Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

On 2/10/2018 at 22:38, Tibbermoresaint said:

Hoffenheim 4 Mainz 2 this afternoon. Utterly Baltic so I had my first-ever gluhwein at a match. Followed shortly after by my second-ever..

Sounds like a decent game to have gone to, but you really should never have to put up with Glühwein. I don't care how cold it is, the stuff is fucking horrendous. Beer and Würst all the way...

15 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

With the boss away for the weekend went to East Kilbride v WW yesterday via Celtic 3 Partick Thistle 2. 

I hate to tell you this Rab but she actually left you in July 2015.

General question to folk that travel to the continent for matches from Central Scotland - what would you say the best trips are in terms of affordability/ availability of flights and easiness to get tickets, etc?

Thinking Germany but would give anything a shot. 

42 minutes ago, Shanner said:

General question to folk that travel to the continent for matches from Central Scotland - what would you say the best trips are in terms of affordability/ availability of flights and easiness to get tickets, etc?

There are loads of cheap, short flights to Brussels from where every Belgian ground is within two hours or so travel as are places like Lille and Eindhoven. Ticketing isn't much of an issue either.
There are loads of cheap flights to Poland where they have lots of nice, large stadia from having hosted the Euros. A recent trip there cost me less in travel, accommodation, tickets, food & drink than an overnight stay in Dundee for the Thistle game a few weeks later.
I wouldn't bother with Nordic football.

11 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

There are loads of cheap, short flights to Brussels from where every Belgian ground is within two hours or so travel as are places like Lille and Eindhoven. Ticketing isn't much of an issue either.
There are loads of cheap flights to Poland where they have lots of nice, large stadia from having hosted the Euros. A recent trip there cost me less in travel, accommodation, tickets, food & drink than an overnight stay in Dundee for the Thistle game a few weeks later.
I wouldn't bother with Nordic football.

Cheers. Poland is an interesting one I hadn't considered and as you say cheap as chips.

I was actually looking at Eindhoven earlier in the year but it seemed a hassle getting normal priced tickets because of the registration scheme they have.  Ended up offering me some overpriced package which I declined. 

3 hours ago, Shanner said:

I was actually looking at Eindhoven earlier in the year but it seemed a hassle getting normal priced tickets because of the registration scheme they have.  Ended up offering me some overpriced package which I declined. 

Have a look at FC Eindhoven, me and a mate saw them at the start of this season. Lovely little stadium, not too far from the city and cheap beer! 

4 hours ago, Shanner said:

Cheers. Poland is an interesting one I hadn't considered and as you say cheap as chips.

polands good-as has been said,cheap(though its slowly getting pricier as their economys buoyant), and easy enough to get to. The footys not great and you have to be wary of where you sit, being in with the ultras isn't a good idea-at best youll feel very uncomfortable, more likely youll be told to leave. Due to previous hooligan problems theyre very strict re ticket sales.ideally get your tickets long prior to the game,if you turn up with 5 mins to spare at a top division game you will miss kick off! you need your passport/id to buy them too.

Gdansk in the north is handy for Lechia and Arka Gydnia next door, Krakow for Wisla&cracovia with the teams of Polands industrial belt-piast Gliwice,gornik zbreze,katowice are a short train ride to the west.

Wroclaw is hand for slask,lech Poznan and zaglebie lubin

20 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

polands good-as has been said,cheap(though its slowly getting pricier as their economys buoyant), and easy enough to get to. The footys not great and you have to be wary of where you sit, being in with the ultras isn't a good idea-at best youll feel very uncomfortable, more likely youll be told to leave. Due to previous hooligan problems theyre very strict re ticket sales.ideally get your tickets long prior to the game,if you turn up with 5 mins to spare at a top division game you will miss kick off! you need your passport/id to buy them too.

Gdansk in the north is handy for Lechia and Arka Gydnia next door, Krakow for Wisla&cracovia with the teams of Polands industrial belt-piast Gliwice,gornik zbreze,katowice are a short train ride to the west.

Sounds like you have experience so not doubting this is true, but it's a surprising one. I haven't seen football in Poland, but I was with the ultras at Besiktas a few years ago - not long after the Leeds' fans were stabbed in the same city - and was made to feel welcome.

First trip to the Saughton Enclosure last night. It's rather charming in its own way...

There are signs of a wee stand or terrace being installed. Playing surface was nowhere near as dire/boggy as I had feared.

LTHV 1 Kelty 0. Game settled by an excellent own goal, always pleasing to see an own goal which isn't a deflection, but rather is drilled home with gusto.

Top marks for the pies, and the wee quirk I enjoyed was the half and half corner flags with the crests of both home teams playing there.

20180214_194052.jpg

19 hours ago, Shanner said:

I went to Union Berlin Vs Nürnberg a few weeks ago. Incredible atmosphere, £11 tickets.

Loved it.

2 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

Cheers that's very helpful, appreciate it. 

4 hours ago, Shanner said:

Cheers, eindhoven a decent city in it's own right then? 

Yeah fine for a day out, plenty of decent bars in the town itself! 

1 hour ago, Disco Dave said:

I went to Union Berlin Vs Nürnberg a few weeks ago. Incredible atmosphere, £11 tickets.

Loved it.

How did you find the Berlin fans? We got told to f**k off before even getting in the ground when we tried to go last year.