfa7ec04bcd2c36f436b10f6bd0d8.jpg

41325608_2190597301264446_6519970980524195840_n.jpg

4 hours ago, Tynierose said:

I'm being dragged to Bohemians v Zlin on Friday night by that ground hopping oddball @Audaces Fortuna Juvat .  No doubt he has some ridiculous 8th tier game lined up for Saturday 

I do mate, I do.

Beer is £1 a pint at Czech football, so dry yer eyes. And it is Bohemians 1905.

4 hours ago, Tynierose said:

I'm being dragged to Bohemians v Zlin on Friday night by that ground hopping oddball @Audaces Fortuna Juvat .  No doubt he has some ridiculous 8th tier game lined up for Saturday 

Going over there on Friday the 28th for a few days. I see Bohemians are at home but fixtures are still to be finalised.

Inverkeithing v St Andrews for me yesterday. Fairly comfortable 2-0 win for the visitors.

Edited by The Mantis
Yeah i was going to point out it's 1905