Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Double header today in two different countries. in my Scandinavian trip. 

First up was HB Køge V Esbjerg FB in the Danish 2nd tier, bottom 6. Esbjerg really had to win to give themselves any chance of staying up. And it all started so well as they took a 12 minute lead through a deft flick at the near post. But Køge who are the best of the worst thought back immediately as the centre half bulleted a header in from a corner, before a penalty just before half time from Køge gave them the lead which they never relinquished. Koge are managed by ex Liverpool player Daniel Agger and have ex Rangers player Jin Flanagan in their squad (though he wasn't playing today. Finished 2-1 with 775 attending.

Second match was over the other side of the øresund Bridge in Malmö. Who were playing Mjallby AIF in the Allsvenskan. I would have made this game 50 minutes before kick off. But the Øresund train was at the wrong platform and left hundreds of people (including a good number of Malmö supporters!) having to make the next train. Made the match with seconds to spare. 

THis was a quality match again. Mjallby have been a form side at the start of the season and this was 2nd V 3rd. Mjallby started the better but after about 20 minutes Malmö settled into their game and dominated from then on. It was no surprise when they took the lead after 35 minutes from a downward header at a corner and then scored the second two minutes later. The atmosphere was electronic from both sets of fans (approx 500/600 away) in the crowd of 19812. It finished 2-0 Malmö.

IMG_20220507_133531.jpg

IMG_20220507_192119.jpg

Køge used to be my local team (though the slightly further away but easier to get to Naestved were the team I watched the most). As with most Danish clubs they're an Inverness Caledonian Thistle-esque Frankenstein's monster amalgam of a club. Not that long ago one of their limbs won the Danish league but were then relegated the following year.

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Køge used to be my local team (though the slightly further away but easier to get to Naestved were the team I watched the most). As with most Danish clubs they're an Inverness Caledonian Thistle-esque Frankenstein's monster amalgam of a club. Not that long ago one of their limbs won the Danish league but were then relegated the following year.

Is it Herfløge they amalgamated with? How did fans take it? I know that the HB does stand for Herfløge Boldklubben. So I'm surprised the full name doesn't appear to be used.

Is it Herfløge they amalgamated with? How did fans take it? I know that the HB does stand for Herfløge Boldklubben. So I'm surprised the full name doesn't appear to be used.
Aye, Herføgle. Danish football were having their mid-nineties financial crisis like us, but instead of going into admin teams merged with other unstable clubs which prompted an Ann Budge-style "Too many diddy teams!" rant leading to more mergers. Hence the formation of clubs representing regions, like Nordsjaelland or Midtjylland. FCK were another beneficiary of consolidation.

To my knowledge the Danish fans didn't really have a problem. If Motherwell had merged with Hamilton there'd have been uproar, but as my Italian friend once put it to me: "The problem with you Scots is that you care too much about history."

East Craigie 0-1 North End
Midlands League (MD 36)
Att: ~200

279522390_726261161888383_5342242769084343837_n.jpg.874d90ae1598c9c160d1903ff4c6c2b5.jpg

Tbh the Shipbuilder were very disappointing, as despite their pressure, they found it very difficult to create any bone-fide chances. North End, were very good on the counter and nearly got a penalty at the end of the first period, as their striker was brought down by the EC #4 on the edge of the box - which arguably could have been a red card. Despite two great chances late on for East Craigie, it was North End who, deservedly, scored in the 91st minute to take the three points. For a side that were in with a shout of winning the league this afternoon, I wasn't impressed by them. The Tayport result really took the wind out their sails.

Think they've still got a Cup Final against Tayport to look forward to in the Inter-Regional Cup, which will apparently be played at Broughty Athletic's Whitton Park according to someone at the game.

A great season for the Shipbuilders, but their 142 year-wait for a League Title goes on.

Edited by Ray Patterson

Kopenhavn Derby Day today at Brondby Stadion. Brondby were so out of form they had gone from genuine title challengers to retain last year's title to now being 6th in the table, after seven straight defeats! Kopenhavn are also in a patching bit of form and can't seem to string two wins together as Midtylland are breathing heavily down there necks! (As I write they are winning 2-1 at Aalborg with 10 minutes left) 

There was 20 minutes of crowd silence at the start of the game as fans protested about no away fans being allowed for these games. So the electric atmosphere I'd expected was muted at the start as was the match. Brondby looked poor for large parts of the game as FCK dominated and took a deserved lead on 30 minutes. Brondby tried hard to get going but their decision making let them down at times. 

FCK were comfortable, a little too much really as Brondby fought to the end, the FCK right full back was set packing for two yellows on 87 minutes which gave the crowd a lift and they eventually got a just about deserved equaliser on 92 minute. 

1-1, 22405 crowd and tickets were a very reasonable 180KR (About £19/20!)

IMG_20220508_170547.jpg

IMG_20220508_175156.jpg

Barrow AFC 1-3 Northampton @ Holker Street 🌱.

Got another one ticked off from the 92 on Saturday afternoon. 

Dramatic final day in League 2 with the visitors 3-0 up after half an hour and set for promotion. However Bristol Rovers won 7-0 at home to Scunthorpe and edged them out on goal difference. Scenes 💥. Crowd 4603.

9B8C945E-4369-4587-ABBE-92CC3CCFEE65.jpeg

F1D36DF4-8037-4FDD-9A60-7C1054CCE11D.jpeg

12C91292-DC8C-4723-AD92-A3900544A042.jpeg

My busy, but extremely enjoyable week of football continues, with a match at Helsingborg IF in Sweden tonight. They were playing Norrkopping Ik. This was the poorest match so far with both teams having a slow start to the season. Norrkopping having the majority of the play and chances in the first half. The Second Helsingborg tried to take the lead but their decision making was very poor at times. Norrkopping got the winner on 70 minutes when the captain turned and scored in the box In front of the small away support. The atmosphere was good again despite there only being 6500 at the game. Traveled to Helsingborg via Helsingor in Denmark. Where you get the 20 ferry across the Øresund. Then a train back to Kopenhavn.

IMG_20220509_202040.jpg

IMG_20220509_202109.jpg

Schalke 3-2 St Pauli. Apologies if this doesn't go down well like the Liverpool games :lol: But I felt this was too good not to share. 

For the first time since 2019 (cheers Covid) I was back with the Iron Blue Heidelberg fan club to watch Schalke. Just being back was fantastic, seeing a lot of faces I hadn't seen for 3 years, but I don't think in my wildest dreams I could've imagined witnessing what I did. Thanks to Fortuna Dusseldorf beating Darmstadt on Friday evening, a win would secure promotion back to the Bundesliga for Schalke.

2-0 down after 17 minutes, it looked like we wouldn't witness it and we'd have to watch the final day back in Scotland to see if they could make the return, and then, the Roy of the Rovers-esque come back was on. A Simon Terodde penalty immediately after the restart gave us hope and he scored again with 20 to go. The tension in the stadium at this point was incredible. Then, substitute Rodrigo Zalazar emphatically finished to make it 3-2 on 78 minutes to wild celebrations in the Nordkurve. St Pauli ended with 9 men and had a penalty claim, but eventually, the final whistle blew and that was it!

There were tears, hugs and all manner of celebrations around me. I've honestly never experienced such euphoria at a match, and the noise was simply incredible. Even watching the highlights back I'm overwhelmed. Despite warnings against it, the fans invaded the pitch (I couldn't help myself) but it was pretty scary. The surge forward in the Nordkurve could have honestly caused a crush and it was rather unsettling looking back. Once at the front of the Nordkurve there's roughly a 10 foot drop to get trackside but I had no option but to brave it and go for it. Worth it in the end however as we stayed on the pitch for a long time after celebrating with fans and players alike. 

Sadly, my phone died at half time so I didn't get much content for myself. Was far too caught up in the moment anyway but this photo below is a cracker (albeit not mine). All in all a truly remarkable evening, a night and match I will never forget for the rest of my life. And next year I'll be back to watch Bundesliga action! 

image.thumb.png.d1dc366c693b69779eeebe363e0b80e9.png

Edinburgh City 2-0 Annan Athletic. Pretty even first half with City probably edging the chances. Second half City were the much better side and scored a couple of really good goals. Now have to be favourites to go up. Rain in second half was proper monsoon conditions and the decision not to sit in the stand proved to be an epic fail. Soaked to the skin.

CB97A602-EA67-4429-9F49-59A36D295B3B.jpeg

E3B8CE4B-05F0-4A87-9AAE-88AC93F2F1E2.jpeg

A640D801-4B78-4472-8E4C-4A2B33291520.jpeg

Edited by Jute

Spartans 1-3 Celtic @ Ainslie Park 🌱 in the Scottish Women’s Premier League 🏆 on Sunday. The home side battled away and pulled one back to make it 2-1 in the 2nd half but, as expected, Celtic ran out deserved winners. 🧮 Crowd 175.

36D71CAB-8B5A-436E-B52E-A2B386E4CFA3.jpeg

215DCD60-0DF1-4BC9-8EC1-4B64148F88C8.jpeg

DB239A39-DC4D-4AC4-ADCD-4A607A794665.jpeg

Sauchie 5-4 Jeanfield.

Wasn't going to bother with any games tonight but a lovely evening so bugger it went to Beechwood Park for the first time. Whit a game. Officially nothing to play for but a superb game of football. Cracking night, cracking ground, cracking folk, cracking scoreline. Not a record for me as I've seen a 9-2 before but still brilliant. Highly recommend a visit1aac73f861cc658d5f56b56aba7f6236.jpg76a70db9ec4827820cca69421a62ade9.jpg87e1faba906bd520fa9c02f01f144a71.jpg