Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

On 13/11/2022 at 00:21, tamthebam said:

Did you see the Stag's head in the club shop?

Visited Buxton a few years ago. They were managed by ex-Hibee Martin McIntosh at the time.

Got a letter published in When Saturday Comes a while back when they were doing a theme of running into footballers.

They were impressed with the time I ran into McIntosh in East Kilbride after Hibs had taken a 3-0 scudding at Parkhead. I entered into some light ribbing in a cash machine queue and MM informed me that 'I couldn't care less, I wasn't playing, it's good for me'.

Insight into the mind of the pro that finished my childhood.

Edited by DoingThe42

29/42: Annan 1-3 Elgin, League Two, 19/11/2022.

A really enjoyable game at Galabank. Elgin had already hit the post before they went ahead through a goal credited to Findlay (*conflicting reports here, it may have been Mailer, depending on who you believe - I'm leaning towards Mailer) after a wee stramash on the goalline from a corner. Not seen it on the highlights yet, but refreshing to see a goal allowed after a challenge on the keeper. Cameron put them two up with a shot I'm pretty sure took a decent deflection to go over the keeper, sounded that way.

Annan came back strongly in the second half and scored a good free-kick by Reece Lyon. Was also impressed by their sub Chris Johnston, who bears a slight resemblance to Messi. He was tricky and put some good balls into the box.

Elgin ultimately dug it out, though. Special mention to Darryl McHardy who seemed to spend the whole game making mistakes and then screaming at this teammates for them.

Elgin sealed the win with a late goal against the run of play, but over the 90 minutes they probably looked the better side. That's them up to third and from what I've seen of them so far, I'll be surprised if they don't end up in the play-offs. A well-organised side with a goal threat. In League Two that takes you a long way.

Had the car with me yesterday, which is quite annoying as that wee social club at Annan seems like a decent place to sit and have a few pints, but I've never been down without the car. Still, a good day at a good club and an enjoyable game. Still f**k all luck with the half-time draw. Winning ticket yesterday 6666, surely a fix!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by DoingThe42

Inter San Francisco 5-0 Davis Legacy. 3rd qualifying round of Lamar Hunt US Open Cup. Game was played at the Beach Chalet Soccer Fields on the Ocean side of Golden Gate Park. Game was delayed for 15 minutes as the Davis player with the strips was late and in the end they started with only 9 players. 9 men were then reduced to 8 men due injury but managed to get to half time at 0-0 however with Inter bring on fresh legs at half time they eventually broke down the Davis resistance and Inter scored 2 quick goals in the second half. Davis were then reduced to 7 as another player had to go off injured before Inter grabbed a third. 

ETA looks like they got another 2 in last 5 minutes after I headed back to pub. 

9353468B-F293-4765-9F63-3921FEAFB9A9.jpeg

556CF6B9-4638-42A8-B881-925DF4B851F7.jpeg

BDFF93ED-757C-4158-91DD-5501E6E00943.jpeg

Edited by Jute

3 hours ago, Jute said:

Inter San Francisco 5-0 Davis Legacy. 3rd qualifying round of Lamar Hunt US Open Cup. Game was played at the Beach Chalet Soccer Fields on the Ocean side of Golden Gate Park. Game was delayed for 15 minutes as the Davis player with the strips was late and in the end they started with only 9 players. 9 men were then reduced to 8 men due injury but managed to get to half time at 0-0 however Inter bring on fresh legs at half time eventually broke down the Davis resistance and Inter scored 2 quick goals in the second half. Davis were then reduced to 7 as another player had to go off injured before Inter grabbed a third. 

ETA looks like they got another 2 in last 5 minutes after I headed back to pub. 

9353468B-F293-4765-9F63-3921FEAFB9A9.jpeg

556CF6B9-4638-42A8-B881-925DF4B851F7.jpeg

BDFF93ED-757C-4158-91DD-5501E6E00943.jpeg

Even the ground names are wrong. Can't  they just use proper names like Gasworks Park, Station Park etc?

And the tournament name...

