Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Good luck getting round those NL. I've started putting my grounds into that site - expecting it to be around 250. I've been to 41 out of the 42 in Scotland, 58 of the 92 down South.

Went Leith Athletic v Coldstream today for the opening of their new ground at Meadowbank.

Cool website. I've been using a spread sheet to keep track of the grounds I've visited! I'm currently trying to do all the SPL/SFL grounds. I've recently done Kilmarnock, Greenock and Queen of the South. Before the end of the season I'll also have St Mirren and Annan off the list too which would leave me with 17 grounds to do.

My next random game then will be Annan v Montrose on the 4th of May.

Certain members of my family seem to think I'm crazy as I often have to do trips to Dumfries and Greenock on my own. If Aberdeen are involved it is fairly easy to find a few folk who fancy going. However finding people who want to leave Aberdeen at 7am and not get back until after midnight for a game in Dumfries is a different matter. I don't drive so I entirely rely on public transport as well but planning and working out how to get to certain grounds is part of the challenge for me.

Once I've done the SPL/SFL grounds I am considering doing the Highland League grounds next.

My story is very similar to that, I had 11 left to do when I moved to Scotland in November, so just got them all done in the space of about 3 months. All done by public transport, almost all on my own. Finished off at Motherwell on a Friday night about 5 weeks ago.

You should have known better- Whitehill for thrills!

It was surreal to see Edgar Davids play at Underhill, a ground reminiscent of a SFL 1st Division ground. His pace wasn't the fastest but to be honest he looked as if he could still do a job in the SPL!

There was a pitch invasion at the end but the crowd soon went back to the terraces and the Barnet team did a lap of honour. This was the last Barnet game at their ground although other teams seem to be using it through to July (Spurs v Arsenal U21s was scheduled for the Monday night following). Strange thing was no-one was trying to take any fixtures and fittings as souvenirs, compared to the last game at Hibs East Terracing where just about everything was nicked (I may just have my own little souvenir of that one... ;):whistle )

You should have known better- Whitehill for thrills!

It was surreal to see Edgar Davids play at Underhill, a ground reminiscent of a SFL 1st Division ground. His pace wasn't the fastest but to be honest he looked as if he could still do a job in the SPL!

There was a pitch invasion at the end but the crowd soon went back to the terraces and the Barnet team did a lap of honour. This was the last Barnet game at their ground although other teams seem to be using it through to July (Spurs v Arsenal U21s was scheduled for the Monday night following). Strange thing was no-one was trying to take any fixtures and fittings as souvenirs, compared to the last game at Hibs East Terracing where just about everything was nicked (I may just have my own little souvenir of that one... ;):whistle )

Went to Underhill a couple of years ago. Will need to try and get along to the Hive next season.

Newcastle v Liverpool at the end of April. Will be in the Toon for a stag do.

Was a decent enough game, albeit very one sided. Could tell within the first few minutes that Liverpool were going to tank them. Never seen a defence organised so poorly in my entire life, with no one seeming to try and change it.. Liverpool fans were on form, Newcastle fans, perhaps unsurprisingly were not.

• 2 weeks later...

Did FC Utrecht v Heracles Alamo last Sunday.

Really enjoyed it. Lovely smart ground, very family oriented set up for the kids outside the stadium. Lots of things for the kids to do.

Never encountered this before though. If you wanted to buy any food or drink in the ground you had to change your Euro's into tokens from a machine. A beer (which you could drink in your seat) was 4 tokens, meat balls in a roll 3 and soft drinks was 2. Saved so much time not having to a queue for your change.

Really enjoyed it. Lovely smart ground, very family oriented set up for the kids outside the stadium. Lots of things for the kids to do.

Never encountered this before though. If you wanted to buy any food or drink in the ground you had to change your Euro's into tokens from a machine. A beer (which you could drink in your seat) was 4 tokens, meat balls in a roll 3 and soft drinks was 2. Saved so much time not having to a queue for your change.

Happens quite a bit in Holland. With no cash changing hands it gives no opportunities for pilfering. I've not seen it anywhere else in Europe though.

Happens quite a bit in Holland. With no cash changing hands it gives no opportunities for pilfering. I've not seen it anywhere else in Europe though.

There's a smart-card system in operation at FC Augsburg's stadium also, with machines all around the concourses where you can load your card up with credit. I'm not sure that it really speeds things up though, you need to queue to load your card up, then queue for your food/drinks.

Based in China just now. Off tomorrow to see Hangzhou Greentown against last year's league & cup winners, Guangzhou Evergrande (managed by Marcello Lippi).

Not expecting much, Guangzhou are a reasonable side, but Chinese football is fairly mediocre. Most teams consist of 7 - 8 locals combined with South American & Eastern European journeymen.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sadly not in that bracket any more! :lol: They'll have to be the same price as the home end I would think, not sure if they'll put you on the terracing behind the goal or at the far end of the seated stand.

Doing a few random games at the start of the season to tick off as many grounds as I can off my list while the weather (is theoretically) going to be OK.

Annan v Morton in the Challenge Cup on the 27th of July

Dumbarton v Falkirk on the 10th of August

Stirling v East Stirling on the 24th of August

Cowdenbeath v Falkirk on the 14th of September.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to watch my local side on Saturday, FC Aarau. At home to Luzern, first home league game of the season after being promoted back to the top division here. 8000 sell out, mostly standing, beer on tap and glorious sunshine. The ground would struggle for a safety cert in Scotland, I've certainly visited grounds in the juniors that were in better condition, but the atmosphere was top notch.

Aarau won 4-2 with all 6 goals coming in the first half.

Thinking about going to the Emirates Cup in a few weeks if there's still tickets left. Last time I looked you could get them for £28 which isn't too bad for 2 games and a chance to see the stadium. The other teams are Napoli, Galatasary and Porto.