Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

1 hour ago, DoingThe42 said:

19/42: Montrose 1-1 Falkirk, League One, 15/10/22.

First time at Links Park for me, and went together nicely with the following day's game at Aberdeen.

Enjoyed the Golf Inn before the game, and Links is a decent ground.

Montrose started the better side, and it wasn't much surprise when McKinnon put them ahead. They lost McAllister up front, but still seemed the better side to me until McGuffie equalised with a really nice goal for Falkirk.

Either side could have won it in an enjoyable second half, but a draw was probably fair.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Do you pay royalties to subjects in your photographs? 😉

Rangers B 4-1 East Stirlingshire. 

Took up my dad's offer of a pie snd bovril snd went along to this. Shire had scored before the advertised kick off time, and then withstood a barrage of pressure before conceding just before half time. The Young Gers took control after the break to take all three points.

20221018_194340.jpg

Clyde 0-2 Dunfermline, League One, 18/10/22.

A tough ask for Clyde tonight, but they didn't disgrace themselves against a Dunfermline side that's just miles better.

Dunfermline didn't impress, but they didn't really have to either. A first-half goal from Wighton came after Clyde gave the ball away cheaply, allowing their lack of pace at the back to be exposed. The second was a last-minute shot from distance into the empty net with Parry out of position as Clyde tried to push for an equaliser. In reality, Clyde never looked like scoring and Dunfermline saw it out pretty easily.

The ref managed to book 8 players in a game with no real malice in it. All because he forced himself into booking a Pars player (I missed who) for a first-half foul by blowing too early and denying Clyde an advantage. One of those where the ref books someone to save face, and that set a new standard so it was cards all round. Poor and needless.

Went and sat with a mate who was doing stats work in the press area second half. Very fancy. Right next to the Pars fans. A good number of them, but more or less quiet as a mouse for the entire evening. If you didn't look over, you wouldn't have known they were there.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by DoingThe42

Bonnyrigg Rose 🌹 1-4 East Fife @ New Dundas Park 🌱. cinch League 2. The home side ahead after only 2 minutes, and led for exactly an hour, before East Fife turned 🔄 the game on its head with 3 goals in 5 minutes, and another late on, to secure the 3 points. Crowd 933.

B1871CB7-D229-4B9C-A09E-57339B0EA370.jpeg

4E8FC44A-ACD7-41C4-9227-8F6B0260FE09.jpeg

6367BC6C-806E-4F57-878E-A828F313BAE5.jpeg

94135852-AD44-4E3E-B7CF-6DDC364C887A.jpeg

Falkirk 3-1 Alloa Athletic 🐝 @ Falkirk Stadium. cinch 🚗 League One. The Bairns prove too strong for the Wasps scoring twice in the opening 7 minutes and making it 3-0 just before half-time. Alloa came to life very late on pulling a goal back and almost added a 2nd. Crowd 3847.

0EBC2986-57ED-4061-81FE-83963AAF930D.jpeg

AE752912-B927-4CBB-9901-6FB6F8E052A5.jpeg

D774FF75-68F6-480B-8AD2-7FC58307225F.jpeg

Last week I went to Imortal DC 0-3 Farense SC in the Taça De Portugal.

Imortal DC play in Albufeira, it was a good 40 minute walk from my apartment plus a further 25 mins to get a cash point when I discovered I had left my euros at home.

A pretty weird but good experience.

Obviously you were able to get a beer which would have been an amazing change of pace had I not been for a curry the night before and my stomach was in absolute pieces so I didn’t want to rock the boat.

Imortal  play in the 4th tier of Portugal so the result wasn’t surprising given Farense play in the second tier.

The standard wasn’t great in all honesty, I was expecting Farense to be a bit better than they were although perhaps Imortal brought them down a level, but based on that it is fairly easy to see why Ryan Gauld did so well there.

Considering Gauld left ages ago, I was a bit surprised when there was a man sitting near me with a Farense top on with “R. Gauld 23” on the back.

I somehow ended up in the Farense end and they had a pretty cool little ultras section where they all had “Farense Ultras” bucket hats on and made a decent noise given their numbers.

It probably was a fairly local derby given Farense are based only half an hour along the road in Faro but having said that it’s probably the equivalent of Falkirk v Cumbernauld Colts or something.

Nevertheless, good weather, something different and great to get away from the British tourists and surround myself with locals for a while in a very tourist dominated area.

10D2E042-4E9A-4FB4-960F-7CC18174C56B.thumb.jpeg.5b628dcadb0f96f3be31cda98e420c1b.jpeg

Only a quickie: with all these foreign games, do you all make trips over there - or are some ex pat's ?

Bit of both for me, though I prefer the term immigrant to ex pat. Got a slew of games in both Cypruses coming up. Think that'll be me at around 20-25 foreign countries I've seen league action in.

University of Strathclyde 3s 4-2 Glasgow University 3s.

A thoroughly enjoyable game even if the wind was absolutely bracing. Strathclyde raced into a 2-0 lead within 5 minutes, but Glasgow pulled it back to 2-2 before half time. An excellent second half from the hosts saw them take all three points. 

20221019_140117.jpg

Cadiz 0 - 0 Real Betis

Betis made seven changes from the weekend and it showed badly. Cadiz were unbeaten in four and had the more dangerous chances butblafked quality in front of goal. 41 year old Joaquin forced the home keeper into his only save with a header that he probably should have buried.

Better game than the score suggested and the home fans were a noisy bunch. Going by the stickers around the city they are a bunch of lefties also so straight into the good guy pile.

fab92d90fffb51631b2673b2cc55250d.jpg

On 19/10/2022 at 15:37, Andy groundhopper said:

Only a quickie: with all these foreign games, do you all make trips over there - or are some ex pat's ? Some brilliant games , venues, photos, the Czech one seemed great. Have done Juventus (old ground) Sweden (4 games) and Poland (4) in my younger days. Keep up the good work folks.

Yes. I make one trip a year. Twice this year as I'd missed so much football because of COVID. Denmark and Sweden.

Been watching football abroad since 2010, though I've seen Celtic away in Europe many times before that in the 90s and early 2000s.

The Czech one I did in September was one of my favourites. Lots of things came together perfectly for it. Multiple games in a day at several different levels, easy travel, cheap tickets, good food and beer, weather was perfect. Programmes at all of the matches bar one. 

I give myself a different challenge or theme each time. First it was one game on a trip at a big club, then two or three in one city over a weekend. I then got more confident and tried to broaden it by travelling around the country a bit more. 

Then I decided two game's in a day, followed by two games in two different countries in a day (done this twice, Germany-Belgium and Denmark-Sweden). The Czech one I had three in a day, twice! Kick off times are perfect for this.

My next trip is in the planning stage. I would like to see a lot of the old GDR clubs and grounds. So hoping for match days to be kind. Erzgebirge Aue on a Friday or Monday night in January please fixture god's for travel purposes 🙏. So 3.Liga, Regionalliga Nordost and Oberliga rather than the top two divisions.

Thinking further ahead (2024). Three games in three different countries in a day is possible. Switzerland with Basel, Germany with either Freiburg or Karlsruhe and France with Strasbourg. Though Luxembourg-Germany-France or Belgium is also an option for this. 

1 hour ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Have just been to Rugby Park too, really good game, Killie pressure in 2nd half didnt bring rewards.Poor goal to concede, but some promising kids out there. 20221021_152356.thumb.jpg.081ebce0849eb1e56e085b5d78371ea6.jpg

Thought United's wee number 8 (with the afro) was the standout, but as you say, a number of promising looking youngsters on show.

21/42: HALFWAY KLAXON - Hibs 1-2 St Johnstone, Premiership, 21/10/22.

Clocking up halfway to the 42 with a strange experience of sitting in the Hibs end. Managed to dodge celebrating their goal or standing out for not doing so by just picking up my coffee and taking a drink of that. Happily for me, and the St Johnstone fans, the visitors turned it round after a really poor first-half display. Hibs had a lot of intensity, but I felt they did little with the energy they were putting into the game. May made St Johnstone look a different team when he came on, and the red card also had an impact. But I do feel Hibs had lost control before that.

The delays to check the goals for VAR issues were annoying, and this is the world we have now in the top flight. It didn't have a big bearing on the game tonight, but I'm not for it and even just the waiting around after goals is enough for a big no from me.

I think I did a good job of putting on my glum face after St Johnstone turned it around so as not to stick out from those around me. It was quite tough though.

Another terrible pie experience, as the pie stuck to the foil and the top lifted right off. Had to dig it out with my fingers and eat it in wee bits. Terribly undignified.

Still, a good night at the fitba, Well done to Hibs for the pricing, and well done to the St Johnstone fans for the noise they made throughout. I noticed many of them were late getting in, a long-standing Easter Road away end problem, and I wonder when something will be done about it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by DoingThe42