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Rutherglen Glencairn 2-2 Neilston, WoSFL First Division, 23/11/22

A dreadful first half of 'action' followed by a really entertaining second half.

Little happened before the break, with the only real flashes of skill provided by Neilston's Peter Haggarty on the left wing. Sadly, he faded out the game and got hooked in the second half.

Glens went ahead in the second half with a long-range shot that possibly took a deflection. It certainly confused the keeper and looked a strange one to me. Neilston came back into it and got themselves ahead.

Their equaliser came from a penalty for which the keeper didn't receive a card for the foul. Neilston's bench (right in front of me) erupted in fury at no red card, or even a yellow. The referee explained to them exactly why. It was an attempt to play the ball, so a red is downgraded to yellow, a yellow downgraded to nothing. In this case, the attacker was going away from goal so it's a yellow downgraded to nothing as it's a penalty.

I thought the referee handled the situation really well, but the full Neilston coaching staff, quite inexplicably, seemed not to know the rules of the game that they coach a team to play in, and just kept giving him abuse until he booked one of them (I think Derek Carson). Mad behaviour. Who'd be a ref?

Anyway, Neilston were the better side overall, but failed to see it out and Glens got a late equaliser after really poor defending from a cross ball.

So, a really enjoyable second half, with four goals, both teams hitting the bar, the penalty controversy, and some decent passages of play.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Motherwell 6-0 Hearts - SFA Youth Cup, K-Park, 25/11/2022.

Hearts' youngsters fail miserably to honour the anniversary of Robbie Neilson's famous last-minute winner in Basel in the 2004-05 UEFA Cup group stage by taking an absolute chasing from Motherwell.

It was 5-0 after 30 minutes and a genuine bloodbath seemed on the cards. Fortunately, Motherwell seemed to ease off a bit and Hearts stabilised things, with the loss of only one goal in the second half seeming merciful.

Not much celebrity spotting at this one, Stevie Frail being the only one I noticed.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

2 hours ago, centralTon said:

IMG_6592.jpg@DoingThe42
Not a random match as it was Cove v Morton last Saturday. However, with that stadium ticked off it’s 42/42 for my son and 40/42 for me.

Congratulations to your lad! Hope to join him soon.

I quite enjoyed my day at Cove. Could do with a closer pub, mind.

Edited by DoingThe42

Kilwinning Rangers 0-1 Glenafton, WoSFL Premier Division, 25/11/2022

A last-gasp winner for the visitors here in a game that should never have taken so long to produce a goal. Woodwork was hit, chances missed, lots of heavy tackles. All in, a really decent game and a very well-taken goal to finish it, although he should never have been played on by lazy home defending.

Two games today, and a decent enough Friday.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Runcorn Linnets 2-1 Macclesfield 

Northern Premier League: Division 1 West clash between the table-topping visitors and a home side firmly in the play-off positions. Very open end to end game. The home side, (who lost the promotion play-off up to the Northern Premier League proper last season against Marine) were probably the better side first half, yet found themselves 0-1 down to the leaders about ten minutes before the break.

The game turned 5 minutes later with a straight red for a proper forwards two footed lunge by the Macclesfield number 9, apparently on his debut! Two minutes into the 2nd half a peach of a free kick from the edge of the box restored parity. An injury to the Macclesfield keeper (a Brazilian lad on loan from Liverpool) proved to be the second turning point, with no sub goalie on the bench we got the always exciting sight of an outfield player pulling on the top. To be fair the Macclesfield defence managed to keep his shot stopping interventions down to a minimum but with 20 minutes remaining they conceded what was to be the winning penalty with a lazy leg out tackle on the edge of the box.

Both teams should be in the running for the title in this division come the end of the season.PXL_20221122_203307133.thumb.jpg.b084a7a71dcf522cc9d0fd741267173b.jpgPXL_20221122_213516372_MP.thumb.jpg.11b5d7a2790f942bff5757cf4acac198.jpg

Impromptu fireworks display right outside the ground seemed a weird seemingly-unrelated interlude with 10 mins remaining but did serve to gee up the loud celebrating home fans further as the game closed out. The game apparently marked a record 1,080 attendance for a league game for the home team

No sign of Macc DoF Robbie Savage, though they did include Ex-Palace, Leicester and Guyana international Neil Danns

Edited by Christophe

A good first half from the Linnets. Even then, Stevenage were just a half yard sharper. 

Didn't come out in the second half. 

Over 4000 there today. Great for the club. 

Vale of Leven 4-1 Royal Albert
A good day out despite horrible conditions. Lovely ground and I've received a great welcome by members of both committees. Vale were easily the better side and thoroughly deserved the win, which was a very important one for them. Great seeing @Craig fae the Vale again too.
6c7eff8ad087fd653a6565e378bd4982.jpgc744b8bcaf660b63c057a807565e743b.jpg39b5ba684778e1107eb7caf07d74857f.jpg7b792c5389b7499215d7b8ba985ed1b3.jpgfb9a394cd8fb38ccc50d7d0b53e43a01.jpgcb5d6024b332cf1f76b362ee6e904014.jpg

Edited by Marten

Greenock Morton V Queen of the South. Scottish cup round 3. 4-1 to The Ton. 1614. Crowd 1614. £18 no programme but free team sheet. 

A real treat today. Finally managed to tick of Cappielow Park. A perfect day for football, cold, wet and windy and a cracking cup tie. A deflected shot by Robbie Muirhead put the home side ahead but QOS fought back to equalise on the half hour mark. Both teams had chances but it stood 1-1 at the break. 

Second half continued to be even end to end, but with 15 to go, Morton won a free tick on the right after Quitongo pulled a Ton player back. Man of the match Robbie Muirhead then hit a left footed shot over the wall and beat the keeper at the near post. Morton had took control, and then won a penalty with two minutes to go which Gillespie converted after Muirhead handed him the ball. Morton then scored a fourth in injury time to put a very comfortable score in what was a tighter game than 4-1 suggests. 

IMG_20221126_152138.jpg

IMG_20221126_171150.jpg

IMG_20221126_160054.jpg

Western League Premier : Clevedon Town 2 Welton Rovers 1 att 102. Scrappy affair between two Somerset (ex) giants. Two goals from Archie Ferris settle the score, not greatest quality but plenty of effort at least. A lot of the Bristol and Somerset clubs struggling for support now that the old guys have died off, and youngsters are either playing or have other interests.20221126_145237.thumb.jpg.ed824aa3b3958545417eaebe5435b994.jpg20221126_145252.thumb.jpg.bea0e0490a4ea0207453be606bd1f5cc.jpg

Scottish Cup day, pretty uninspiring draw, so Hill of Beath v Elgin was my pick.

Connelly put the Haws ahead but Dingwall and Hester won it for Elgin. Ross Allum won and missed an early second half pen as Mailer was sent off for a DOGSO but Haws never really capitalised and Elgin are in the draw for round 4. About 600 in attendance.

R5__6692.thumb.JPG.499a5a511e935d50cc4ccdcb6f324f51.JPG

R5__6732.thumb.JPG.e640bc555fbaf9b58b0e8646e388639c.JPG

R5__6744.thumb.JPG.889378d622d410c4d670a0b42d20c37f.JPG

IMG_7691.thumb.JPG.3b8d4230c8455187b2b3e8c4c8090525.JPG

R5__6748.thumb.JPG.09df943899ba95c33731ab7ff9de3dee.JPG

Edited by The Mantis

30/42: Hamilton Accies 4-0 East Kilbride, Scottish Cup, 26/11/2022

EK made a strong start here, played some nice stuff and should probably have been ahead early on. It was hard to make a case that Accies deserved their half-time lead. The first 45 were really poor in general.

Second half Accies really stepped it up and could have scored a few more.

Watching Accies seems quite a grim experience. I know it was a cup tie against a side leagues below, but the place just felt dead and the young team's drum is oppressively loud. Maybe the least enjoyable club I've visited this season.

Main point of note in Andy Ryan getting the second hat-trick of my 42 season, joining Dale Carrick in the club. His last goal was a beautiful chip.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg